Unofficial, alpha 17 weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Count Roland

Re: Unofficial, alpha 17 weekly build

Post by Count Roland » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:14 am

ROFLMAO

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:17 am

*cough*

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:34 am

Count jo-Roland-shadow wrote:*couFLMAO*

Dark

Post by Dark » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:25 pm

no runny on win7, i have posted a ticket but here is a summary:
it does not start :p
to bad, wanted to delve into the javascript >.<

alethiophile

Post by alethiophile » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:41 pm

On OSX, I can't load any objects--it gives various file-not-found errors for every one I try.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:29 pm

alethiophile wrote:On OSX, I can't load any objects--it gives various file-not-found errors for every one I try.
Just to make sure, the fist couple of objects in Data/Objects are broken.
Does Data/Objects/Buildings/blockCatBrickWall.xml work?

Quanrian

Post by Quanrian » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:07 pm

Other than having to update my graphic drivers, the alpha seems to run(mind you my framerate is aweful, but that's performance issues on my end) for me. I've only tried loading one object so far and yeah, it did crash on me. I'd highly suggest you all change the first screen to something less... laggy. As far as I can tell you're using a massive 1024+ flood image and defining trigger regions on it... It'd be so much better if you rendered it out in smaller chunks than one huge flood image, especially for older cards like mine who don't like gigantic textures.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:45 pm

Ajs, i'm having an odd bug now... for a while the console worked, but now nothing I'm typing is getting recorded in the console anymore. commands still work, Camera.setFOV(value) for example does its thing, but I don't see any sort of notification anymore:
Lugaru 2ScreenSnapz003.png
as you can see, the FOV is set to 220, but nothing showed up in the console when I typed it. For example typing in "blah" shows nothing, not even "Unknown Command".

I've re-downloaded the Console, but no dice.

what's even weirder is this:
Lugaru 2ScreenSnapz005.png
when I paste in the script you provided before, nothing happened to the camera,but it showed a 4 in the console... and every time I enter your script the number it shows seems to increase by 2, though even stranger not always by 2 as you can see: 6, 8, 11, 12, 14. I'm very confused...

ajs

Post by ajs » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:54 am

jo-shadow wrote:Ajs, i'm having an odd bug now... for a while the console worked, but now nothing I'm typing is getting recorded in the console anymore. commands still work, Camera.setFOV(value) for example does its thing, but I don't see any sort of notification anymore:
Lugaru 2ScreenSnapz003.png
as you can see, the FOV is set to 220, but nothing showed up in the console when I typed it. For example typing in "blah" shows nothing, not even "Unknown Command".

I've re-downloaded the Console, but no dice.

what's even weirder is this:
Lugaru 2ScreenSnapz005.png
when I paste in the script you provided before, nothing happened to the camera,but it showed a 4 in the console... and every time I enter your script the number it shows seems to increase by 2, though even stranger not always by 2 as you can see: 6, 8, 11, 12, 14. I'm very confused...
It's as I told you, the console is now strictly Javascript-- the reason you didn't see anything when you typed "blah" is because "blah" is not valid Javascript and doesn't evaluate to anything meaningful (besides 'undefined', which is ignored and not printed to the console). If you, however, typed in "blah" with double or single quotes, that would be interpreted as a string literal and you would see "blah" printed to the console.

I chose not to print any sort of confirmation message to the console upon execution of Camera.setFOV() and other functions because A) it's easy to see the result of the operation visually and B) it would just spam up the console (especially when performing the command via setInterval).

As for the executing that bit of FOV zoom script, try dropping the "var" bit so the script is just:

Code: Select all

x = 0; setInterval("if(x < 100) Camera.setFOV(x++);", 100);
Also, those increasing numbers you're seeing are the returned interval IDs from setInterval().

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:33 am

Ah, ok so nothing was wrong XD
That's good. thanks =)

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:19 pm

I got to use a MacBook Pro over the weekend, finally enabling me to try out Overgrowth's map editor with shaders, which, sadly, is unplayable on the MacBook I've been testing Overgrowth with.

Needless to say, I've got a list of things I've come up with, which I'll submit to Trac.

Misc window:
- Have the window snap to bounds of the screen, both when being brought out and put back in.
- When the window is in the bottom right and clicked once, it would pop out, aligned with the side of the screen. When clicked a second time, it would snap back in.
- If the window has been dragged out onto the screen, a double click on the bar would instantly return it to the bottom right. Another double click would bring it back out where it was left last out onscreen.
- Have the numbers be editable with the keyboard, e.g. when clicked, the cursor would change to a text cursor it would be an editable field. Double clicking selects the entire thing.

Main menu:
- Have the return key load the map in the map loading field.

Console:
- When in the console and a word is double-clicked, have that entire word be highlighted.

Map editor:
- When the cursor is hovering over a tool, show what key can be hit to use that tool, e.g. "Scale (5)"
- When pasting objects, the selection post-paste is on the items from which they were copied, not the objects that were pasted. Rather, have the selection on the objects that have just been pasted.
- In a16, jump and crouch would move the map editor camera straight up and down, which has been replaced by shift-up and shift-down in a17. However, if the jump and crouch are returned to up and down, this opens the possibility of a horizontal backwards and forwards when shift is held and up and down are pressed. For example, if I were way up in the sky, looking down at the ground, it's perfectly easy to move left and right, but if I wanted to move horizontally without changing my height, I must awkwardly move left or right while turning the camera to do so. Holding shift and then pressing up or down, however, would move perfectly across the horizontal axis.

alethiophile

Post by alethiophile » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:50 am

jo-shadow wrote:
alethiophile wrote:On OSX, I can't load any objects--it gives various file-not-found errors for every one I try.
Just to make sure, the fist couple of objects in Data/Objects are broken.
Does Data/Objects/Buildings/blockCatBrickWall.xml work?
No, that one works. I guess this is not a new issue. I just got unlucky in the objects I picked.