thowing knives

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
pwnasaurus

thowing knives

Post by pwnasaurus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 pm

i know wolfire was worried about making ranged weapons cheap, and made comparisons to other games like assassins creed. well i was just having some fun with throwing knives in modern warfare 2, and realized that the same system could easily work with overgrowth, maybe with a slowmo feature. instead of having an automatic targeting system, where it is more or less luck whether they dodge it or not (like in lugaru), overgrowth could have a system where you have to lead your target and judge the pull of gravity depending on your distance. i realize this would make it near impossible to get in-combat kills, so wolfire could put in a feature where slowmo kicks in while you take aim (for the single player at least, everything slowing down for one guy could be really annoying in multiplayer).

another benefit of this is when you are trying to take down enemies with armor, or you are attacking a stronger foe, you could always aim for the head for a one shot kill.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this...

Pwnasaurus

TheBigCheese

Re: thowing knives

Post by TheBigCheese » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:24 pm

Actually, slow-motion would be great for specific things like ranged weapons, mid-combat. It would really add to the overall feel of the combat. As long as it's not excessively used, it'd be great.

As for knives with realistic physics, it get's a 'meh' from me. I'm sure that Wolfire is going to ditch the autoaiming feature (judging by the responses in another thread), and I think having realistic gravity would just make it too difficult to use, without much gain in gameplay.

pwnasaurus

Post by pwnasaurus » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:11 am

i understand what you mean about gravity. however id think that leading the enemy is a must. knives that teleport to your enemy would be just rediculous....

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:42 pm

I HATE SLOWMO!
For me it cuts up the Franticness of combat. I hate watching movies where people Slowmo batte. Slowmo NO! NO Slowmo!

Slowmo was something that Irritated me in Batman Arkahm Asylum, It generally Irritates me. Why do you think I don't to weed?

Unless High in game OG should keep away from slowmo!

dra6o0n

Post by dra6o0n » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:06 pm

I agree with less slowmo... Maybe in the end, we can have options to how slowmo can occur?

When multiplayer comes into play, Slowmo is not very good while it only works between 2 entities...
So the only good way to involve slowmo in something like multiplayer, is a sort of "replay" where you see how you died in slow motion. This allows the player to learn to avoid dying that way, and allows them to adapt to their foe's moves.

Now back on topic with throwing knives, they'd have to blur when flying in the air, since they are metal and all, and maybe work with lighting a little, so if the position is right, you can see the knife shining in the air before it hits something.

Throwing knives makes great assassination weapons in the dark, especially when there is little light for the knife to reflect.

The only thing I'm peeved with is the melee combat, since you technically don't have total control of your moves. But that kind of topic is for later.