Big community campaign

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
kehaar

Re: Big community campaign

Post by kehaar » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:06 am

K, I wrote a bunch of stuff as a plot outline, or more of a back-story/prologue-- should I post it here, or email it to a group interested in batting around ideas, or just post it on the "general Wolfire" forum as fan fiction?

(I can't make maps yet :( , due to the PPCness of my Mac, and this kind of itchy rash, so I thought I'd write some plot)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:06 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:** I mean, c'mon a glabbit? A rabbat? A catrabbit?
...wha...what?
...my parents are...?
I'm a...?
D:

Nimai

Post by Nimai » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:59 am

I must help with this mod

OpethRockr55

Post by OpethRockr55 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:25 am

Meh. I might join in if you guys settle on something.

I've had the urge to model but still have a lot things I need to clear up in the next few months before dedicating something to my free time.

I'm eager to see what ideas you come up with, though.

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:14 am

Go ahead and post whatever you got here!

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Oakelly doakelly. {EDIT: a real chapter of this story is now under "OG fan fiction" here:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5408&p=89074#p89074}

Starting with Ren's funny plot intro:

Turner has an illegitimate lovechild with a rather promiscuous cat princess*, and in doing so causes uproar the likes of which has never been seen in the feline kingdom, cue hammy musical-style acting and voice overs from Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. Also, at least 7 soliloquies from Turner and the cat princess stating their forbidden love for the other but saying that they can never be together, and their regret for bearing such a freak-child**.

* Note: may not be realistically feasible.

** I mean, c'mon a cabbit? A rabbat? A catrabbit? It's absurd. They should be hung.

...I wrote this (much less funny) plot outline/prologue: [EDIT: OK, it's not a plot outline-- what the hell do I know about writing; I haven't written any fiction since high school, and that was 87 years ago.]

Though Turner vows to do the right thing and raise his bastard cat-rabbit child, the Cat's wealthy, politically connected parents refuse him. Their daughter's actions in the past have cost them much embarrassment at court, but this child is beyond the pale.

The Cat princess's father begins by threatening Turner with lawsuits, then with injury or murder, and finally, when it's realized that he will not be dissuaded, tells him they will kill the child if he does not leave the city. The Cat's father, accustomed to getting his way and never a forgiving man at the best of times, is at the end of his patience. Fearful of an even bigger scandal at court and among his business partners, he arranges to have the child killed in secret, even as Turner agrees to stay away.

The Cat's mother, however, falls in love with her new grandson, thinking (and rightly so) that the little fuzzy baby rabbit/kitten is the cutest thing ever blessed upon the earth by the Sun or Moon.
Knowing she hasn't much time, she sneaks the boy away in the middle of the night, just minutes ahead of the arrival of her husband's soldiers. The child's grandfather, furious to learn that his wife has made a fool of him, sends them after her. They catch her in the forest, but the child is nowhere to be found.

The Cat princess' mother does not expect mercy from the soldiers, and she is not wrong. They are under orders to bring her back, and she knows she will be tortured into giving up the child's whereabouts.
She attacks the soldiers, kills one and wounds 3 more before she is brought down by their Captain's knife.

The soldiers burn her body, and return to their master's house to report their failure. He lets them know he is displeased, but acts as though he will give them another chance to find the child. As they sleep that morning, he quietly pads into their rooms with a dagger and, starting with the Captain, murders them all. He buries their bodies beneath the cellar floor, and in the morning raises the alarm.

There is an inquiry, but the magistrate has long been in the pay of the child's grandfather, and after a short investigation no conclusions are reached. Gossip at court, secretly salted by the Cat patriarch himself, has it that the Captain kidnapped and murdered the patriarch's wife, and had fled Lugaru to avoid prosecution.

A few years passed, and among the people, rumors of the rabbit/cat boy are all but forgotten.

Turner, fearing for the child's safety, kept his word and broke off contact with the Cat woman.
The memory of the murder of his wife and daughter was water-clear in his mind; he knows they were killed because he posed a threat.

Turner contemplated simply killing the Cat patriarch, and knew he could do it. But what of the boy? Could he be sure the boy was dead? If the patriarch died, would the boy be in less danger, or more? Revenge had proved useless before, even worse than useless. For his family's suffering, he had inflicted that same pain on scores of other families. So much blood.

He was afraid to even investigate in the days that followed the child's disappearance, for fear his actions would lead to the boy's death.
He moved immediately away to another town and wrote the boy's mother one short letter telling her he was leaving, and never wrote to her again.

The woman herself was unsure of the child's fate, but feared to risk crossing her father, for she suspected him of having a hand in her mothers disappearance. She was contrite, and begged her father's forgiveness, and vowed to redeem herself in his eyes. She swore off drinking, and devoted herself to her father's business. She showed skill at negotiation, and was attentive to her father's instruction, and began to become a power in her own right in the business and at court.

With her help, her father became even richer and more powerful. He now controlled much of the trade between the cities of the interior and the coast. Because he had ties to both the bankers and to the nobles, his influence at the court grew to exceed even theirs. Some believe he may wield more real power than the King, but he is diligent in his denial of this, and supports the King both publicly and privately.

He is the only one who knows what happened to his wife and soldiers, and the fate of the child is never far from his thoughts. Even as his treasure and influence increases, he is distracted. He is afraid that, if the child is alive, his crimes will one day be exposed.

As time passes, his paranoia grows, and he begins to send discrete inquiries throughout the cities, searching for news of the child.

