Installing OpenGL

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Sargon

Installing OpenGL

Post by Sargon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:13 am

How do I know what openGL I have on my computer? (must be something, because I have windows XP)
And where do I download openGL 3?
openGL.org is a terrible place to get information, and I always get confused where to actually download the latest openGL.

Hal1989

Re: Installing OpenGL

Post by Hal1989 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:23 pm

Opengl is only available in graphic card drivers, as far I know.In the bugs thread, where you also posted that problem, Broli suggested you to update your drivers.

THeFooJoo

Re: Installing OpenGL

Post by THeFooJoo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:16 am

Depends on what you're doing. If you're:

Gaming: depends on your card's specs, find a place to look them up. If it's a DX10-compatible card, it's technically capable of running OpenGL 3.0, but the only manufacture to release drivers for GL 3.0 is NVIDIA, and they're still in beta (Windows and Linux only).

Developing: If you're on a Mac, you should have GL 2.1 by default (I believe there's a patch in Leopard to get 3.0, not sure though). If you're running Windows, the opengl32.dll supports GL 1.1, but can be extended to 3.0 via 3rd party libraries, such as GLEW and GLEE.

If you're greatest concern is running OG, make sure XP is fully updated and your graphics card drivers are up to date, and you should be fine. OG doesn't use OpenGL 3.0.