Aerial Attacks in Overgrowth?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Lord_of_Sausage

Aerial Attacks in Overgrowth?

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Fri May 29, 2009 11:11 am

What do you think of having Aerial Attacks in Overgrowth?

In Lugaru, if you jumped into someone, it often ended in death, But what if you could change that? So that attacking in air, would result into a "Flying Kick" stance. Ofcause, it's the developers choice, in the long run :)

Endoperez

Re: Aerial Attacks in Overgrowth?

Post by Endoperez » Fri May 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Waiting high above and then jumping on an unsuspecting enemy should be easier, but only when you meant to do that. Accidentally killing enemies when trying to jump away from them would be silly.

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Fri May 29, 2009 1:33 pm

I think you misunderstood. The Flying kick jump thingy could work like a Leg Cannon, when the enemy is in the air. In Lugaru, you will die if you collide with someone in the air. Ofcause, it's not a big deal, Turner is overpowered anyways :roll:

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri May 29, 2009 1:47 pm

If there is no aerial attack then you should at least not die when crashing into enemies... at least only take come damage or get into some sort of grapple and land on the ground...

I just pictured two floating blocks up on the sky, two rabbits jump at each otherand grab each other mid-air, trying to claw at each other as they plummet towards the ground at high speed.

The winner of this fight would be neither, but the rocks below =)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri May 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Ah, pardon me. To combatants colliding with each other and falling to ground isn't very cinematic, so yeah, it would be nice to have some "ground-to-air" and "air-to-air" moves.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun May 31, 2009 6:59 am

Oni: you could jump and then click the attack buttons to make an attack-like movement in mid-air. It was one of the things I kinda missed when playing Lugaru. My opinion, at least some amount of control (over limbs and attacks rather than flying power) when jumping or falling would be very welcome.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun May 31, 2009 10:01 am

The one thing I'd like to see is the removal of the enemies ability to (reliably) grab you down from the air. You should be able to jump away if you in a spot.

The enemies should have the ability to jump after you and hit you down from the air, maybe resulting in Turner's falling out of the jump.

Zhukov

Now with illustrations!

Post by Zhukov » Sun May 31, 2009 12:30 pm

Aerial attacks would be appreciated. I felt that they were missing from Lugaru. There is something extremely appealing about the notion of thwacking enemies out of the air with a quarterstaff of something.

Edit: Stick figure illustrations now included. In each picture the rabbit is the attacker (labeled "Att") and the cat is the defender (labeled "Def"). My apologies if the writing is hard to read.

Some off-the-top-of-my-head suggestions:
Air-to-air. (This probably wouldn't happen often, so it should be fancy.)
Attack: A tackling move. Two combatants collide in mid-air. The attacker grabs the defender and positions themselves on top. When they hit the ground, attackers lands feet-first on defender's stomach. Damage ensues.
Reversal: After being grabbed but before landing, defender curls up and performs feet-together thrust into attacker's chest or chin.
Counter-reversal: Attacker blocks foot thrust with arms. Force of thrust pushes combatants apart.

Air-to-ground.
Attack: Simple kick to the noggin. Something like this (last panel).
Reversal: Defender grabs attacker's foot and twists. Attacker hits ground... hard.
Counter-reversal: Attacker kicks themselves free with other foot. Hits ground rolling.

Ground-to-air.
Attack: Same as Lugaru leg-grab. It would be amusing if - when applicable - you could grab their tail.
Reversal: After being grabbed, defender lands feet-first on attacker's shoulders, driving them into the ground.
Counter-reversal: Attacker crouches down, tipping defender off shoulders. Defender hits ground rolling.

Of course that's just the unarmed versions. You would need variations that take weapons and species into account.
Phew, the guys are going to have to do a crapload of animations. Even if they don't include aerial attacks.

Huh. I have a sudden urge to start drawing stick-figure layouts for potential Overgrowth attack animations. This cannot be healthy.
Last edited by Zhukov on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Sun May 31, 2009 2:35 pm

Hehe.

I actually think that the enemies abillity to pull you down in a jump, should be kept. It only happens if you aren't high up in the air. I mean, if my enemy jumped just over my head, i would just grab his feets and throw him to the ground (if i was strong enough, ofc :roll: )

Well, Air to Air, i actually thought about a flying/jump kick. The reversal could then be grabbing the foot and twisting it, and the counter reversal could be positioning yourself above the enemy, while falling.

tokage

Post by tokage » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:21 am

I like what you did there Zhukov. I could clearly envision how it looks (and it looks great).
And I too would agree that the ground to air should be kept. It would simply be odd, when you could do all kinds of fancy in air acrobatics, but failed at grabbing someone to pull him down with both feet on the ground.
Lord_of_Sausage wrote:and the counter reversal could be positioning yourself above the enemy, while falling.
I feel, that the counter-reversal should mean little to no damage for both combatants, so I am more for Zhukov's version (of the counter-reversal).

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 am

I think that if you're standing on top a rock and there's a guard that's standing a little out from the bottom, you should be able to swan dive down on him and tackle him. Wouldn't that be cool? And keep that Lugaru function where if you have a knife unsheathed and you reverse someone, you cut them. That could happen with this. You dive down, slit their throat, and roll to safety, spring up and jump into the fray. :mrgreen:

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:02 am

I wrote:Huh. I have a sudden urge to start drawing stick-figure layouts for potential Overgrowth attack animations. This cannot be healthy.
I am weak. I have succumbed to the temptation.

Images edited into my previous post. Tell me what you think.

tokage

Post by tokage » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:46 pm

As I already said I like it, even more when printed out. The landing on face is just hilarious.

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:53 pm

I know it's supposed to say Dmg when one of them takes damage, but I can't help but read it as Omg

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:47 pm

Hehe, i read it as "Ding" in the start :P

Maybe, Air to Air could be a Leg Cannon like attack, instead of a grab attack?