What's to stop you guys

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
tekn04

What's to stop you guys

Post by tekn04 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:22 am

from rigging rabbot's bones onto one of the characters, and letting us play them?

Eagle0600
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Inner Rim, Orion Arm, Milky-Way, Universe

Re: What's to stop you guys

Post by Eagle0600 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:24 am

Rabbot is made of distinct and simple shapes that need no distortion to move individually of each-other. I believe the team is still ironing out the rigging system for complex solid models.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:29 am

tekn04 wrote:from rigging rabbot's bones onto one of the characters, and letting us play them?
If they could do it, you could do it yourself.

tekn04

Post by tekn04 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Eagle0600 wrote:Rabbot is made of distinct and simple shapes that need no distortion to move individually of each-other. I believe the team is still ironing out the rigging system for complex solid models.
But he is essentially just bones. It is already possible to map bones to models and distort them accordingly - why not just sync the coordinates?
Endoperez wrote:
tekn04 wrote:from rigging rabbot's bones onto one of the characters, and letting us play them?
If they could do it, you could do it yourself.
Except that I have no access to the source, and they do. That they are experienced programmers, and I am not. :roll:

I'm not complaining, just pointing it out.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:21 pm

tekn04 wrote:But he is essentially just bones. It is already possible to map bones to models and distort them accordingly - why not just sync the coordinates?
Sure, but I'd rather them work on being able to hook ragdolls up to any model with some sort of ragdoll linker editor, rather than just giving us a premade one to play with.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:32 pm

tekn04 wrote:Except that I have no access to the source, and they do. That they are experienced programmers, and I am not. :roll:
I thought you were talking about the wolfire team using the new rigging tools to make a rabbit playable. That's why I said you'd be able to do it yourself, and in hindsight that was a bit rude.

If they did it manually, they'd eventually have to replace it with the proper version any way. Unless they felt it was required for some reason, that work would be wasted - it wouldn't have brought the final game any closer. It would only have made the alpha a bit prettier for some time. Since the rabbits haven't been available for that long time, and the programmers have been busy with the animator and rigging editors.

Any way, depending on what they are planning to show in the IGF, we might see a rabbit running in the engine before it...

namuol

Post by namuol » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:01 pm

tekn04 wrote:What's to stop you guys from rigging rabbot's bones onto one of the characters, and letting us play them?
I bet it wouldn't be that hard for them to get it working, but there are undoubtedly many other tasks to keep the Wolfire guys busy.

If all they did was grab the low-hanging fruit or "fun" tasks, the project would be full of holes and bugs.

Just be patient, it will pay off. :)