Water In Lugaru 2

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Should Lugaru 2 have large bodies of water/water dynamics

Yes
84%
No
6%
Dont care
10%

Total votes: 615

Chubaka

Re: Water In Lugaru 2

Post by Chubaka » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:11 am

I would really like water also. I feel like it would add a lot to the game!

Xendrid

Post by Xendrid » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:17 am

Water is life itself. Of course I would like to see this element in game!

Endorgan

Post by Endorgan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:33 pm

I raise my open hand at these innocents, whose excited smiles gaze for the impossible, whereupon my palm comes to a gentle rest across my face.

Water: Good luck with that.

Chubaka

Post by Chubaka » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:43 am

Endorgan wrote:I raise my open hand at these innocents, whose excited smiles gaze for the impossible, whereupon my palm comes to a gentle rest across my face.

Your apparent superiority complex made me roll on the floor laughing, but to more directly raise question with your comments, what is so impossible about the implementation of water? As has been thoroughly covered by the Wolfire team, to do water well, or better than anyone else has done it could prove to be challenging to say the least, but to have simple water itself is, well, rather simple.

Naming something -- as simple as a colored plane with some simple shaders on it, along with the application of simple water-related physics like buoyancy -- as impossible seems a bit ridiculous.

capn.lee

Post by capn.lee » Sat May 01, 2010 12:00 am

i don't know, i remember water being quite a 'wow' feature when it showed up in Quake.

horizonbreakk

Post by horizonbreakk » Sat May 01, 2010 4:19 am

Take a look at the four elements. Air. Fire. Earth and Water.

Video games that have had great landscapes(sprawling hills and valleys) and textures (Earth)

Foliage movement and weather patterns (air)

Fire, in many different forms (fire)

Water (rain, precipitation effects, lakes, rivers)

Have all had a good, solid, realistic and beautiful feeling to me...so I say...water is a MUST. not a maybe.

(btw typing on 1/2hr sleep in past two days, dont expect this post to make too much sense.)

Sumguy720

Post by Sumguy720 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:01 am

I think what the past few posts have been missing that this topic touches on many times in the beginning is not the actual manifestation of water in the visual space of Overgrowth, but the gameplay implementation of water into the game itself.

You would have to allow fighting in the water, in my opinion. That would include animations for swimming, diving, and martial arts in a fluid-- which is just really weird. It would require a lot of difficult conceptualizing, and might not really pay back with very much.

Quite honestly, I think the time spent on implementing a good water system could be better used elsewhere.

Albeit I would not be opposed to shallow water, which is very cosmetic and would add a lot to the game, I think.

Ottster

Post by Ottster » Tue May 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Sumguy720 wrote:Quite honestly, I think the time spent on implementing a good water system could be better used elsewhere.

Albeit I would not be opposed to shallow water, which is very cosmetic and would add a lot to the game, I think.

ditto that

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue May 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Chubaka wrote:
Endorgan wrote:I raise my open hand at these innocents, whose excited smiles gaze for the impossible, whereupon my palm comes to a gentle rest across my face.

Your apparent superiority complex made me roll on the floor laughing, but to more directly raise question with your comments, what is so impossible about the implementation of water? As has been thoroughly covered by the Wolfire team, to do water well, or better than anyone else has done it could prove to be challenging to say the least, but to have simple water itself is, well, rather simple.

Naming something -- as simple as a colored plane with some simple shaders on it, along with the application of simple water-related physics like buoyancy -- as impossible seems a bit ridiculous.
I don't like to use this word, as it is overused, but it seemed quite appropriate here: owned.
Sumguy720 wrote:You would have to allow fighting in the water, in my opinion. That would include animations for swimming, diving, and martial arts in a fluid-- which is just really weird. It would require a lot of difficult conceptualizing, and might not really pay back with very much.
Why would you have to, exactly? Who in real life is able to do martial arts while swimming? There wouldn't have to be combat in water, you could allow NPC's the ability to throw a knife in the back of your neck or your back while you try to swim away.

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Why would you have to, exactly? Who in real life is able to do martial arts while swimming? There wouldn't have to be combat in water, you could allow NPC's the ability to throw a knife in the back of your neck or your back while you try to swim away.
yay sensibility! I'm not sure I really understand all of these arguments saying unless water can everything anyone has ever hoped for and more it will be useless to include. I mean, David already had some lovely water whipped up for lugaru 2. reincarnate that and add some swimming animations, and you've added a lot of visual variety to the environments in the game, as well as allowing for some really cool scenes (escape off a 30 foot cliff, anyone?).

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:49 am

I'm Bumping this topic for a status update on the likelihood of there being water
slap me if you want but i'm still keen :twisted:

last

Post by last » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:46 am

There is no Lugaru 2 its a wery old post when they worked with Lugaru 2. Its like 3 years old.
why did'nt you read forum rules? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=575#p8153 9. Do not bump old posts if you have nothing to contribute to the thread.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:49 am

last wrote:There is no Lugaru 2 its a wery old post when they worked with Lugaru 2. Its like 3 years old.
why did'nt you read forum rules? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=575#p8153 9. Do not bump old posts if you have nothing to contribute to the thread.
mate i started this thread. and im well aware it is now overgrowth but why make a new thread when i can just bump it...

DillonBarba

Post by DillonBarba » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:08 pm

i always imagined the water in overgrowth would be a bit like the water in "from dust"
heres a video if you're not familiar with it.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Fast water simulation is an important part of 'From Dust'. It is probably nothing but eye-candy in Overgrowth. 'From Dust' team has spent lots of time finetuning the water until it looks that good. In Overgrowth, that time should be spent to tune the concepts important to gameplay, not for eye-candy.