Bone Breaking

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Skofo

Bone Breaking

Post by Skofo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:37 am

Good idea? Will this be implemented?

I'm thinking something along the lines of breaking arms renders them useless for fighting, breaking one leg makes you limp and breaking both legs forces you into a crawl. Breaking your neck or spine kills you. You could get more complex instead of only giving the option of breaking entire arms you could also allow fighters to have their wrists broken or something, rendering their hands useless for holding weapons (but doesn't prevent them from elbowing and the like). Unless the fighter reallly enjoys pain; perhaps there should be some adrenaline bar or something that affects your fighting prowess and pain threshold. Also, getting even more complex, breaking fingers could render a fighter useless at arching or throwing shurikens or whatever. Also, limb lobotomies are a mighty good idea. I want to be a ninja bunny with no arms!

Eh? :mrgreen:

Makrond

Re: Bone Breaking

Post by Makrond » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:39 am

I remember something along these lines in older blog or forum posts.

Dunno if it's still happening, but I sure hope so.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:05 am

Here's what I think:

Damage of any kind that makes you unable to use all your moves should either A: Be temporary, 2: effect you less but still be noticeable, or third: only allow AI to receive such injuries.

It sucks trying to run around with two broken legs, or any injuries that hinder your ability to play the game. (in Red orchestra if you received any wounds that rendered you combat ineffective it just killed you outright I.E. legs blown off.)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:57 am

The concept sounds enthralling, but I fear Ozy has a point... =\

MightyWarriorEX

Post by MightyWarriorEX » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:27 am

I agree with Ozymandias. I like the idea of temporary. Having damage done only to AI might make the game feel a little unbalanced.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:09 am

Yeah, I've a feeling that this could be one of those "OMFG REALISM" trips people get on. It sounds like a neat idea, I just don't want fun/enjoyment (the primary aim of video games) to be sacrificed for the sake of realism, because that is never good. If all football games were completely realistic, you'd never score any goals unless you played 90 minute matches.

Don't take this the wrong way, really. I think it's a neat idea, I just think it needs to be carefully implemented and should not, under any circumstance, circumvent the chance of having fun while playing the game.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:13 am

On the subject of realism's effect on games... If Lugaru had been done with humans, not anthropomorphic rabbits, it would NOT have been as good/popular/fun a game.

MightyWarriorEX

Post by MightyWarriorEX » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:14 am

I understand your bunny wisdom Renegade Turner.

I agree that fun should not be sacrificed and I feel that if bones are breakable it should be VERY RARELY because that makes it more of an "Oh Shit!" type of thing ...

ex: "oh shit! He broke my leg! that mother*#&$^#"

I think that would be implementable without losing the main fun value ... and could add to it ...

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:19 am

As a temporary until-the-end-of-the-level thing that'd be cool. Well, if the levels are broken up the way Lugaru's are, anyway. Maybe not if the levels are gonna be long enough to warrant mid-level saving or anything.

Most of the time, if you break a limb I wouldn't expect you to survive long enough for the novelty to wear off, though. It'd just be something different that sometimes happens right before you die. That extra variety would make death more fun, for me, the same way ragdolling of into the sunset every now and then makes things more interesting.

And if you do manage to finish a level with two broken arms and a broken leg, imagine the style points you'd get!

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:11 pm

it would be a good idea for the challenge levels

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Hm, nowhere did I say that bone breaking should be permanent. I was thinking, if Overgrowth is level-based like Lugaru, that broken bones should last until the end of a level, similar to health in general. It'd totally suck if you broke your leg in the first level and had to limp through the rest of the entire game. :lol: And I agree, that probably wouldn't be much fun.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:09 pm

You're looking for Dwarf Fortress. ^^

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:41 pm

I like most of the idea except the part about performing brain surgery on arms.

Darwinian

Post by Darwinian » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:08 am

dont forget limb hacking yall
i think david (or someone else) said there would be

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:21 am

OMG OMG
limb-hacking!!

Afro Samurai, the game, introduced a new system of limb hacking where they programmed the game to detect where the sword actually cut the person (anywhere) and it would automatically seal up both of the parts where the cut occured, allowing for infinite limb-hacking possibilities. It looks epic and works like a charm. There's a vid about it floating around somewhere.