Why C:\Program Files\Wolfire Games\Overgrowth?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Which do you prefer?

C:\Program Files\Wolfire Games\Overgrowth
48%
C:\Program Files\Overgrowth
52%

Total votes: 29

Skofo

Why C:\Program Files\Wolfire Games\Overgrowth?

Post by Skofo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:12 pm

I may be a bit nitpicky here, but is it necessary to classify games/applications in filesystems by their vendor? It just makes them harder to find. It's not like Wolfire Games has hundreds of games which make it absolutely mandatory to install games in a folder with the company's name. I think that it's the same in the Start menu (ie. it's Wolfire Games->Overgrowth->Overgrowth [can't check to make sure right now because my Windows partition exploded]), and Start menus are typically used far more than the actual game directory (even though I imagine many people will also be using the actual game directory, if they want to mod/map or use mods/maps), which is why I think this issue is worth bringing up. This may be just a little thing, but I believe that it just serves to annoy people, especially if you're the type of guy (like me) who doesn't particularly enjoy memorizing which companies published every single game.

Lugaru didn't do it, many other games/apps don't do it, why does Overgrowth need to?

EDIT: Question for Jeff. Posted this here for the poll/debate.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Re: Why C:\Program Files\Wolfire Games\Overgrowth?

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Why is the thread title "Why C:\Program Files\Wolfire Games\Overgrowth?"? It's not like that's the actual filepath for the alphas or anything. If it was, it'd be retarded. Why not just install it in Program Files instead of in a Wolfire Games folder?

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:18 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:Why is the thread title "Why C:\Program Files\Wolfire Games\Overgrowth?"? It's not like that's the actual filepath for the alphas or anything. If it was, it'd be retarded. Why not just install it in Program Files instead of in a Wolfire Games folder?
That's not the actual filepath? Hm. Maybe I remembered wrong?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:50 pm

It was a suggestion to the windows filepath being retarded. You should be able to just remove the Wolfire Games folder and put Overgrowth in Program Files, though.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Uhm, I sort of tohught most of these programs let you change the path you install them to... for instance, I install all of my games to the K directory, not the C.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:12 am

Good point. When we make our real installer (instead of using the default one in visual studio) we'll probably do that.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:41 am

Ozymandias wrote:Uhm, I sort of tohught most of these programs let you change the path you install them to... for instance, I install all of my games to the K directory, not the C.
A critical point indeed.

In fact, I myself have got 2 partitions:
One, 'Sir Bob III' (it's 3 'cos it's died twice since I started with Sir Robert), is where I have my system folder, and all important (reinstallable, and that is important) applications. (Flash, Photoshop, you name it).

The second, 'Knight's Sword', is the most crucial. It's where I keep everything else. Yes, everything.
This mean all games I have. Not in any folder, but directly in the Knight's Sword.
Also all projects I'm working on, (.fla's, .png's, all documents, really)
my music, and pretty much anything else that isn't a reinstallabe work application.

To have Overgrowth install it self on the first partition...
...well.
That'd just be silly.

Glad to hear that'll be noted.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:32 am

Wait a minute... You give "codenames" to your partitions? If I also did that, mine would be already at 26 in a single year XD

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:16 am

'Codenames'? No, just names.
As where windows would usually have 'my computer', macs can actually give the computer a name.
It's a feature they've had for like, all the time they've had macs, really...

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:21 am

Yeah I know, but I never tought into actually naming it, tough the last time I named a computer was on my Mac color classic (or was it my Powermac G3 AIO?), lol XD

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:32 pm

I guess it's like when you right click on the drive you can give it a name. Example, my C drive is "HP" because I never bothered to rename it, and the drive with all my games etc. is called "Llewellyn"

yeah... at one point I had a hard drive that was only 2gb or something and i couldn't put anything on it. I named it "crappy"

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:55 pm

I called my C drive /dev/hda1. I take small pleasures in simple things. :P

Anyway, generally when a company installs to \VendorName\ApplicationName, they're planning on releasing many more games after that point. So don't complain, or they might change their minds...

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:43 am

Don't be too sure. There's plenty installed games I used to have many years ago in such directories, and I never heard of those developers since...
Plus, it just messes up the layout of any games folder, having all your games in different places...
Makes it so much harder to choose what to play...

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:45 pm

all you have to do as far as I know is while you're installing you just get riod of the developer's name from the path. Example: I'd remove "Wolfire" from the path and instead just have an 'Overgrowth' folder on the C drive.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:51 pm

The vendor path is just the default configuration for the visual studio installer; I will see what I can do about that later!