Overgrowth trailer take 2

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Overgrowth trailer take 2

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:48 am

ok, so a long time ago i started a trailer for Overgrowth. i mean a LONG time ago.
but of course, i lost it. so just tonight i started another attempt at a trailer.
I roughed out the opening sequence, after these scenes, i hope to show various turner based activities. maybe follow a funny/humerous thread. anyway, tell me what you think. it is similar to the one i made a while ago but different.

PLEASE REMEMBER: These are FAR from final graphics, just some sketches to show timing and just to get my thoughts onto paper. :wink:
http://freshmack.deviantart.com/art/Ove ... -138521498
(no preloader, so just sit back and wait. it will play in its own good time :) sorry :oops: )

Hale

Re: Overgrowth trailer take 2

Post by Hale » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:58 am

Magnificent! I like the background for the text slides, and Turner was pretty badass. Then again, I always kinda felt Turner was more of the selfish kind, only fighting in revenge of his family's death. Either way, it looks awesome.

One other critique, however, would be that instead of saying "Ruled by Wolves", it would be interesting if it was either "Ruled by Tyrants" or something totally different, like "Without rule". Mainly because in the Overgrowth world, I kind of expected that the wolves, while being the most powerful, were simply nothing more than feared monsters and all.

Anyhow, epic trailer.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 am

Hale wrote:"Without Rule"
I like this a lot.. it kinda refers to the anarchist state the land of of overgrowth is in... :twisted:
what could the next few scenes have in store? :?
Should i maintain the main theme, or should i change the song to suit the mood of what happens, or come up with a plot to follow the song? :?
decisions decisions, and all during my final exam preperations :P
im not too rushed, as im sure there is a while yet for Overgrowth :D :lol:

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Hey, I just thought of that again yesterday... so you DID continue!
Neat.

"*growl*"
I love sketchboard humour.

It stopped before the music got good, though D:
And what happened to the standing-on-the-edge-of-a-cliff bit? I like the standing-on-the-edge-of-a-cliff concept D:

Apart from those niggles, it looks like it has epic potentials... I say this because it's unfinished. It's hard to judge unfinished stuff D:

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Definitely a great video, but from a marketing perspective, it doesn't sell the game. OG isn't working off graphics as the main selling point, so preferably trailers should show intense action.

What I'd like to see for a trailer would be a CG ninja-esque raid on a bandit camp, with lots of variety in camera angles.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Mike_Cuzins wrote:ok, so a long time ago i started a trailer for Overgrowth. i mean a LONG time ago.
but of course, i lost it. so just tonight i started another attempt at a trailer.
I roughed out the opening sequence, after these scenes, i hope to show various turner based activities. maybe follow a funny/humerous thread. anyway, tell me what you think. it is similar to the one i made a while ago but different.

PLEASE REMEMBER: These are FAR from final graphics, just some sketches to show timing and just to get my thoughts onto paper. :wink:
http://freshmack.deviantart.com/art/Ove ... -138521498
(no preloader, so just sit back and wait. it will play in its own good time :) sorry :oops: )
I think it would work better without the texts ("in a land..." etc), because we don't know enough about the story yet (perhaps the wolves are now almost extinct, resulting in overpopulation), and because the texts and/or the narrator are used a lot. The events in there show the gameplay well: open landscapes, lone rabbit, wolves as enemies, stealth and weapons, and whatever else you want to show with the other wolf... That'd be good enough, I think.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:39 pm

You have a weird build up to nothing, in my opinion, it's really nice until it abruptly ends. Perhaps you're hoping to put some action scenes thrown in? With the build up of the music? I know it's not finished, but it'd be nice to see the storyboard complete.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:13 pm

I've scrapped that story board completely.
I want to do something more light hearted and i dont plan on SELLING the game, just raise awareness. so i want to make an overgrowth related movie that is good enough to be on the internet long enough to spark some interest.
Things that will be important:
-fight scenes
-humour
-whaleman
-turner has some goal throughout the short...
-find a person
-find an object
-kill a person
-destroy an object
-some kind of twist?

This would have to be a subplot to that of "Overgrowth" so nothing too 'epic'...
Otherwise i'm scrapping the whole project until next holidays (for me that is in 1month and 12 days)

Hale

Post by Hale » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 pm

That sounds like quite an undertaking, but if you're up to it that'd be something I may even pay to see. Some thoughts, however...

Firstly, I think Whale man should only get a small appearance at the end or something, thus protecting his style of mystery and all.

Secondly, if you are having a hard time finding a good plot to go with, you could either go with the plot from Lugaru, or the plot mentioned Here. It'd be cool if we could finish that up, AND have a movie to go along with it. xP

Anyhow, I am just trying to spark some Community effort here and all. Either way, can't wait to see more Mike...

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:56 pm

EPIC! Amazing. GROUNDBREAKING. That is going to be sooo cool when completed. Nice artwork. :)

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:55 am

Mike_Cuzins wrote:so i want to make an overgrowth related movie that is good enough to be on the internet long enough to spark some interest.
Very cool idea, a bit of Machima would be awesome.