Preorder newbie question

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
jbwiv

Preorder newbie question

Post by jbwiv » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:33 pm

So I just signed up and paid for the preorder last night on a whim. I'm a big fan of lugaru, and look forward to Overgrowth. I felt paying now for a game I know I'll eventually buy would help it along.

I downloaded the alpha (21) last night...but now...what to do? Is walking the rabbot around two boards all that is available now? I'm not knocking it...I look at this as an investment. But curious if I'm missing out on something.

Thanks,
Jbwiv

Sandurz

Re: Preorder newbie question

Post by Sandurz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Not trying to be condescending, but have you read the alphas? They've been working on the Editor for a while now, and from what I've seen, (it won't work on my comp, and PPC) it's AMAZING.

jbwiv

Post by jbwiv » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Read the alphas? You mean, form posts alpha 1 through 21? No. I guess I should. I was hoping to be lazy ;)

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:28 pm

Well, the editor is awesome. Plain and simple.

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:37 pm

I'll underline the word. Alpha. Just try and amuse yourself by making models according to jo-shadows guides, or spawning physics boxes.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:02 pm

That is the content we have in the alpha right now but there is a lot more on the way. Thanks for buying Overgrowth! I think the game is going to be really awesome, but it takes a lot of time and hard work to get everything working and in the game.

Right now we are focusing on the UI for the level editor and shadows. I am doing a second round of in-depth concepting which includes planning for specific characters and scenarios. John is trying to keep everyone happy and informed.

Thanks again!

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:23 am

Here, check this out: http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/03/map-editor-controls/
most of the current controls to get you started (though some might be broken in the current alpha, depending on if you use mac, or windows)

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:41 am

They have said they are working on the animaitons (I think) and that's the first step to fighting... so I guess you'll be able to start fighting rabbots soon =P

But yes, I think they have been working on the editor so that we will have an actual environment to fight in. I think the choice was either have textures and animated models fighting in a blank white nothingness, or have blank white Rabbots fighting in much the kind of environment you will see in the game. It would probably be easier doing the second option since if you already have all the animaiton scripts and such codes out and you find a ton of bugs... well.. it would be better to squash the bugs as they come up hmm? =p

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:37 am

jbwiv wrote:Read the alphas? You mean, form posts alpha 1 through 21? No. I guess I should. I was hoping to be lazy ;)
DON'T read all those alpha post's, somewhere along the line they all get the same, and the individual ones just explained what was new. I would recommend the officail Map Editor Tutorial

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:38 am

You can also PM me for any questions, I'm not a partially busy person, I go on my computer every day and I can get back to you immediately.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:51 am

tomascokis wrote:You can also PM me for any questions, I'm not a partially busy person, I go on my computer every day and I can get back to you immediately.
This is awesome, you should hang out in IRC more :)

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:26 pm

yeah, I don't really go on there that much. I'll start doing that now!