Animation mixing UI

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Animation mixing UI

Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Hey guys, I'm working on some new changes to the animation editor. Now you can have multiple animations and mix them together. Still a work in progress, but feedback is welcome. Make sure to resize your window appropriately.

We are targeting WebKit and I used many WebKit-only features, so be sure to use the latest version of Chrome or Safari (or better yet, a WebKit nightly) to test it out!

http://www.wolfire.com/ui/animationeditor2/editor.html

tekn04

Re: Animation mixing UI

Post by tekn04 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:08 pm

Very nice. It does take up a lot of space though.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:05 pm

Can we see a video of this in action? I'm sort of at a loss for exactly what it's supposed to be doing (other than multiple timelines).

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:30 pm

Seems to work nicely, stuff I noticed:

* I don't want to be able to drag the layers in any other place than the designated dragging area to the left of the name of the layer.
* You can remove all layers unabling you to add any layers at all.
* It seems the add/remove layers buttons are a bit too close together while at the same time looking very much the same, we don't want to remove a layer on accident.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:00 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:Can we see a video of this in action? I'm sort of at a loss for exactly what it's supposed to be doing (other than multiple timelines).
Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLvIbizPnTo&hd=1

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:02 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:Can we see a video of this in action? I'm sort of at a loss for exactly what it's supposed to be doing (other than multiple timelines).
Ditto sez I

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:36 pm

It seems to me like having a "+" button on every layer is a bit redundant when they all accomplish the same task. Probably better to put a single "add layer" button somewhere else.

Eagle0600
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Inner Rim, Orion Arm, Milky-Way, Universe

Post by Eagle0600 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Seen the video, but that doesn't tell me what it actually does. How does it "mix" the animations?

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:40 pm

What I'm assuming is that you would be able to combine different animations together. One might be a walking, and one might be a talking animation. Combining them together would produce a walking and talking character.

It occurs to me though, the animation editor is way too simple to be able to handle linking the animations to in-game actions. It'd work for scripted animations, but how would you be able to tie the animation to a combat move? Or tieing it to IK?

Also, it looks like you'll need a separate bone armature for the face in addition to the body. Otherwise, the face would be simulated with ragdoll physics when they are killed, which might be hard to pull off. Though thinking about it now, if we can have jaws that fall open with ragdolls, that would be crazy awesome!

camino1961

Post by camino1961 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:07 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:What I'm assuming is that you would be able to combine different animations together. One might be a walking, and one might be a talking animation. Combining them together would produce a walking and talking character.
Sounds like a easier version of non linear editing. If you can pull-this-off, it will be great because it will save us from creating poses files.

Exciting times, exciting times indeed.
camino1961.com
:shock: :) :D

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:20 pm

Eagle0600 wrote:Seen the video, but that doesn't tell me what it actually does. How does it "mix" the animations?
This is just the UI, haven't made the other part yet. :)

Eagle0600
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Inner Rim, Orion Arm, Milky-Way, Universe

Post by Eagle0600 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:26 am

Hrm. Then I shall suppress my curiosity and wait.

motion-mechanic

Post by motion-mechanic » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Maybe this is coming soon too, but I am eager to learn.

Scince I stumbled across Wolfire games, I have been reading about Webkit, Awesomium, CSS, HTML5 etc...

I am a traditional C++ programmer, not well versed in Javascript, and I wonder how you interface between the JavaScript and your C++ engine?

Looking at the code, there is a line...
var Client = {}
// Animation API, UI -> engine

When the 'Play' button is pressed, then you need to invoke the 'Play' function in your engine somehow. Is the Client.play(); call invoking this function? If so, I have no idea how. Are the bindings in another file?

If there is some reading that I could do to get myself up to speed, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Phil

motion-mechanic

Post by motion-mechanic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:56 pm

ok, so I have discovered 'V8', the JScriptEngine that Chromium is built on.

Now I just need to figure out how values get passed back and forth.

Are you guys using V8? Just out of curiosity?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:51 pm

Yup :) You figured it out. We use Client.play() or other similar functions to communicate between the two layers.