World Scale

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
liamrudel

World Scale

Post by liamrudel » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:06 pm

As some of you may know, I have mentioned to the devs and once on IRC that the scale seems a bit off. It looks as though the world is huge yet rabbot can run to the top of a huge mountain in a manner of seconds. After the discussion I felt like my point was not fully understood so I decided that I should make a level to demo what I mean, so here it is:

And now with rabbot:

As you can see he is huge!
I even think the buildings could have been smaller, but then the tools became unuseable.
I can post up the level if people want it.

I think the solution would be to scale up the world quite a bit.

Hale

Re: World Scale

Post by Hale » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Maybe it's just because I've used the alpha too much, but to me it just looks like a miniature town. I see your point, then again, your very model off in regards to scale. Seeing as your doors almost reach the top of the roof, I'd expect that to be a closet, not a house.

liamrudel

Post by liamrudel » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:37 pm

I think your missing my point a bit, the door isn't a big deal, I find the editor hard to use in it's current state. And those houses are more like 1 room huts.

Luke!

Post by Luke! » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:06 pm

did you scale everything as tiny as you can?
because when i spawn a roof or a block beside rabbot and i don't scale it, the block is almost the double size of rabbot, same with the roof
also the resize tool is very handy so if you see that a house is to small you can scale the whole house
i think making rabbot a little bit smaller would be fine but not to much, at least we are talking about OVERgrowth

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Luke! wrote:did you scale everything as tiny as you can?
because when i spawn a roof or a block beside rabbot and i don't scale it, the block is almost the double size of rabbot, same with the roof
also the resize tool is very handy so if you see that a house is to small you can scale the whole house
i think making rabbot a little bit smaller would be fine but not to much, at least we are talking about OVERgrowth
The name tells nothing. It could be that the rabbot has overgrown the world, or the world rabbot. Something is big, but we don't know which.

The scale affects things like whether terrain feels like a plain, a hilly ground or a mountain range. It also depends on how big levels are going to be made - making the terrain bigger in relation to the rabbot essentially makes it bigger (more content fits into a single map).

liamrudel

Post by liamrudel » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:47 pm

After a chat on IRC I'm sure Aubrey will get the scale nailed, but continued disscussion is welcome!

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:31 am

Yeah, the scale was the first thing I noticed.

If it was meant to be a hilly plain, then the mountains are completely out of place.

I think the map's scale should be increased around 2-4 times.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Good catch, I see what you're saying. Although it is fun to treat mountains as playthings.

Sumguy720

Post by Sumguy720 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Rabbot was clearly designed 50x scale in order to contain the awesomeness that will grow into every single character in the overgrowth universe, including Turner.

He's like a rabbit Cronus.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:20 pm

It's Rabbotzilla! :D

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:13 pm

except cronus was kind of a jerk.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:08 am

I can't use the alphas on my ppc mac :( ,but can you guys tell me how far it is to run from one side to the other? Roughly, I mean, in game space.

Reason I ask is I made a modded heightmap for Lugaru with really steep-walled canyons, very tall, high enough where you would ragdoll and crash if you ran off a ridge toward the valley. Pretty fun to run around on, dangerous to fight on, dramatic, etc.

The problem was that the map shrank (from one invisible wall limit to the other) down to about a mile as the crow (or eagle) flies. You could see way into the distance to some cool volcano things I made in the heightmap, but you hit the wall.

I know diddly about computers, but I'm guessing the available floor space is set and gets used up quicker if the wrinkles are deeper and higher in the heightmap.

Will the OG space be big enough to handle deep canyons and not run you into the wall too soon?

Sumguy720

Post by Sumguy720 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:30 pm

Count Roland wrote:except cronus was kind of a jerk.
haha. I'm guessing you didn't see the agressive A.I. rabbot. Oh man. Total ass.