Overgrowth's use of Lugaru

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Maximopartra

Overgrowth's use of Lugaru

Post by Maximopartra » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:57 am

Hello guys (and galls),

I played Lugaru and I really liked it. But I asked myself if they were gonna use Lugaru as a start-up for Overgrowth. because if they are than they should fix 2 glitches/bugs/whatevers I found while playing Lugaru.

Number 1

If you have 2 knifes equipped (I'm not sure if this is with swords too) and you duck (shift) because you want to clean the blood from your knifes. Than you sit press the mouse button and you clean your first knife. But if you than change weapons so you can clean your second knife, you do see the animation of Turner grabbing the knife, but he doesn't actually. Your second bloody knife is still at your waist, while you hold your already cleaned knife. And when you stand up your hand goes to your hip again and than you do grab the knife. Of course it's not that much of a problem to stand up and sit down again if you want to clean your second knife. But still, I guess this is not how they intended the knifes to work.

Number 2

This is a tricky one. When you have thrown someone to the ground than you can duck (shift) and stab him in the hearth with your knife (if you are fast). This is a really nice trick. First something else. If you clean your knife because it is bloody than you can do that on grass or sand or anything, but NOT on stone blocks. If you try to clean your knife while standing on one of those big square stone blocks, Turner just does nothing, which is logical cause you can't clean your knife by smashing it on a stone. But! When you have thrown someone down and you want to impale his heath while he is lying on one of those stone blocks and you MISS. Than your knife slits into the ground like it's made of butter. This strikes me as odd. I suppose that Wolfire should brake the knife or make it fly away because of the impact. Or maybe even make you stager because of your telefonebone (not sure if that's correct English) going off.

In conclusion: If Wolfire is going to use the old engine thing from Lugaru, than they should look at these 2 glitches/bugs/whatevers.

btw: this is not criticism on Wolfire, I Totally Love your games!!! :mrgreen: Keep up the good work! This is just a little warning/help. :D

Cheers,

Maxim
Last edited by Maximopartra on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ozymandias

Re: Overgrowth's use of Lugaru

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:01 am

I'm sure that the game mechanics in Overgrowth are going to be much different than Lugaru (but still familiar) so these shouldn't pose a problem.

EDIT: Welcome aboard =p

Maximopartra

Post by Maximopartra » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:06 am

Ozymandias wrote: EDIT: Welcome aboard =p
Thanks! :mrgreen:

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:06 am

Overgrowth uses the Phoenix engine, so I doubt these problems will persist.

Maximopartra

Post by Maximopartra » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:11 am

Huh, but didn't Lugaru use the Phoenix engine too then? :?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:24 am

No, Lugaru used it's own, AFAIK nameless engine, AKA the "Lugaru Engine". Lugaru 2 was announced as using the Phoenix engine, before the name was changed to Overgrowth. This hasn't changed.

Maximopartra

Post by Maximopartra » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:29 am

Oh, okay...

But that means that EVERYTHING that they made for Lugaru has to be remade to fit the Phoenix Engine. Well, then I guess you guys are right and there won't be any problem with Lugaru Bug things. Thanks for telling me! :mrgreen:

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:42 am

Yes, that's what I was gonna say, but BWS beat me to it...

Maximopartra wrote:Hello guys (and galls),
Gals? Where?
(Referring to the blog post, even I was surprised we had a 7%. You guys sure that some guys just have feminine-like names that the counter though girly?)

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:47 am

as to the knife problem, what platform are you on? cause for me if you crouch and hit e to change weapons, you put one away and don't take the other out, and than you can do the animal run. or the spinecrusher. quite useful really. as to telefone bone I believe we would call it the funny bone but I'm not entirely sure. welcome also, you seeem like you aren't as crazy as half of these people.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:58 am

Count Roland wrote:as to the knife problem, what platform are you on? cause for me if you crouch and hit e to change weapons, you put one away and don't take the other out, and than you can do the animal run. or the spinecrusher. quite useful really.
That's what I got, too. It is indeed useful. But that doesn't stop me from wanting it to be fixed in OG, and I have full faith that it will be. Lugartoo is something new. =3

Maximopartra

Post by Maximopartra » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:02 am

Well I just use windows, but I guess I have the same as you said. But theoretically it shouldn't be possible cause you can't hang 2 knifes at your hip, nor can you hang 1 knife at your hip for that matter (turner doesn't have a belt does he?). But, it's for the spine crush...I didn't know that, thanks! :D

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 am

and than you can do the animal run
I was playing as a wolf the other day, and was surprised to find I could animal run while holding a weapon. Odd.

Maximopartra

Post by Maximopartra » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:13 am

I guess Lugaru isn't totally weirdness/glitchlike free. But that's not a problem, cause it's OVERGROWTH we're waiting for! :mrgreen:

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 pm

The man has a point.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:15 pm

These glitches are really nothing that would bother me, anyway...

David didn't have the luxury of extensive beta testing...so it's kind of a credit to him that, at his age, he made such a functional game.

I think that, logically speaking, there is likely to be more glitches in Overgrowth. In my experience it is that, as games get more complex technologically, they get more riddled with bugs which need to be fixed. You can't ever really fix all of them. Even games like Mass Effect, KOTOR and Fallout 3 were completely riddled with bugs. Remember that these are game developers like Bioware and Bethesda who have a looooooooot of money and can afford to do extensive beta testing etc. etc.

Feel free to correct me about any of these assertions...assuming you're someone who actually knows what you're talking about.