What happened to this?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Derakon

Re: What happened to this?

Post by Derakon » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Remember, above all we do alpha testing to help the developers. When they release an alpha, they're adding the features that they most need to be tested, while trying to keep the program as simple as possible. In the first alpha, they were mostly interested in:
* Does it run at all?
* Do the graphics work?
Adding a ragdoll to that would have just hidden all of the bug reports they were really interested in under lots of chatter about how the ragdoll works and doesn't work. They'll add the playable characters once they have a stable environment for them to run around in. There's not much point before that.

I also assume there's going to be a bit of a focus on getting mod makers the tools they need early, so that shortly after the game launches there'll be lots of good third-party content.

Hazel-roo

Re: This is what an alpha is!

Post by Hazel-roo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:41 am

mphasis wrote:They promised an alpha and we received one.
It's to bug test the basics on many different computers first to ensure basic compatibility.
They haven't removed anything that should be in there, only made sure that the build we were given worked well and did what was required of it.
When it's time for those features, we will test them.
Until then, be patient.
Look, I didn't start this thread. I can understand wanting to test different systems to see if the basic engine is working. The point I'm trying to make here is that he had more ready 2 YEARS AGO and chose not to include it in this alpha build. I think showing a surface patch with a rock and a cube is "tinkering". You're not going to get good feedback until ALL elements of a game are included... character MOVEMENT being a major part of a 3D game. He has it ready but didn't include it. I already know what you're going to say. You're going to say "Well, he has more work to do on the movement". The same excuse was given for the blood work already implimented. Who cares if it doesn't meet perfection at this point? There's no reason you can't still perfect it after releasing it for testing. Come on... that's what real testing of any type consists of... I'm not being impatient.

Hazel-roo

Post by Hazel-roo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:48 am

Derakon wrote:Remember, above all we do alpha testing to help the developers. When they release an alpha, they're adding the features that they most need to be tested, while trying to keep the program as simple as possible. In the first alpha, they were mostly interested in:
* Does it run at all?
* Do the graphics work?
Adding a ragdoll to that would have just hidden all of the bug reports they were really interested in under lots of chatter about how the ragdoll works and doesn't work. They'll add the playable characters once they have a stable environment for them to run around in. There's not much point before that.

I also assume there's going to be a bit of a focus on getting mod makers the tools they need early, so that shortly after the game launches there'll be lots of good third-party content.
Well, finally we have someone being reasonably nice about it. Thank you.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:37 pm

As discussed in IRC -

- The old turner model has been replaced by a new one. We are not ready to show it yet. The original model has in fact been "deleted" and we are not planning on using it in Overgrowth.

- The old procedural animation video was based on a tech demo David made. It is not in the engine. We are using a brand new engine that is not ready to be tested as it is not complete yet.

If you have questions about anything, just ask via the forums, IRC, or AIM/MSN. However, please do not ask in an accusatory manner that both riles up the Wolfire team and the Wolfire community.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:11 pm

couldn't you also use the meebo window in the contact bar?

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:08 am

Hazel-roo wrote:
Ltp0wer wrote:I know I don't speak for the devs, but that was just a simple tech demo.

It hasn't been implemented into the main build that we got.

Patience is an important virtue.
no need to be mean about it... I also was expecting something more like this when they released the alpha... it's a shame they've decided to trash something that works just because they got a flashy new title for the game... <.<
Apparently you don't understand how programming works.

You can't just quickly throw everything together into one game and expect it to work perfectly and extensibly. The procedural animation demo was a tech demo, meaning it was created just to get the concept and coding of it down, but doesn't necessarily fit nicely with everything else without tweaking. The team could have released the first couple alphas with procedural animation and fighting and blood and multiplayer and everything they made so far instead of just the core rendering engine, and while it most likely would be impressive, you seem to forget what alphas are for: testing. If they released the first alphas with everything implemented right off the bat and there was a serious error in the core engine, the team would have to rip out all of the layers that they put on top of the core engine to fix it and then reimplement everything again, which is never a good thing, especially if it can be avoided. Usually alpha versions aren't even released to anyone besides the developers, so you shouldn't be so nitpicky anyway. Be patient (and at least a little appreciative that you're getting something this early)!

Look at all the bugs there are with just the core engine. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4144

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:27 am

Rome haven't being done in one day. (I'm sure some will say "wtf?" XD)

The most important thing about making a game (in my opinion) is to make the core stable. Otherwise, it's like if you build an house on unstable foundations.

Hazel-roo

Post by Hazel-roo » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:05 pm

Skofo wrote:
Hazel-roo wrote:
Ltp0wer wrote:I know I don't speak for the devs, but that was just a simple tech demo.

It hasn't been implemented into the main build that we got.

Patience is an important virtue.
no need to be mean about it... I also was expecting something more like this when they released the alpha... it's a shame they've decided to trash something that works just because they got a flashy new title for the game... <.<
Apparently you don't understand how programming works.

You can't just quickly throw everything together into one game and expect it to work perfectly and extensibly. The procedural animation demo was a tech demo, meaning it was created just to get the concept and coding of it down, but doesn't necessarily fit nicely with everything else without tweaking. The team could have released the first couple alphas with procedural animation and fighting and blood and multiplayer and everything they made so far instead of just the core rendering engine, and while it most likely would be impressive, you seem to forget what alphas are for: testing. If they released the first alphas with everything implemented right off the bat and there was a serious error in the core engine, the team would have to rip out all of the layers that they put on top of the core engine to fix it and then reimplement everything again, which is never a good thing, especially if it can be avoided. Usually alpha versions aren't even released to anyone besides the developers, so you shouldn't be so nitpicky anyway. Be patient (and at least a little appreciative that you're getting something this early)!

Look at all the bugs there are with just the core engine. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4144
You're beating a dead horse. Why are you bringing this up again? My reasons for speaking up have been well established on this thread as well as IRC. There is no need to be condescending toward me or Ignoramus. Jeff admitted how we could become confused by not giving the "tech demo" and Overgrowth engines different names. If you feel the need to criticize someone's questions on something... then please, just keep it to yourself.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:11 am

I am not criticizing you. I explained the reason why alpha builds are the way they are in the most descriptive and condensed way possible, because you do not appear to understand. Don't irritatingly ask a simplistic question and then claim that people are demeaning your intelligence after they charitably explain it to you after a few other people have already unsuccessfully tried to make you see the light. It's rude.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:21 am

Hey guys, as posted in the identical thread to this one a few spots down: http://vimeo.com/2360652

It's coming along. :)

Hazel-roo

Post by Hazel-roo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:55 am

Skofo wrote:I am not criticizing you. I explained the reason why alpha builds are the way they are in the most descriptive and condensed way possible, because you do not appear to understand. Don't irritatingly ask a simplistic question and then claim that people are demeaning your intelligence after they charitably explain it to you after a few other people have already unsuccessfully tried to make you see the light. It's rude.
I think the only questions I'd ask you personally would be rhetorical. I wouldn't be expecting anything more than fluff. Thanks.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:12 am

Jeff wrote:Hey guys, as posted in the identical thread to this one a few spots down: http://vimeo.com/2360652

It's coming along. :)
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Runs around in cirlces screaming like a madman*

I hope this gets in the next alpha leak.

*Returns to insanity*

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:44 pm

We all want to play as a snowman.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:50 pm

Ozymandias wrote:We all want to play as a snowman.
Snowmen vs. Whaleman :D

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:03 pm

marmorek wrote:Snowmen vs. Whaleman :D
In the desert.

I think that the snowmen will melt and the whale will die from being beached =o