Games with interesting Stealth Mechanics

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Games with interesting Stealth Mechanics

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:25 am

Alright, so another of these threads, looking to create a list of games that do stealth well, so that people have something that can easily be referred to when they're discussing stealth in Overgrowth.

Please post a video that shows off the gameplay mechanics you're talking about, so that I can more easily add it to the list.

Here's another interesting video I found, called "a tribute to Stealth Games".

I've played all the Splinter Cell games released so far and there's no doubt in my mind that Chaos Theory was the best, both for the singleplayer multiplayer (which had the co-op removed and got super dumbed-down for Double Agent - even if it was pretty imbalanced in Chaos Theory). The AI was great, it was especially fun to screw around with them, and listen to them get more and more freaked out. They'd also notice broken doors, as well as (obviously) dead bodies.
The only issue would be the Starforce CD protection that installs itself without asking for permission. Oh, and the music (by Amon Tobin) was just awesome!

edit: here we go - favourite track

Hitman 2 is the only game of that series that I've tried out, but I had loads of fun playing it - unlike Splinter Cell you get to choose to a greater or lesser degree how you carry out the mission (though there's often one way that's sort of implied).
Hitman offered disguises which were always fun, and while the AI was exceedingly fickle it made things a little more interesting that just staying in the shadow till the enemy went past you.

Ultimately I haven't played that many stealth game aside from the Splinter Cell series, which is why I need help from you guys - played any game which offer an interesting new take on stealth? Failing that, do you know of any games that do the whole "hiding in the shadows" thing particularily well?
Last edited by Wilbefast on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 16 times in total.

TheBigCheese

Re: Games with interesting Stealth Mechanics

Post by TheBigCheese » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Here's a good video for Batman: Arkham Asylum

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/silen ... kham/47538

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Assassins creed? The whole game is about stealth.. i mean ASSASSINs creed :P

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:25 pm

Can't believe Metal Gear Solid wasn't the first game mentioned...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Can't believe Metal Gear 2 wasn't the first game mentioned.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:21 pm

can't believe metal gear wasn't the first game mentioned. lol

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:45 pm

I think Metal Gear 2 was more innovative in terms of stealth gameplay than both Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:40 pm

I was really joking. metal gear had horrible stealth, you just waited for them to look away and then you moved. or you avoided the cameras or heat detectors or w.e.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Yeah tell me about it. How the hell did they get from Metal Gear to Metal Gear 2? They were probably like "This sucks, let's change it."

Darwinian

Post by Darwinian » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:37 am

MGS, techu, manhunt > rest of stealth games

turbochop

Post by turbochop » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:45 am

What, no one mentioned the thief series of games? It's a travesty i tell ya!

* Edit

Nevermind, i guess i forgot to read the first post :oops:
Last edited by turbochop on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:23 am

Manhunt didn't have a good stealth system. Tenchu was mediocre.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:20 am

Never played Manhunt or Tenchu - can we get some sort of consensus so that I know whether to add them or not: so far it's one all...

I'll add MG2 - looks like I'll have to find my own video though :cry:
TheBigCheese wrote:Here's a good video for Batman: Arkham Asylum

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/silen ... kham/47538
I have made note of that - interesting AI or so it would seem. However since it hasn't been released yet it's easy to get the wrong idea - c'est d'ailleur why I never added to the other list: somebody make a point of buying that game when it comes out so we can have someone idea of what it's actually like!
Lord_of_Sausage wrote:Assassins creed? The whole game is about stealth.. i mean ASSASSINs creed :P
Biggest cakewalk I've ever played :P

What never made sense is that you could duck out of sight and run for it and they'd hunt you forever, but the moment you jumped into a haystack they'd stop looking. I guess it was interesting that people would only react to you doing "anti-social" acts and wouldn't just attack you on sight - not much depth though, I mean, did I mention it was a cakewalk?

I'll add it anyway :wink:

edit: it appears in typical Ubisoft fashion that the game can be played by a trained monkey, but if you want to have bragging rights then there is a fair amount involved (see video). Generally I stick to what works, a since taking 12 sword blows to the face works :|
turbochop wrote:What, no one mentioned the thief series of games? It's a travesty i tell ya!
Thief's been improved upon, but I guess it is the "original" stealth game in the same way that Wolfenstein 3D is the "original' FPS (even if you can't really compare it to COD 4 - that's right, the 4th fish).

Guess I'll have to find a video myself *grumble*
Last edited by Wilbefast on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:35 am

I actually never played Assassins creed myself :P

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:57 am

Lord_of_Sausage wrote:I actually never played Assassins creed myself :P
Lol - guess I've lost faith in Ubisoft over time: they want a broard audience so their games get shallower and shallower - it was especially annoying how they gimped the whole Spies vs Mercs thing, but I guess you can always play the old version.

Another series that's getting rooted by "let's sell to a wide audience" is Supreme Commander: gone is the delicate economic model, gone is the unique system for aquiring technology - heck, baring the rotating turrets, robots and explosions, gone is everything that made TA interesting: welcome to generic RTS town - with strategic zoom of course :wink:

So basically, TA was awesome, Supreme Commander was TA meets Google Earth meets "Optimisation? What's that? and Supreme Commander 2 is going to be Square Enix meets Google Earth - watch out for the emasculated men with pointy hair :|

Nothing to do with stealth of course, just wanted to have a rant...