Alpha 10 Links

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Re: Alpha 10 Links

Post by Nuky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Groveller wrote:
makr wrote:<snip>
Rather than empty files, copy and rename some of the other verts and frags. It's not perfect, but you get a rabbot without constant errors.

<snip>

I tried that before checking here. I still got error messages. Which files did you use? I used the fog ones.

Edit: Also, I can no longer bring up the console window. =)

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:25 pm

If you are getting the black and white boxes on start up like this:

Then edit config.txt, change the line authload to auth <you>\<code>\<code>

Thanks to Grov on IRC for the fix.
Last edited by Mykei on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Nuky, I used Aimer.tga, post.vert and post.frag.

For the black screen with a white box, changing the authload line in config.txt to (you)\(code)\(code).

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Hey guys, sorry for this broken build. I will see if I can fix it really quick -- if not we might have to wait until alpha 11.

P.S. does anyone have any experience with scripts for building and creating installers and stuff? This stuff takes a huge amount of my day every week and I am not sure if it is sustainable long term.

MightyWarriorEX

Post by MightyWarriorEX » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Maybe we should just get biweekly alphas. Sorry I'm not much help beyond marketing. On a positive note Im working on getting together with the school news paperto write an article on OG!

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Jeff wrote:P.S. does anyone have any experience with scripts for building and creating installers and stuff? This stuff takes a huge amount of my day every week and I am not sure if it is sustainable long term.
It really takes a huge amount of your day? Do you type in every file manually or something? Don't do that. :? You could write a Perl script to do that for you.

I haven't looked too much into it, but NSIS lets you take a zip file and automatically create an installer out of it. It makes a pretty bare bones installer, though. By default, it's just a single menu asking you where to install, and then it installs without making any shortcuts or adding itself to the uninstaller menu or whatever, so it's quick and dirty. You can change the default config file for anything else you want in it, though, I think...

Sorry that this build didn't work out too well. Better luck next time! :mrgreen:
MightyWarriorEX wrote:Maybe we should just get biweekly alphas.
Screw that, installers are an easy problem to fix if they're the main issue.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Well, since you asked Skofo,

Right now I manually go through all of the commits in svn of the previous week and figure out which files have been added, removed, or modified and add them to the visual studio installer. I then test out the installer and likely have missed a file. So I repeat until I get it right. I then take the Data folder and transfer it to my Mac. I build the Mac version and put the files in the right place. I then upload the builds which takes several hours on our internet connection. Unfortunately, the installer sometimes works for me but no one else due to misc things on my computer, and then I need to repeat the whole process again.

Then I weather the storm on IRC and the forums and respond to a crapload of instant messages and emails about bugs.

Suggestions for improvement please. :)

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Jeff wrote:Suggestions for improvement please. :)
Zip files? You could save time, test them easier and it'd remove the hassle of uninstalling/reinstalling for you and everyone else.
Last edited by Skofo on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks, you two.

Oh, and Jeff, couldn't you just upload a patch? That'd be like max four/five files methinks?

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Actually, developing a "one button press patching system" early would save you a lot of time and bandwidth.

Or simply patches, I can imagine it being hard though, couldn't SVN be used?

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:03 pm

I have a question, sorry if this has been answered elswhere, but is there a way to get the rabbot on a mac right now? right now when I press 8 it tells me:
Error
The file doesn't exist: Data/Textures/blob_shadow.tga

also is there any way to open up the desert fort map right now without just duping the alpha?

Vrav

Post by Vrav » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:15 pm

Have you downloaded the new mac upload or did Jeff repack the alpha to include the console and still leave out the shadow files? It's just missing the three little things.

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:22 pm

I downloaded the most recent mac file. Hmm... I wonder if I just added some placeholder textures with the same names...

Vrav

Post by Vrav » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Yeah, that's worked! What Groveller did, to unify the previous bits in the thread:

copy Aimer.tga in Textures to blob_shadow.tga,
copy post.vert in GLSL to blobshadowdecal.vert
copy post.frag in GLSL to blobshadowdecal.frag

Ideally Jeff could upload the actual three files and people could manually patch them in, but.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Skofo wrote:
Jeff wrote:Suggestions for improvement please. :)
Zip files? You could save time, test them easier and it'd remove the hassle of uninstalling/reinstalling for you and everyone else.
That works great on Mac OS X, but I don't know how to get Visual Studio to build everything into a zip file instead of an installer.