What features do you want to see?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Mathieu

Re: What features do you want to see?

Post by Mathieu » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:52 am

Nothing specific but I would love some kind of online scoring with leaderboards.

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:45 am

I think I've managed to sell Jeff on programmatically-generated levels, so if he can convince the rest of the devs, then things just got thrown wide open for all sorts of "endless"-type challenges. They wouldn't be continuous (that is, there'd be stages with loading screens in-between), because continuous levels would require dynamically generated levels, which is a much more complicated business, but with this you could implement the Bloody Palace concept I was talking about earlier, which is also basically what Meelisk was asking for (an endless series of escalating fights). And you could do randomly-generated cities with new patrols routes every time, and random "dungeons" (since the game won't do indoors areas, the dungeons would probably actually be pathways floating in the air)...oh man, so much potential. :)

Ignoramus

Post by Ignoramus » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:24 pm

I want detail. Dew on the grass, squirrels in the trees, birds flying above. Speaking of birds, a flying mount would be nice if the world is going to be very big. Volumetric lighting and stuff. Woodsy areas to show off canopy shadows, god rays, etc. I think climbing trees would be cool too because you could hang over people and execute from above. Lots of ninja skills. Crossbows, wall running, climbing, extreme stealth with AI to match, etc.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:15 pm

I don't believe that following the general idea of lugaru you could have a flying mount, however I do know that god rays and climbing and such have been mentioned, everything sounds good.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:32 pm

This felt oddly out of place in the thread about the free copy of Overgrowth, and it doesn't quite seem to merit its own thread, so I'll just put it here :P

If the Wolfire team is serious about creating a badass trailer for Overgrowth, I can't recommend a well-executed replay feature highly enough. I've tried getting some cool clips multiple times since the thread was created, but the perspective that the player has locks it into pure gameplay footage, not necessarily something that is epic and cinematically powerful; the lack of choice in camera angles is far too restrictive.

Now, don't get me wrong, the current angle is fine for cranking out some amazing gameplay footage (Silb, are you listening? :)), but that's what gameplay footage is, footage of playing the game. However, if the aim is to create something that is, again, epic and cinematically powerful, there needs to be freedom to dynamically choose what angle the filming is happening from, not just the default view in the game: the ability to go back in time and revisit the action from any angle, not just the one that was chosen at the time is essential. A camera moving as the action is taking place has nigh-infinite possibilities, and if you were going for something that sounds like what you're looking for in that thread, a camera circling around the action á la The Matrix would be totally badass.

Lullabye

Post by Lullabye » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:46 am

Breakable joints, bones and so on. I just can't stop imagining somebody falling on that rock on editor and breaking his back, with nasty sounds making the scene perfect of course.

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:52 pm

It would be cool if there were trees randomly placed around the world. In Lugaru there were basically trees at the area where you spawned and then it turned desolate. It would be neat if somehow the engine placed trees everywhere in a map so that you could go on exploring and it wouldn't feel so unfinished

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:20 am

VerdantPlanes wrote:It would be cool if there were trees randomly placed around the world. In Lugaru there were basically trees at the area where you spawned and then it turned desolate. It would be neat if somehow the engine placed trees everywhere in a map so that you could go on exploring and it wouldn't feel so unfinished
Overgrowth (as its name would suggest) will definitely have more trees.

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:46 pm

I wonder if it would work to have different textures for different distances. To minimize tiling. In other words, at some distance from the bricks the texture would change to something much less detailed. I'm not sure really how it would work...

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:32 pm

That's actually a standard feature to add to games, not so much to deal with tiling, but for performance reasons. There's no point in having a 1024x1024 texture (that is, a detailed texture) for something that's only taking up a 50x50 pixel patch of actual screen real estate. You only need a 64x64 texture or thereabouts. It's quite common for a game to use multiple different textures for an object depending on how far away it is.

peirce

Post by peirce » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:27 pm

war paint would be awesome and helmets and other armour.

last

Post by last » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 pm

VerdantPlanes wrote:I wonder if it would work to have different textures for different distances. To minimize tiling. In other words, at some distance from the bricks the texture would change to something much less detailed. I'm not sure really how it would work...
Derakon wrote:That's actually a standard feature to add to games, not so much to deal with tiling, but for performance reasons. There's no point in having a 1024x1024 texture (that is, a detailed texture) for something that's only taking up a 50x50 pixel patch of actual screen real estate. You only need a 64x64 texture or thereabouts. It's quite common for a game to use multiple different textures for an object depending on how far away it is.
Actually it is already in the game. You can see the effect by changing the config.txt texture_reduce: 0 to something larger like 3 or 5 maybe even 10 (i believe this is the lowest it can be and highest can be 0)
or in SUM launcher change texture quality very low
The game will read the same texture file, but this time it will not use the original size, but it will use right mipmap from the texture file