Future Overgrowth

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Rmx

Future Overgrowth

Post by Rmx » Sun May 03, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi all, I'm new here (preordered the beta one few times ago.
Here are the firsts things I hope to see in the nexts alphas:

=> INVENTORY

I think everybody should be be able to choose if there is or not an inventory in maps he makes (and why not, what kind of inventory it is/ how many slot there is/...)
a 'gather things ' senario would be far more easy to create if there is an inventory. Same thing if a map creator wants to make pnj who buy/sells objects that can be collected, ...
. I agree with those who said that 'carry an impossible amount of equipment and drink like several potions ' is quite unrealistic and there is a lot of reasons to prefer a realistic way of wearing objects BUT it's possible to carry 10 flowers, or anything else small, and the lugaru's object system didn't allow that(why did i said flowers??). I think we have to let things possible (that means add an inventory):
- to allow more differents maps to be created,
- to gain more players,
- cause in order to have a world where you are free, you have to be able to carry something else that weapon,
- cause some people dislike it for reasons taht some kind of inventory can take care of
- cause it's not so difficult to code

;)

=> OBJECTS 'LOOTER'

In lugaru (the first one) in order to take an object, we had to go near it, and press 'q'.
I think a better and more friendly way to do his is to add an 'object looter' wich is a little window where objects near player that can be picked up are showed.
when you press the correspondink key, ('q' for exmple), the looter take focus and the player can select the item that he wants to take, with up and down keys
first line is 'cancel' that allow player to go back to the game, and 2nd, 3rd,... are objects. WHen 'q' is released, the player picks up the object chose
I tried to implement it in a little engine i made and it was very easy to use: player doesn't have o use mouse, can pick just the object/weapon he wants, event if it's among 10 others

Edit for TheBigCheese:
it's not wow-like ! It won't break the fluidity at all: when you just press q and released it instantly, the looter window will take focus, the nearest object will be select automaticaly, and yo will pick it => it will work exactly as lugaru. You won't even see a difference. Using this looter will just allow you to see near objects (cause they sometimes hard to see), and if you have some time, allow you to select the one you want among others.

=> SLOWER CHARACTER ANIMATION

I found that the actual character animation's speed is a litte bit to fast and i think it would be more beatiful if the player could move at same speed but with less steps (maybe with larger steps?)
in se same way, i think the slow mode is GREAT and i hope we will be able to always use it in-game when we're in battle mode ( but perhaps a little bit less slow)

=> MINIMUM JUMP-HIGH DECREASED

Actually, we can't perform littles jumps because when we push the jump-key (even for a really short duration),the rabbot jump too HIGH and too LONG . I think it would be better if we could perform true smalls jumps when we just tap' the space bar. ( I thought the same thing when I tried lugaru)
Warning: I don't say that jumps we perform, keeping space bar pushed, are too long. Just that we might need in some occasion to performs small jumps

=> MAP SYSTEM

Everybody knows about Warcraft III, and everybody knows that this game is still alive. I think using the same kind of map system would be a great idea.
Indeed, people will continue to play this game (unlike most of adventure/action games where the story is fixed),because there will be each days new maps.

When somebody makes a map, there is a few differents cases:
- if the map if not independent, and take place in a story/Campaign, the player have to have succed the previous parts in order to play, and if the creator wants the player to load his character from the previous map, he use the built-in save/load character system that alows him to save a character for each maps. I Hope to see such a feature if you add RPG elements/ Inventory/ ... , And I hope you to add these.
- else, the maps just load. (I forgot what i wanted to say)

Moreover, this map system will allow to re-play the same part of an history, or to jump between differents Story easilly.
The level browser jo-shadow shows us in the 'Community Content Pack 2.0 Guidelines' thread is perfect, and that's exactly the first thing i wan't to see when the game start.
just add a play button :D

So, what do you think?

- Rmx

Note: I'm french and I may have done a lot of mistakes. :? if you don't understand/ if it's not the good place to post/ ... just tell me

ps: I know the map system i spoke about is quite the same as the one thai is planned, but I spent time to write it, so...
pps: sorry for this huge text.
Last edited by Rmx on Mon May 04, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 14 times in total.

