Future Overgrowth

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Endoperez

Re: Future Overgrowth

Post by Endoperez » Wed May 06, 2009 8:22 am

Rmx wrote:when i said 'decreasing the minimum jump-high' I wanted to say that when you're in front of a little object (brick, little rock,...)
Perhaps the procedural animation AI will be clever enough to move (jump?) over small obstacles if you just try moving into that direction?

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Thu May 07, 2009 1:55 am

just remember with the whole jump thing that rabbots not really a very good representation of whats going to be in the actual game, but I don't know about setting it really low, the feeling I always get when playing fps's like halo and half life is that you can't jump enough! Come to think about it that probably spawned from playing lugaru.

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu May 07, 2009 9:10 am

I like big jumps.

They were a big gameplay element in Lugaru, they should be in Overgrowth.

Rmx

Post by Rmx » Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 pm

when you want to jump on a bloc, you actually have to move back for few meters if you don't want to jump over it. That's illogical.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu May 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Rmx wrote:when you want to jump on a bloc, you actually have to move back for few meters if you don't want to jump over it. That's illogical.
Is it?

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Thu May 07, 2009 8:09 pm

You can change your flight path mid-air with the arrow keys. It's easy to make accurate jumps.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu May 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Rmx wrote:when you want to jump on a bloc, you actually have to move back for few meters if you don't want to jump over it. That's illogical.
I can't understand what you're trying to say, I think the grammar is very bad.
Endoperez wrote:
Rmx wrote:when i said 'decreasing the minimum jump-high' I wanted to say that when you're in front of a little object (brick, little rock,...)
Perhaps the procedural animation AI will be clever enough to move (jump?) over small obstacles if you just try moving into that direction?
You might accidentally jump over small fences and railings you don't want to jump over and end up falling off a cliff or a bridge, better if you have to hit or hold down space bar while running over obstacles.

I think it might be better to make Turner jump after you release the space bar, because it gives you better control, it feels fluid, and you get a jump state animation. This is what they did in Spiderman 2. In the original Spider man, you just jumped as soon as you hit the jump key and if you tapped it, you jumped slightly lower. After playing the second Spiderman when I went back to the first, I found the jumping was really bad in comparison.

In the old Lugaru 2 tech demo video, I thought it was really cool that Turner would sprint the last 2-3 feet before making his long jump and kicking off the ground. I don't know what the controls for the tech demo were but, rather than possibly hitting the jump key and then having a small delay before jumping while Turner sprints and get ready to jump, it might be cool to make it so that when you hold space, Turner starts sprinting, and when you release, he jumps. To jump really low you tap space, and he'll jump really quickly like a dodge, and if you want to make a medium or whatever other size jump you hold it down for how ever long it needs to be. In Spider man 2, this made roof top jumping really fun because you would jump from rooftop to rooftop, and instead simply hitting jump every time you touched the ground, you would hold down jump, then jump, then while still in the air you would hold down jump again and get ready to land, then when you hit the next rooftop you could immediately release jump and jump really far.

I don't know how well it would work for Overgrowth, because it would be way different than Lugaru and would confuse a lot of old players and they might not like the changes, but maybe not because Lugaru's jumping mechanic wasn't exactly the the most important part of the game, the fighting system was, jumping was simply there because Turner had to jump and this was how most games let you jump.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 pm

he did say decrease the minimum jump height which would imply to me, that you could still jump just as well, only be able also to do extremely tiny controlled hops.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 am

Zantalos wrote:
Endoperez wrote:Perhaps the procedural animation AI will be clever enough to move (jump?) over small obstacles if you just try moving into that direction?
You might accidentally jump over small fences and railings you don't want to jump over and end up falling off a cliff or a bridge, better if you have to hit or hold down space bar while running over obstacles.
That's where the "clever enough" comes in. The AI has to know you don't want to jump over the safety fence and into the bottomless pit. It'd be hard to make the that kind of control system feel good, and that's where the question mark at the end of my sentence comes in. :) Thanks for the input.

If space-release would trigger jump, how would you cancel a jump if you decided you don't want to do that after all?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri May 08, 2009 9:03 am

Crouch button?

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri May 08, 2009 9:51 am

Glabbit wrote:Crouch button?
But what if you want to do a jump then decide you want to do a higher jump so you hold crouch. That is, assuming that crouch would maker you jump higher, instead of holding space for several seconds...

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri May 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Ah, yes, of course. *facepalm*
I'm not really with it today...

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri May 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Glabbit wrote:Ah, yes, of course. *facepalm*
But it would work if holding the spacebar down for a longer time make him crouch anyways for a crouch-jump, then if you decided not to just hold crouch and he'll just stay crouched instead of jumping when you let go of spacebar.

I don't know if it would work well though.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri May 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Mmm, don't know why, but that reminds me of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 again... I went through 80% of that game holding the space bar xD

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri May 08, 2009 2:15 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
Glabbit wrote:Ah, yes, of course. *facepalm*
But it would work if holding the spacebar down for a longer time make him crouch anyways for a crouch-jump, then if you decided not to just hold crouch and he'll just stay crouched instead of jumping when you let go of spacebar.

I don't know if it would work well though.
Well if you were getting tense and ready to jump and then all of the sudden you decided to crouch, that would cancel your jump tension and you would begin to crouch and not be ready for jumping. Then while crouching if you changed your mind again and decided to jump from a crouching position you could just hit spacebar again, and that would tense you back up again, ready to jump (higher because you're crouching).

Also right clicking might cancel your jump and allow you to sprint tackle someone instead, and left clicking could do something like a sprint knee-someone-in-the-stomach and also cancel your jump. In all my play through with Spider man 2 however, I only really decided not to jump after hitting the jump key once, and when that happened I just jumped straight into the air, I didn't really feel the need for a jump cancel button to be mapped out to the controller. Though Spider man 2 didn't have a crouch key like Overgrowth does, so this wouldn't be mapping out a new button.