Unofficial, alpha 29 weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Unofficial, alpha 29 weekly build

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:31 am

The unofficial, alpha 29 leaked build is here!

A "leaked build" is when John and I literally grab the latest SVN build and package it up for you guys. It has a ton of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David, Phillip, and Aubrey, but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly! Please report bugs in Trac! http://trac.wolfire.net/spf/overgrowth

*NOTE* Please remember that these are unofficial alphas and they do not represent a finished product. They are not even polished builds, just straight up raw development dumps not intended for public consumption.

New in this version: (see blog)

Also, press F to toggle wireframe stuff. Press 8 and 9 to toggle the Rabbot. Press ` for the console. Type Console.help() for the console commands. Press b to spawn a physics box, right click to drag it around. Press r to spawn a ragdoll and F1 for WebKitten.

We are testing out BitTorrent DNA this week! Please let me know how that goes.
Windows: (direct) (torrent) (BitTorrent DNA)
Mac OS X: (direct) (torrent) (BitTorrent DNA)

Subscribe to the dev blog!

Note! No PPC, 10.4 Tiger, or Linux support at the moment -- we are waiting on Google Chrome for these. We are not sure when this will happen. Linux support is on the horizon though!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Unofficial, alpha 29 weekly build

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:32 am

Should be ready in about 15 minutes. (I had to redo the alpha because of an issue the first time)

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:34 am

Using: late '08 MBP, 2.63 GHz Core2Duo, 4GB ram, Nvidia 9600M GT, 512 Vram, MacOS 10.5.6

A29 Rundown

Sorry for missing out last week, my computer was getting fixed. It's back and working again now :)

The usual Disclaimer: These are merely suggestions/ free-form obvervations. Some of these I might have missed in earlier versions, some might be redundant, and I do know that this is only an alpha and so many things still need to be improved/optimized or might be on the list already to be changed in the near future. Some of what I say you may even disagree with, so feel free to comment, but please, be constructive.

This is also for those people who have pre-ordered, but are unable to test these alphas.

(+) means that it's good, (-) that it's bad, (/) Other/Neutral

(again, this has been split into separate parts to make viewing/commenting easier.)
Last edited by Johannes on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:52 am

General

(-) The alpha startup screen prompts you for your code, and even when you enter it and press 'ok!' nothing happens. It seems that this shows up even when the user has already entered their information before, and so even-though it asks for the code, if it's already saved from a previous alpha you can load maps just fine.
=Edit= Jeff re-uploaded it and says this should not be the case anymore. =Edit=

(-) The Console still shows up when you load a map

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:52 am

Gameplay

(+) When rabbotwo gets too annoying you can now punch him and he will go flying as a ragdoll. This is oh so satisfying. The time it takes for Rabbotwo to 'recover' seems to be timer based.
(+) as you can see above, impact clouds work without errors now.
(-) when punching Rabbottwo it replaces him with the standard ragdoll. That's not a problem, but when it does so you can sometimes see Rabbotwo flying off for one frame when the ragdoll appears, and back when it disappears.
(-) it's possible to punch Rabbotwo through the ground, and the ragdoll does not react with the invisible floor that has been added recently. To do this, punch Rabbotwo, run after him, and while he is still in ragdoll mode jump over him and when you are about to land punch him into the floor. If done right he will vanish. (see video linked below for example)
Last edited by Johannes on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:53 am

Editors/Browsers

General Editor
(-) although you can switch editor modes by pressing cmd(ctr)+1-3 you will only open the object browser if you press the 'load object' tool. Again, Neither the Hotspot, nor the Decals editor will open when you click the 'load object' tool. To open the other browsers you need to do cmd(ctrl)+L. that will open the browsers correctly.

(-) You cannot duplicate an object more than twice. After you have duplicated an object option(alt)+modifier+mouse-drag, and you try to duplicate the duplicate that was just placed, the object in the original position disappears, and is not selectable anymore. This happens regardless of what transformation you do when duplicating.
(-) When copy-pasting a group, the new pasted group is not selectable. Instead clicking on it will select the original group. The same is true for duplicating via option(alt)+modifier+mouse-drag. If the original is deleted the newly pasted group remains non-editable

(-) Often when selecting a group the individual objects' bounding boxes don't appear, but the objects glow in the group's color, showing they are selected.
(-) a Group's entire Bounding box is not visible anymore.

(-) Some of the objects alternate fading black to regular texture and back depending on their distance from the camera. This happens for example on several of the default object browser objects. This seems to be a shader bug.

Object Browser
no noticeable changes.

Hotspots Editor/Browser
(-) Though selectable in the browser once it is visible (See General editor), Hotspots are not placed when clicking on the ground.
(-) In map 2 there are existing hot-spots. these are selectable/transformable, but when translated they will project their position in a straight line onto the ground behind them. and then will slide on the surface of the map when you drag them.

Decals Editor/Browser
(-) Though selectable in the browser once it is visible (See General editor), Hotspots are not placed when clicking on the ground. Phillip informs me that the decals (which are now xml based) were not properly included in this alpha (they will live in Data/Objects/Decals).

Console
(+) old news, but Keystrokes don't show up in console anymore
(-) old as well, typing in console is slow and sluggish feeling compared to typing, not at all conveying the low level access of power as a normal console/terminal should.
Last edited by Johannes on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:53 am

Suggestions/Other Comments

(/) The text editor, the inspector and the time-line editor are all not accessible yet. Would be awesome to try at least one of these next week.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:27 am

Hey Jo-Shadow, would there be any chance of a video of the ragdoll shove for us poor deprived PPC folks...?

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:32 am

The blog says that jeff's gonna put something up for you poor PPC folks.

Johannes

Re:

Post by Johannes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:33 am

Zhukov wrote:Hey Jo-Shadow, would there be any chance of a video of the ragdoll shove for us poor deprived PPC folks...?
I'd be delighted to, gimme a minute.

=Edit=
Of-course they'll add awesome video of it on the blog, but it's too fun for me to pass up:
Movie ~9MB
Cartoon noises courtesy of www.findsounds.com

GDer

Post by GDer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:16 am

Please remove that empty "localcode.txt" because it overwrites the old code and I have to either write the code again or remove that empty file from archive every time manually.
Last edited by GDer on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:23 am

jo-shadow wrote:...but it's too fun for me to pass up: Movie ~9MB
Whoo! Awesome has occurred.

Thankee muchly!

Eruditemoose

Post by Eruditemoose » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:17 am

Punching rabbotwo is now more statisfying then ever, though I'm still curious as to why a plantigrade ragdoll was used rather than a digitgrade one, as all the animals are digitigrade (I'm guessing its just for testing purposes, but it'd be cool to have something more rabbit-like to kick around).

Also, any hints on how to access the new object browser or the text editor, or are those still not implemented?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Eruditemoose wrote:... I'm still curious as to why a plantigrade ragdoll was used rather than a digitgrade one, as all the animals are digitigrade...
I'm guessing this is just because so far they only made the standard plantigrade ragdoll and haven't yet made the digitigrade version, so it just swaps that in.
Eruditemoose wrote:Also, any hints on how to access the new object browser or the text editor, or are those still not implemented?
I asked phillip and he said that unfortunately there is no way for us to access these yet. There are Alot of things currently in flux that should be added soon.

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:35 pm

I can't place hotspots or decals