this is what i would like to see in OverGrowth

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Dicel

this is what i would like to see in OverGrowth

Post by Dicel » Sat May 30, 2009 3:08 am

Ok. I know you guys will be doing a great job but id like to put this out coz i thort it is a good idea ""and sorry for the spelling"" Well I loved in Lugaru how you pulled me in with this crushing sad story about why turner went on the revenge path. but what i would love to see in Overgrowth is a sad drama right from the start like the rabbits are getting wipetout becose there the main sorse of food so turner knows he must stop the races from killing the rabbits becose there is less and less of them but as he finds out that the other raceis are allso in the same shoes as the rabbits as there running out of food for there famelys and there is this sad felling you get that if the other race's dont kill the rabbits thay will all die off idk how you guys will do this but basicley im saying that i wanna see a sad story to all the raceis a droping felling you get knowing that to save your race you must be as brutal as your enameys soo to do whats right for the rabbits is doing the rong thing by brutaly killing the other races off soo it makes turner have flash backs on how hes famley got killed by brutal force but thay were only doing that becose thay needed to expand there terrortorrey soo he know that killing the wolfs/cats/rats is doing the same thing as the bandits did to him (trying to servive) i think ideas like this will suckin the player make him fell that he cant do the right thing but thats the only way he can do the right thing for the rabbits it will show this sad empteyniss to turner he can ether watch the rabbits die or do the evil things that happend to his famly to the other races.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Re: this is what i would like to see in OverGrowth

Post by Wilbefast » Sun May 31, 2009 7:54 am

I don't think everyone has the courage to read your one very long sentence, so I've tried my best to untangle it - I hope I got the right end of the stick :?

Ok. I know you guys will be doing a great job but I'd like to put this forward because I think it's a good idea.

Well, I loved in how Lugaru pulled you in with this crushingly sad story explaining Turner's vendetta, so what I would like to see in Overgrowth is the same sort of drama right from the start:
Say the rabbits are getting wiped out because they're the main source of food and Turner naturally wants to prevent this. What he discovers however is that the other races have the same problem: they too are running out of food, hence their need to kill rabbits.
Basically I'd like to see a story with moral ambivalence - in the end it's every man for himself in tough times: you litterally can't save yourself or your people without hurting someone else - Turner would gradually realise that the struggle has turned him into a monster, and that he's now just as bad as the raiders who killed his family - the tale would thus end less on a thoughtful rather than a euphoric note: vengence accomplishes nothing, and there's rarely a clear cut good and bad guy.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun May 31, 2009 9:56 am

Whitespace and punctuation is key. :wink:

That'd be a great idea, besides the fact that now I already know the ending. :P
I'd prefer that Wolfire kept most of the plot secret until the game is released, so that it feels fresh and new when I play it.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:40 am

I think it's an interesting idea - a cut above the average "someone has wronged you, go kill them" storyline. I have to say I have greater faith in David's prowess as a crazy-smart mathematician, programmer, animator and all round savante than I do is his ability to spin a yarn :?

Still, Lugaru didn't have much of a story and it was great fun to play. Just goes to show... something...

Zhukov

Story.

Post by Zhukov » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:52 am

Wilbefast wrote:I have to say I have greater faith in David's prowess as a crazy-smart mathematician, programmer, animator and all round savante than I do is his ability to spin a yarn.
Ditto. I really couldn't have said it better.

I am confident that Overgrowth will look pretty and have great gameplay. But I am not confident that there will be an engaging story to give a point to the action.

However, the content of some of the recent blog posts seems to indicate that the guys are putting some real thought into this. If the story ends up being lame, it will be despite their best efforts.

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:13 am

If whale man does not make an appearance, I will :cry:, and lose all faith in humanity

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:20 am

we need to start some kind of clan.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:24 am

Go Team Ambergris...?

Untadaike

Re:

Post by Untadaike » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:33 am

Zhukov wrote:Go Team Ambergris...?
YUMMY!
LOL.

bigbutbald

Post by bigbutbald » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:23 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:Whitespace and punctuation is key. :wink:

That'd be a great idea, besides the fact that now I already know the ending. :P
I'd prefer that Wolfire kept most of the plot secret until the game is released, so that it feels fresh and new when I play it.
how is that going to work with the weekly betas?

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:36 pm

I agree with TheBigCheese & did you know Ambergris = $$$

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:23 pm

bigbutbald wrote:how is that going to work with the weekly betas?
I figure that we're going to be getting the engine betas but maybe not the specific levels that make up the story. Or at least as long as they give them to us in chronological order so we can figure it out for ourselves.

Xerxes713

Post by Xerxes713 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:35 pm

A nice idea, but I would like to see a character who isn't Turner, or who is Turner but does not have the same past, meaning without the heavy amount of familial slaughter.

Of course, when David runs out of ideas, he can always turn to the Big list of RPG Plots. http://www.io.com/~sjohn/plots.htm

DarkJee

Post by DarkJee » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:42 pm

I would like to see too a story based on like... the loss of a loved one..

Like it starts and Turner is living in happiness with his "wife" or girlfriend and its pure loveness but then something went wrong, he had to go for a mission but he get hurt badly, so he lose his memories and emotions like love, sadness, etc.

Beeing unable to feel any normal emotion, he's lost and when his girlfriend come to him and try to help him, Turner gets upset in front of this pure stranger and hurt her. His "girlfriend", broken, extremly sad, and wounded ran and go away because she lost her lover.

Then, someone of another race found her, alone, lost and destroyed, so he decide to help her with pity. Then I don't know what could arrive but a lot later, Turner could become the enemy #1 of this race, since he became really wild and emeny of a lot of people.

But the girlfriend, that is now allied to this race, finally (in a sort of way) become the final boss of the game. And when we end up beating her, something happen and Turner suddenly remember of his girfriend, that is presently dying of his hand, in front of him. Then it could have an ending cinematic that is sad, or not.. like he's walking away, filled with anger and sadness...

Well.. I love movies/games when they are sad, when they finish sad. =P

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:09 pm

Id rather see Turner be blood thirsty for revenge madly & psychotically killing everyone on the land at the end of the game he is standing on a massive pile of dead bodies extremely blood covered & feeding off the rotting flesh of his defeated adversaries.