Games with interesting Stealth Mechanics

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
biztone

Re: Games with interesting Stealth Mechanics

Post by biztone » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:54 pm

I'm Shock that someone posted Vampire Rain...granted it has stealth aspects but come on Seriuosly :shock:

Swordarm

Post by Swordarm » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:11 pm

now Vampire Rain is definitly NOT belonging on this list :lol:
Metro is a problematic game too, the premise of the stealth sections was great but the execution (as pretty much everything in the game that involves AI or scriots) not all that much...

biztone

Post by biztone » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:35 pm

True...executions shouldn't play into stealth mechanics as much BUT its just an amesome counter part.

Ex.
Sneaky pass one person unseen in the darkness then continuing on with the mission without further delay. *(seems reasonable .)

Ex.2
Sneaky pass one person unseen in the darkness then perform a grueling execution on the Guard who nelgected his duty by ensure no tresspasser got through then disposing the body in a river channel or bushes.(Just makes me smile inside... :twisted:)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:46 am

Swordarm wrote:Metro is a problematic game too, the premise of the stealth sections was great but the execution (as pretty much everything in the game that involves AI or scriots) not all that much...
I respectfully disagree, I thought the stealth aspects were quite satisfying.

Swordarm

Post by Swordarm » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:03 am

they were a lot better than the shootouts yes :lol: still, inconsistent AI...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 am

Well earlier in the thread you suggested Spiderman, a game where enemies would stand still and say "It's Spiderman, help me!" and let you run over and punch them in the back of the head. Inconsistent AI? The thread title isn't "Games which are perfect and have cool stealth aspects". It's Games with interesting Stealth Mechanics. If Metro 2033 doesn't qualify due to silly AI, which it admittedly does have in some situations, then neither does Spiderman.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:46 pm

wilbefast wrote:A lot of the gameplay in Stealth games involves memorising these patrol routes: in other words, the player must build an improvised 4D map of the level in their head. Naturally doing so is great for practising spacial awareness and pattern recognition, which makes the experience as a whole very stimulating.

One interesting implication of this is that making the enemy more unpredictable doesn't necessarily make the game more fun to play...
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Stealth ... t-s-So-Fun

The Tenchu series has been on the list for some time :wink:

Whether I add Metro or not will depend entirely on whether Gade leaves in a huff or blugeons all present into submission with his scorn. Alea iacta est!

My hobby: slightly misusing Latin expressions and seeing if anyone is posh enough to notice...

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:48 am

Count Roland wrote:HAH! Crysis is the same game as far cry basically, they will see you through the bushes from miles away, and they will snipe you with the mounted machine gun on a motorboat from said miles away.
Well to be fair you can turn invisible whenever you want.

And they can't see you automatically, I have managed to sneak up on a group of baddies, only using the cloak to actually get right up behind them. It's usually easier at night though.

That new Assassin's Creed Bloodlines or whatever looks interesting. Might not be good, but it looks interesting at least. There aren't many games that use stealth against other players as a focus.

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:51 am

From the small amount I have seen, Bloodlines does look pretty interesting, but it's hard to say how it really is without actually playing it. Or maybe seeing a multiplayer game from several points of view at once to see how it all plays out. I can't help but feel that the only real stealth involved is exploiting the limited console field of view of the players you are up against rather than actually being all that stealthy.

Swordarm

Post by Swordarm » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:20 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Well earlier in the thread you suggested Spiderman, a game where enemies would stand still and say "It's Spiderman, help me!" and let you run over and punch them in the back of the head. Inconsistent AI? The thread title isn't "Games which are perfect and have cool stealth aspects". It's Games with interesting Stealth Mechanics. If Metro 2033 doesn't qualify due to silly AI, which it admittedly does have in some situations, then neither does Spiderman.
Hm, that's true to a degree. The difference is that (really awesome) SpiderMan Game had completely new mechanics. It was the first game ever that allowed full 3D movement on all the walls and so on AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED. The cooler mechanics like pulling people into various things are saddly not in the video.
Metro does not do something radically different from, lets say Thief mixed with Splinter Cell. Still, I can see your point. Consider my objection to be revoked. Post a good video and I am sure Wilbefast will add it.
invertin wrote: And they can't see you automatically, I have managed to sneak up on a group of baddies, only using the cloak to actually get right up behind them. It's usually easier at night though.
I've managed to sneak up behind a group of guards without using cloak at all in the jungle. Grabbed the first one (at that moment I was noticed of course), threw him against his two buddies, threw a grenade afterwards. Did not even look how the problem solved itself since I was already busy exchanging lead with the second group patroling the area, who had heared the screams and came running towards me.
All on the highest difficulty, one should add :D

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:45 am

For the record, it's been a long time since we changed from "games with interesting stealth mechanics" to "stealth games that we like". Maybe I'll just change the title officially so there are no more misunderstandings...