TheBigCheese

Re: Future Overgrowth

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun May 03, 2009 4:27 pm

=> INVENTORY
Personally, I think an inventory, besides the slots on your body, as shown in the Inventory thread, should not be added. I can't see why Turner would be carrying around 10 flowers, or really 10 of anything.

Now, if someone wanted to create an RPG mod, I would think that it would definitely work well, since you need to carry more items.
=> OBJECTS 'LOOTER'
No on this one. Bringing up a menu ala WOW (albeit without the mouse), would break the fluidity of the action.

With the current system, you could roll over a dead body, and take the knife out as you roll, all mid-combat. I can't see a reason why we would need a pop-up menu either; how many things could one guy drop?
=> SLOWER CHARACTER ANIMATION
Yeah, this would probably be a good idea. Characters' legs moved way to fast. I'm sure this will be worked on when the animation editor is released.

Not sure what you mean about the Map system. I think you're talking about saving the information of the players before each level so you could go back and play from that point. I wouldn't be apposed to that, as long as we have the option to play the level anew as well.

Rmx

Post by Rmx » Sun May 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks for your response,

I just want to add some things.

First, when I said "inventory", it wasn't just about RPG possibilities:
When you have to infiltrate a castle to kill someone (for example), it should be normal to be able to carry 5 or 6 knives to throw, a sword, and a rope.
There is a lot of examples where you have to carry more than ONE weapon

Concerning the Object Looter, it's not wow-like ! It won't break the fluidity at all: when you just press q and released it instantly, the looter window will take focus, the nearest object will be select automaticaly, and yo will pick it => it will work exactly as lugaru. You won't even see a difference. Using this looter will just allow you to see near objects (cause they sometimes hard to see), and if you have some time, allow you to select the one you want among others.

- Rmx
Last edited by Rmx on Mon May 04, 2009 5:33 am, edited 6 times in total.

Swordarm

Post by Swordarm » Mon May 04, 2009 1:31 am

Neither Lugaru nor Overgrowth are World of Warcraft.

While I'd like some RPG elements in the game, it hate to tell you that World of Warcraft isn't an RPG.
Looting is not what defines RPGs nor is Grinding and Leveling.
RPG stands for RolePlayingGame, meaning you are supposed to play a person in a world. Real RPGs set their focus on exactly that, being the person in the world.

Play Oblivion, play TheWitcher, play the Baldurs' Gate Series on PC (especially BGII:Shadows of Amn).

And that's what I'd like to see in Overgrowth, a bit more freedom to explore, some decisions to make (WITH A LASTING IMPACT), some optional missions.
Wolfire already announced plans for this reputation system, which changes reactions of NPCs both in combat and not depending on your reputation as a figher. Sparing enemies (means defeat them without killing) or ripping them apart will change that.

Rmx

Post by Rmx » Mon May 04, 2009 5:01 am

I agree with you:
Swordarm wrote:Neither Lugaru nor Overgrowth are World of Warcraft.
I dislike level system and i don't want to see it in the game. I don't want a game based on stupid creepind/farming/looting.( I found attribute as strenght,agility,... stupid too, cause they are not realistic: same body => same capabilities).
I think keepind a free world to explode with great movements capabilities would be great (climbing,...) and where player have to play carrefully to kill an ennemy, and just not have to click on him. I think everybody agree.

-> If I say that I would like to see an inventory, it's because I hope it will allow more possibilities to the game (I found lugaru great, but a bit too basic ).
-> Concerning the 'object looter', it will just allow when you keep 'q' press, to chose the object to take, and, allow payer to see near objects ( see 2 post above)

- Rmx

ps: i added a new wish for the next alpha in the firs post: DECREASING THE MINIMUM JUMP-HIGH: (we actually can perform high jumps, but we can't make small ones, even if we just tap' space-bar)

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Mon May 04, 2009 6:00 pm

By WOW-like, I meant the idea of looting. In the original Lugaru, you (or at least I) never just walked up to a body and selected the item to take while the fight was going on.

The picking up of the item needs to be done in less than a second. When you roll over a dropped knife in a fight, you don't have time to navigate with the arrow keys up or down before you are past the weapon.

For the inventory, I'm fine with it, as long as it isn't the grid of boxes type inventory. The one suggested here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4188&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... =90#p75469

would work well. I wouldn't be opposed to maybe having the number of weapons upgradable, so that if you got a belt, for example, you would be able to carry 4 knifes instead of 1.

