Unofficial, alpha 51 weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Unofficial, alpha 51 weekly build

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:33 am

The unofficial, alpha 51 leaked build is here!

A "leaked build" is when John and I literally grab the latest SVN build and package it up for you guys. It has a ton of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David and Aubrey but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly! Please report bugs in our Trac system!

*NOTE* Please remember that these are unofficial alphas and they do not represent a finished product. They are not even polished builds, just straight up raw development dumps not intended for public consumption.

New in this version: (see blog)

To download the alpha, use one of these two links:

Win: http://www.wolfire.com/spf-download/a51-win.zip
Mac: http://www.wolfire.com/spf-download/a51-mac.zip

Subscribe to the dev blog!

Note! No PPC, 10.4 Tiger, or Linux support at the moment -- we are waiting on Awesomium for these. AJS says that Linux support is on the horizon, but we cannot make any concrete estimates for it.

TimeToRule

Re: Unofficial, alpha 51 weekly build

Post by TimeToRule » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:29 am

Sweetz.

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:24 am

Love the new menu. Are you planning to rig turner's model to rabbot any time soon?

Froyok

Post by Froyok » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:42 am

Ac30 wrote:Love the new menu. Are you planning to rig turner's model to rabbot any time soon?
Ho yeah, that's will be great !

Froyok

Post by Froyok » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:09 pm

I Found a bug :

When I select an object and use CTRL+R, I crash the game.
It's normal ?

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 pm

I haven't been able to download the last two alphas. I'm downloading the mac zip and it gets halfway through and then an error message pops up. It says something about the file being unable to be read...
anyone getting this too? any suggestions?

tokage

Post by tokage » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:06 pm

VerdantPlanes wrote:I haven't been able to download the last two alphas. I'm downloading the mac zip and it gets halfway through and then an error message pops up. It says something about the file being unable to be read...
anyone getting this too? any suggestions?
I have an idea, don't know if it's correct. It sounds as if you lose the connection for some time(only long enough to timeout) and when your downloader tries to resume automatically he can't find the file. Could happen if your internet connection is unstable and is now an issue, because with the verification of the alpha key the file is only made available specifically for you to download. Only solution I see: Seize all other internet activity and pray for a stable connection, sorry.

Could be something else, though

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:47 pm

tokage wrote:Could happen if your internet connection is unstable and is now an issue, because with the verification of the alpha key the file is only made available specifically for you to download. Only solution I see: Seize all other internet activity and pray for a stable connection
that actually sounds pretty plausible. I usually just leave it to download and when I come back it has died. I'm going to try this. Operation blitz-load underway in 5... 4... 3...

MoDFoX

Post by MoDFoX » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:52 pm

The servers have to be at fault here, I've been getting horrible drops in speed for the past two Alphas.
I tried to download 50, it started out strong at 1.2MB/s and eventually dropped all the way down to 30KB/s before I stopped it.
Right now I'm using a download manager because I haven't been able to get a steady connection to the servers, and it's going up and down like there's no tomorrow.
Anywhere from 50KB/s to 1.35MB/s.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:15 pm

Hmm..
I have a constant 250kb/s going :?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Sorry about the download speeds. It is served from Amazon in Seattle, so if you are far from the datacenter, you may get slower service. I'm in Seattle right now and I am getting about 2 megabytes / second. :) CloudFront will have permissions support soon, so we will be able to put it back on the CloudFront CDN without incurring huge bandwidth bills from pirates.

Froyok

Post by Froyok » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:45 pm

Hmmm, I donwloaded the alpha yesterday morning, in france, and no problem.
750kb/s !

wolfie

Post by wolfie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi! I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm not sure where else to post it. I can't download this beta. I click on the alpha 51 for windows link; I enter my alpha key in the input box; I click download. I'm taken to a blank page, and nothing happens. I wait for 5 minutes, and still nothing happens. I go back, and request a resend of my alpha key. I compare the two keys, and both are the same. I'm using Firefox 3.x on XP. Has my key expired? Am I too impatient? Thanks for your help!!!

inspuration

Post by inspuration » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:02 pm

What happened to BitTorrent DNA? That worked well and shouldn't that alleviate any bandwidth issues?

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:48 pm

I think it was the fact that it didn't work with the alpha key verification system. It disappeared around the same time it was implemented.