Blizzard acquires the Overgrowth franchise, Phoenix engine

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Ayjona

Blizzard acquires the Overgrowth franchise, Phoenix engine

Post by Ayjona » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:37 pm

I received this newsletter from Wolfire just yesterday, related to the unveiling of SMALL TANK, but apparently, the mail was sent in error, because I received a second mail from Jeff asking me to ignore the contents, saying something about "the community not being ready for this revelation yet".

Me, however, being the lover of all things true and fair, feel it would be wrong to withhold such great news from the community! So, we might not be getting Overgrowth, but instead, we will see our beloved Turner and his furry pals appear in the absolutely best game in the world!
Blizzard acquires the Overgrowth license, Phoenix engine, game content and related copyrights

This morning, Mike Morhaime of Blizzard Entertainment® announced that Blizzard have bought the Overgrowth franchise from Wolfire Software, with the intention of incorporating the technology of the Phoenix engine into World of Warcraft®, its subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG).

"We are thrilled to be able to offer our devoted player base the addition of yet more exiting, groundbreaking content into World of Warcraft," says Morhaime, president of Blizzard Entertainment®. "Our intention is to provide our subscribers with a constant stream of surprising changes and unexplored, never-before seen gameplay aspects. We have worked hard to build upon nearly every aspect of World of Warcraft with the Burning Crusade and the Wrath of the Lich King, and it's gratifying to see that players and reviewers are enjoying the new content. The addition of the Phoenix engine will allow us to offer, among other things, new, exciting arena-based pvp, the addition of an anthropomorphic race, and a Furry Monk class to the lands of Azeroth."*

To fit the theme and gameplay mechanics of World of Warcraft, the Phoenix engine will be heavily modified and scaled. In the process, all real-world skill-based aspects and reflex- and precision-related gameplay will be removed, and replaced with the familiar point-and-click interface of World of Warcraft. This is to ensure that players are appropriately rewarded in the struggle to attain higher levels, and to mantain the newbie-friendly and balanced competitive aspects of World of Warcraft.

"No player should ever be made to feel that he is somehow a less proficient player than other players," says Morhaime. "We will work to ensure that in the World of Warcraft, it is not your actual skill or your hand-to-eye coordination that forms the basis of competition, but the time spent online!"

Furthermore, in order to remain true to the original artistic design of the World of Warcraft universe, all Overgrowth-specific units, models, environs and other placeables will be removed from the added content. "Among other things, this helps us ensure that no player can use the surroundings and environmental variations to gain an unfair advantage over other players," Morhaime explains. "We feel that this sort of exploitation of in-game is deeply unfair towards the type of players who favour a more straight-forward, repetetive style of player-versus-player combat. We want all kinds to feel welcome in the lands of Azeroth!"

"All in all, we feel that this move makes sense, both from a corporate, financial perspective, and from the viewpoint of the dedicated gamer. Sure, it might not be as good as another 10 levels, but hey, we'll get there eventually. And, as a World of Warcraft fan, you can look forward to Blizzard acquiring other game franchises in the near future, all to ensure that You, the gamer, will never have to launch another game again!"

--------------------------

* Upon further review by the balancing team of Blizzard's World of Warcraft developers, the addition of another class was shown to be too disruptive to the gameplay experience of new players. It also received a hailstorm of criticism from veteran players, who felt that another class would ruin the carefully maintained class balance of the game, and provide some players with the unfair advantage of a class that was less familiar in pvp to most veterans. Blizzard always aim to satisfy our players, so we decided to put the addition of the Furry Monk class on hold until further notice.
Last edited by Ayjona on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lokijki

Re: Blizzard acquires the Overgrowth franchise, Phoenix engine

Post by lokijki » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Ayjona wrote: "All in all, we feel that this move makes sense, both from a corporate, financial perspective, and from the viewpoint of the dedicated gamer. Sure, it might not be as good as another 10 leves, byt hey, we'll get there eventually. And, as a World of Warcraft fan, you can look forward to Blizzard acquiring other game franchises in the near future, all to ensure that You, the gamer, will never have to launch another game again!"
Ha, the professional looking letter has failed, twice!

>.>

Yes.

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Make love, not Warcraft, anyone? :wink:

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 pm

"furry monk" lol

I like the little bits about 'it's about how much time you spend online' etc.

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:00 pm

I laughed when I realized the overall change to WoW. :D

Xerxes713

Post by Xerxes713 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:11 pm

OHH NOOOES

AH WANTZ MAH OVERGROWTH

Sorry, a gullible man got the keyboard for a second. I wonder what Overgrowth would be like with a point-and-click interface...

DarkJee

Post by DarkJee » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:54 pm

April Fool, anyone ...?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:03 pm

no I'm quite sure this is serious, no one could possibly joke about this. it couldn't be a joke. /misguided convictions and sarcasm.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:41 am

Count Roland wrote:no I'm quite sure this is serious, no one could possibly joke about this. it couldn't be a joke. /misguided convictions and sarcasm.
It's a joke.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:03 am

This was posted at 2nd of april, no joke :p

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:13 am

nutcracker wrote:This was posted at 2nd of april, no joke :p
Jokes can be made (or at least attempted) on days other than on just one day of the year.

I didn't want to have to go into this, but Blizzard will never 'acquire' a partially finished engine with a non-existant game, from some tiny independent game maker that has only officially existed for a few months. No offense guys.

It's willy, silly, silly. I for one find this amusing because except for both making games for mac and windows, blizzard and wolfire could hardly be more different. :lol:

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:44 am

IMO: From OG to WoW... have we really fallen that far from grace?

really really hoping this was just a joke. :|

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:36 am

DarkJee wrote:April Fool, anyone ...?
LIPRA

FREAKING

LOOF

It was just a bit late, is all.

And then there's timezones and stuff...

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:26 pm

jo-shadow wrote:
nutcracker wrote:This was posted at 2nd of april, no joke :p
Jokes can be made (or at least attempted) on days other than on just one day of the year.

I didn't want to have to go into this, but Blizzard will never 'acquire' a partially finished engine with a non-existant game, from some tiny independent game maker that has only officially existed for a few months. No offense guys.

It's willy, silly, silly. I for one find this amusing because except for both making games for mac and windows, blizzard and wolfire could hardly be more different. :lol:
Companies like Blizzard, Crytek, and Ubisoft have actually been trying to recruit David since before he was legally allowed to work. We are committed to seeing OG through and hopefully making many more games as an independent studio though.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:00 pm

jo-shadow wrote:
Count Roland wrote:no I'm quite sure this is serious, no one could possibly joke about this. it couldn't be a joke. /misguided convictions and sarcasm.
It's a joke.
no really? I wasn't aware hahahaha that's why I felt it necessary to end my massive amounts of sarcasm at the end of my statement. because it wasn't a joke see?? /even more sarcasm.