What is so exciting about OG!?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
MightyWarriorEX

What is so exciting about OG!?

Post by MightyWarriorEX » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:41 pm

I want to know what everyone's looking forward to in OG's Release!?

What about this game is going to make it amazing to you?

What features or game play are you most excited about!?

And any other random OG related things that have you excited or that you're looking forward to in the final completed game...

There are lots of topics about these individual items but I was wondering which ranked highest among the forum users.

Turner is getting all hot and bothered for sure!
Last edited by MightyWarriorEX on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozymandias

Re: Why OG is HOT!

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:50 pm

Online multiplayer co-op

Squirrel mod.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Yes.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Online multiplayer co-op
Definitely, multiplayer co-op will be so incredibly awesome 8)

One of the things I'm sincerely hoping for, though, is multiplayer debug and map editing, which I'd always wished for in Lugaru :)

MoDFoX

Post by MoDFoX » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:11 pm

Viking Zippy wrote: Definitely, multiplayer co-op will be so incredibly awesome 8)
One of the things I'm sincerely hoping for, though, is multiplayer debug and map editing, which I'd always wished for in Lugaru :)
This, can't wait to play online! =]

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Multiplayer

Assassin's Creed-like movement/climbing system

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:28 pm

Modding. Creating older games in OG's engine.

MightyWarriorEX

Post by MightyWarriorEX » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:39 pm

I know it hasn't been confirmed or denied yet ... but I'm really hoping for some Versus type of fighting ... one on one would be awesome but two on two would be AMAZING! last man standing or something like that ...

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Everything.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:30 pm

+1 for Everything.

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:46 pm

more complex combat, to the point where my brother can have one style and I can have another then say mine is better.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:16 am

Viking Zippy wrote:One of the things I'm sincerely hoping for, though, is multiplayer debug and map editing, which I'd always wished for in Lugaru :)
I wanna see a combat-editing mode. Kill your opponent by deleting the floor from under him.

Johannes

Re: What is so exciting about OG!?

Post by Johannes » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:55 am

First and foremost, I want this game to succeed on a much larger scale than all of David's games combined have so far. It will not be just another game known almost exclusively within 'the mac underground'. With steam and other distributers on board so far I am feeling extremely confident there. (And I'd like to see an update on the blog post of whether any of the other ones have agreed to distribute OG)

One thing I feel that prevented Lugaru from really leaking out into the mainstream was its lack of good graphics. Now I don't need to go into a long explanation why it was a great game none-the-less, we've all played it here and can certainly appreciate it, however it cannot be denied that many would-be fans might have been turned down by the less-than-spectacular screenshots that they first looked at.

However, already we know that OG will be far closer to cutting edge, being less of a technical study and more of a next-gen game with a full-blown team behind it.

Which leads me to one thing I'm really looking forward to: the Eye-Candy. I won't deny it, I'm a huge sucker for graphics. This means both static scenery, as well as animations, and really just how everything fits together. I drool at the thought of taking what Aubrey has shown us so far in the bare demo maps, and extrapolating it to a whole city, with full vegetation, characters walking around, and even more improved graphics like HDR and Bloom. My only concern is that the Dev team will opt for a more desert-y look, and therefore have an excuse to not have as much vegetation. As I've said on several previous occasions, ideally I personally want thousands of trees, millions of grasses, and all together with an amount of buildings you can call a town or even a city, without having to break the bank for a top-of-the-notch computer to be able to get a decent framerate.

Animation-wise I am giggling in gleeful expectation to seeing super-smooth animations using some of the technologies we've been introduced to in the blog, such as the inverse kinematics grabbing, since in the original Lugaru characters would often magically fly into the the right position for a grab or a hit if they weren't aligned perfectly (which was especially apparent in slow-motion).

Which brings me to Combat. Lugaru was, at least for me and the games I had played before, a breakthrough in dynamic combat. It took lots of thought, timing and finesse to even attempt the campaign on the hardest difficulty setting, yet it was simple enough to get after only a few minutes in the tutorial (though I still can't figure out how to do those damn wall-spin-kicks =P) and I am hoping for a much broader combat system, which however does not become so difficult that you have to read the manual or some guide on. All the calculations and rules that the devs have so far set up in their recent combat post should be transparent, and completely intuitive to the user after playing only a little bit.

And last but not least, finally, finally, finally Multiplayer; A feature that really should have been in the original Lugaru, if only just for direct LAN matches.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:07 am

I was going to say how exited I am about multiplayer and nifty graphics and new weapons and some other stuff... but then I read the latest blog post:

Wolves are going to have biting moves! Exuberance!

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:11 am

Jo-shadow: Overgrowth will include vegetation and such. There's been blog posts and such about it, and during the time of Lugaru 2 they had even created grass shaders and such, so I'm really thinking this won't be an issue =)

As for the wallkick, it can be kinda awkward. You have to make sure an enemy is near, jump at the wall, then do a wallflip while holding the attack button. Instead of a wallflip you'll do the kick =)

Stuff: Something I'm hoping is implemented is some sort of customization for your multiplayer character. If I understand this correctly Jeff said something about having an account (that may potentially be linked to the forums!) so having your own personal look for your guy in multiplayer and certain single-player scenarios (challenge levels?).

I've mentioned that I would make a topic all about this sometime in the future, but it's probably a bit too early to talk about it now.