Lugaru Phoenix engine project

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Chainsaw man

Lugaru Phoenix engine project

Post by Chainsaw man » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Ok, I am going to begin the project of making Lugaru for Overgrowth.
This game project is going to be a serious effort in a remake of Lugaru, how ever with the more indepth lore and such, im sure this version will have a lot more substance compared to the origonal, its also going to have allot more challanges for the new engine and new mechanics. Although a lot more content will be added from Overgrowth, it will have the same plot.

Now, I need a few people to help me with this. This is the first time I have undergone a project like this. The likes of people I am going to need are modlers and skinners. I will want to see your work.
If Wolfire wishs to help, they could supply consept art and infomation about some of the races life styles.

Ok now, its time to rock!
Are you ready to Rock?

Skofo

Re: Lugaru Phoenix engine project

Post by Skofo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:09 pm

The game doesn't seem to be even close to release, guy. :wink: You can't even lay down a solid direction yet because there's so little to work with in the engine so far. Perhaps you can make some of the giant boulders that there are in Lugaru?

Also, I think that deviating away from the original concepts (like creating extra challenges that weren't in the game) is a bad idea. Then it wouldn't be Lugaru anymore. I suggest just sticking to remaking Lugaru, except prettier.

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:38 pm

Skofo wrote:The game doesn't seem to be even close to release, guy. :wink: You can't even lay down a solid direction yet because there's so little to work with in the engine so far. Perhaps you can make some of the giant boulders that there are in Lugaru?
This.

Alorwin

Post by Alorwin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:54 pm

Ideally, models nor skins will be needed, as Overgrowth will already have rabbits and wolves, and the right skins for each. But that's a wait and see situation.

MightyWarriorEX

Post by MightyWarriorEX » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:40 am

This sounds like a great project but unfortunately I don't have any of the skills necessary to help too much. Hopefully when the game is done we will be provided with plenty of extra skins in the game or to download from the Wolfire website via the crazy stuff they intend to do with Google Chrome.

And with the new map maker and things hopefully there will be included a tool to make creating entire levels much easier ... not just the maps... (this maybe isn't something I should just assume?)

Anyway, I'd love to help with expanding some of the lore and/or helping with a much more detailed story line. I've won a few awards in the past ... so what if it was just elementary school ....

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:07 am

Skofo wrote:The game doesn't seem to be even close to release, guy. :wink: You can't even lay down a solid direction yet because there's so little to work with in the engine so far. Perhaps you can make some of the giant boulders that there are in Lugaru?

Also, I think that deviating away from the original concepts (like creating extra challenges that weren't in the game) is a bad idea. Then it wouldn't be Lugaru anymore. I suggest just sticking to remaking Lugaru, except prettier.
I understand where my limitations are, the "extra challenges" are there as a patch up for things that the engine could handle, the origonal did not.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:23 am

I still don't understand what you mean by "extra challenges." Or "lore." Or, for that matter, "remake."

Do you actually mean making a new campaign for Overgrowth which uses Lugaru's basic plot? Or do you mean recreating Lugaru's campaign and challenges in the Overgrowth engine?

MightyWarriorEX

Post by MightyWarriorEX » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Groveller wrote:I still don't understand what you mean by "extra challenges." Or "lore." Or, for that matter, "remake."

Do you actually mean making a new campaign for Overgrowth which uses Lugaru's basic plot? Or do you mean recreating Lugaru's campaign and challenges in the Overgrowth engine?

I believe he is intending to recreate the original story from Luagru but with the new Overgrowth game features. This way people who want to know the previous story can just play the Overgrowth game instead of having to go back to the older Lugaru game.

As far as I know, the term "lore" means background information. Kind of like random information that helps make the story and experience richer and/or gives it more meaning.

By "extra challenges" I believe he means adding to the difficulty or using some of the new items in Overgrowth to not only entirely redo the previous Lugaru game levels but to make it more complex with different character types and/or weapons and buildings ...

^_^

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Oh... so a Hollywood remake. :?

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:53 am

I feel like if you add anything to the story, it might not be Lugaru any more. I say stick to the script David made, I really don't think there's much to be added.

While we're at it, I wonder what Silb would think about a Temple remake. I played that campaign to death, and I would probably be willing to do a remake myself if he doesn't.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:32 am

MightyWarriorEX wrote:I believe he is intending to recreate the original story from Luagru but with the new Overgrowth game features. This way people who want to know the previous story can just play the Overgrowth game instead of having to go back to the older Lugaru game.

By "extra challenges" I believe he means adding to the difficulty or using some of the new items in Overgrowth to not only entirely redo the previous Lugaru game levels but to make it more complex with different character types and/or weapons and buildings ...

^_^
What im meaning is challanges that would be "too easy" in the new game due to new features.
More enemys for places that should have more than just 8 rabbits. :wink:

The story WILL stay true as I can make it.
Groveller wrote:Oh... so a Hollywood remake. :?
I dont seem to be getting any entusiasem... :(
wormguy wrote:I feel like if you add anything to the story, it might not be Lugaru any more. I say stick to the script David made, I really don't think there's much to be added.
Neather, but what will be remade will be worth.
For instance, Im gonna try and step away from 3d stone blocks, and go towards using rabbit cultureal buildings.

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:41 pm

So, what do you have done so far?

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:53 am

You've got my support for Models and Skins, just tell me what you need. i wont be making anything until OG is seriously released though, so i think this project is a little premature.

MightyWarriorEX

Post by MightyWarriorEX » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:08 am

I'm NEVER premature :lol:

as in my timing is perfect ... just ask Turner ...

uhm. Yeah it's probably a little early to be planning but it'll be fun/cool either way ... Maybe once the game is released and everything settles down David and the rest of the Wolfire men can help us create a story so that we don't take too much artistic license in our own interpretation ...

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:30 am

Ltp0wer wrote:So, what do you have done so far?
So far, Im Orgonizing human resorces using this thread as a base for now.
Lotus Wolf's now a part of my team, welcome abord. :)

I am also Trying to figure out what the Look out Ruins is a ruin to, I thought for a while it could be a tiped over highway broken in parts, but In the end I will probobly ask David (yea I know... :roll: )
Im also aware that we are limited in our resorces at the moment, I am also aware this is none profit, chances are.