The minimum jumping sounds fine, depending on when it would be needed. It'd depend on the level setup.

Vrav

Post by Vrav » Tue May 05, 2009 3:00 am

Small jumps would be cool for hopping back in combat. Or we could just have a sort of double-tap dodge system. As for a "loot window," yes, I would notice the difference; the difference is that there is a pop-up UI, which totally breaks immersion; the game should be perfectly playable without accessing any sort of 2D user interface. If you want to make it easier to see nearby items, have a key highlight them on the ground or something.

A UI for the editor would be great though, with object lists and group hierarchy, etc.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue May 05, 2009 6:26 am

Vrav wrote:Small jumps would be cool for hopping back in combat. Or we could just have a sort of double-tap dodge system.
That's a pretty good idea. Double-tap for quick, short jump, space for big jumps.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue May 05, 2009 8:11 am

Endoperez wrote:
Vrav wrote:Small jumps would be cool for hopping back in combat. Or we could just have a sort of double-tap dodge system.
That's a pretty good idea. Double-tap for quick, short jump, space for big jumps.
Once again, you people manage to remind me of Rune.

tokage

Post by tokage » Tue May 05, 2009 8:41 am

Actually, I don't like the idea of double tap. In every game, that does things like jump or boost on double tap, it got more in my way than it helped me. Most of the time I ran over a small bridge wanting to dodge a little to right or left but instead just jumped into the abyss, so I always tried to turn it off.

Maybe it is just me and my style of using multiple short keytaps for short distance accuracy, but if this is really implemented, there should be a way to turn it off and even better a way to accomplish the same by different means.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue May 05, 2009 11:01 am

tokage wrote:Actually, I don't like the idea of double tap. In every game, that does things like jump or boost on double tap, it got more in my way than it helped me. Most of the time I ran over a small bridge wanting to dodge a little to right or left but instead just jumped into the abyss, so I always tried to turn it off.

Maybe it is just me and my style of using multiple short keytaps for short distance accuracy, but if this is really implemented, there should be a way to turn it off and even better a way to accomplish the same by different means.
I was just thinking this. Considering that Lugaru wouldn't have any sprint key, you could have one set to evasive mode or something. Holding down control and then hitting S, for example, would perform the backwards handspring thing that's in Lugaru now when you hold S and click. Control + A would do a sideways dodge of some sort, but it would have to be different form a roll because you simply need to do A+shift=roll. Perhaps the hop that was mentioned. perhaps it could be like in Rune where you could attack while doing these things, but in overgrowth the added momentum would probably add some damage. (CTRL+W to leap forwards at enemy, right click to drop kick him... but if he dodges then you'll end up flat on your back =) )

This would also add some new sort of possibilities. CTRL+click = feint punch? CTRL+spacebar (jump) could do what?

Rmx

Post by Rmx » Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

when i said 'decreasing the minimum jump-high' I wanted to say that when you're in front of a little object (brick, little rock,...) and you want to jump over it, you should be able to do it without ending the jump 5 meters far from the start. Actually, you can push space (jump) for 0.1 sec, or 0.5 sec, it will do the same thing => that's annoying.
I know that actually, you jump higher if you stay 1 sec instead of 0.5, but it should be a different jump when you push space for 0.1, 0.2, or 0.5 secs.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue May 05, 2009 11:39 am

Jumping while crouching makes you go higher.

I also think it should be like in LittleBIGPLanet (which the developers love so very very much =)

You tap the button and let go before the animation even finishes playing and you'll do a tiny hop, not a huge jump. With the procedural animation I can imagine 'mantling/climbing' on objects this way.

mryuck

Post by mryuck » Tue May 05, 2009 8:02 pm

Lugaru did have the variable jump that your imagining. Even without crouching, holding the space bar would change the height of the jump you preformed.

I assume that therefore, this feature will make it into Overgrowth. The Devs probably just haven't had the time to explore these kind of fine controls for the player, given that the engine still needs some work. Such features will most likely appear later on

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue May 05, 2009 8:23 pm

From what I remember, you couldn't do a small hop. There was a rather high minimum jump height, but I might be wrong.