So? What happens to the kid, to Turner, to whoever helps the kid escape (and who are they), to the Cat Princess, & to her Father, the Patriarch?

And what greater, Island/worldwide story is going on? What struggle, war, etc.?
And anyone still reading this, damn you're patient.
Last edited by kehaar on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zipil

Post by zipil » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:17 pm

wow thats great would also fit perfectly into my idea of a level with a giant house with lots of floors and rooms to play around in. My only concern is who would you play as and if it would be fun to play as the person (also wouldn't we need to make a cat rabbit baby model because I am not sure if og is going it have children in it)

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:06 pm

kids are easy as npc's, just make a small person and proportion their head a little bigger relative to their body.(works in Lugaru)

What Lugaru can't do is save size and proportion for the "hero" character... no indication yet if OG will work the same.

Also there's the question of how much internal "what motivates the character" stuff you can convey in a story that's fundamentally about setting up fights :lol: . Maybe that's why most martial arts and action films suck.

What I wrote is just something my brain vomited up when I read Ren's thing, and now I think it's just back story, the stuff of tedious cut scenes you skip if the game will let you.

It did give me an idea for another possible map objective, though: the soldiers chasing the Cat matriarch through the woods might be done if there is some "smell-based" sense for the AI's--
You could have that variation on "avoid enemies to stay alive" if the bastards would really track you across a map! Also it might be very cool if you could be the chaser, and your prey would alertly scuttle away when you got clumsy, and keep running/hiding/fighting and running again. There's a bit of it in Lugaru where they run for help, but including a totally fearful AI might make a cool story aspect, especially if you wanted to play as a really mean character.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:38 am

We at the IRC channel have been working a little bit on a plot. It is truly what you can call a collaboration sort of shaped thing. I can name at least Jesse/Zipil and Kehaar and one or two or three other guys (Sorry, just woke up. Can't recall.), and myself, and not tannim. =)

Code: Select all

So, our currently name-less hero of currently unknown race (probably a rabbit thing, as OG probably won't support playing as other races, at least not just yet.) of low caste is being observed thrown out of a tavern in some foreign city. The observer realizes right away that he and this individual might share interests -- At least after some convincing.
    Our hero thingie is lured in by mr. Oogle. "Oy, you there. Aren't you getting tired of how they're treatin' ya?" And before our hero gets to reply, continues selling propaganda and promises in a hushed manner. He speak of a village funded on top of one of the old ruins, perfectly barricaded, free from the reign of the king, and most importantly free from the caste: Everybody live and share equally. Anybody's welcome. But our hero has never heard of this village before, and takes it all with a grain of salt.
    Later, after another horrible day, our hero realizes how futile his attempts to live a life in the city, and the words of our mr. Oogle echoes in his head. Maybe it's worth a try? He sure won't satisfy his hunger at this rate. At least the wild might have something for him. So, with nothing but the pants he's wearing, he sets out to find this curious village.
    On the late mid way, he even passes robbers without getting robbed (I mean, why would they?). Oh hoh hoh. Yeah, nothing of real interest is going to happen for now. Maybe to keep interest up, if you're not skipping the road altogether, you could have him fall in a hole while taking a shortcut. The hole would be a ruin, and the task at hand would be to find a way out. Maaaaaaaybe, if need be, put a FEW rats in there, but in that case make them really tough, as our character is currently very hungry and weak.
    As he finally exit the ruins in some mountain wall on the top of a valley, he can see the ruins housing the village on the other side, on a mountain cliff. (Maybe this could play a strategic role in the future? If so, the rats should not have been there, lest they being there was related to the village, somehow. Or if so, simply speaking to them would averge fighting if they're from the village.)
So, we've been thinking that the village is actually a militia type thing wanting to overthrow the king, though, at this point, nothing is set in stone. We would appreciate any ideas and comments you have. ;)
And yes, we're aware that this task is growing exponentially. =X

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:08 pm

Well thanks to Hale a small portion of work has been done- Here's what we came up with for a map.
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Mavrix/Art/map.png

If you just incorporate that map into your storyline, we'll put locations onto the map (City names, towns, what have you!)

Alright, go!

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:10 am

Hey, nicely done!

I'm thinking the village would be better located at either the end of east river (by the mountains, not the sea) or in the middle of low ridge. The capitol city would do nice along west river, or even better: Bay river, close to the northern opening of Rabid pass. That would make it very central.

I like your map! Skills, man. 8)

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:43 am

Nice map. But the text is a bit hard to read. Otherwise great. "Northern whales" ha ha!

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:55 pm

That looks great!

What scale did you have in mind? I mean how many kilometer's/ miles /days walking across is the island?

I always thought Lugaru would have to be pretty huge to have grassy woodlands, deserts, and snowy plains all on one island.

zipil

Post by zipil » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:13 pm

WOW thats great now we need is to get jeff to hook it up

Hale

Post by Hale » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:48 am

Here is an updated mockup of the map, I put four different towns on it that should coencide with the current story quite well. You'd start at 'The Village", then, when walking West you'd fall into those ruins through the mountain side, and end up on the other side overlooking that town you were supposed to find. I put the Capital city in and just another random town south of it. Also note that the 'paths' on it aren't intended to be actual roads, they are just supposed to mark the path that our nameless hero took.

Large Image

Any comments? Shall I send this to Jeff and be done with it or do we need a different set up?