Keyvan's Buildings

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
key2van

Keyvan's Buildings

Post by key2van » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Hey guys, I've been fiddling around with the map editor and created my building which is a weapons shop. This is the FIRST thing that I have built in OG's Map Editor, so go easy :D
Attachments
Robbert is shopping
Robbert is shopping
From the toolbox's point of view lol
From the toolbox's point of view lol
A Dog weapons rack consisting of long weapons, and at the top left a double bladed broad sword...
A Dog weapons rack consisting of long weapons, and at the top left a double bladed broad sword...
Dog knives planted in what i believe to be Rat skulls and a little brick basket (Dog Grave Base) holding a few more weapons...
Dog knives planted in what i believe to be Rat skulls and a little brick basket (Dog Grave Base) holding a few more weapons...
Robbert Seems a bit curious
Robbert Seems a bit curious

John

Re: Keyvan's Buildings

Post by John » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:04 pm

That looks awesome! Nice work Keyvan.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:28 am

Nice! We haven't had anyone making new stuff in a while. I'd like to offer some more critique, but it's hard to see detail since the light is a bit poor in the scene. You should double-click the sun and move it higher, so you can take better pictures.

Alternatively, you could put the building into a different level. You can save the selected objects as a custom XML object that can be added through the Load Object screen just like any other object. It's Shift+Control+S, IIRC.

key2van

Post by key2van » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Yea, i pulled the sun into the noon position but that's all the light that I could get.
I used the Forgotten Plains because i'm making a level in it, and I have saved all the objects and buildings as XML files. I'll be posting a pic showing the beginning of the level soon...

key2van

Post by key2van » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Ok, so here is a very small preview of the level that I am working on.
Attachments
Who is Omega?
Who is Omega?

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:38 pm

How was the letters created?
Also, that is an impressive work of art.

key2van

Post by key2van » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Hehe, thanks for the comment! :D
The letters took a lot of "Trial and error" with the textures to make.
When you look in the Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data\Textures\Environments\Rocks
you will see 2 types of textures for each object. Both being .dds files, you will need to download a plugin and install so that photoshop will be able to recognize them. here is the link for it
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/phot ... ugins.html
I would suggest downloading the legacy version.
The only downside to this is that it takes a while to save the .dds files, although the Wolfire team has a much better method.
Anyways, one texture looks like what the rock normally does, and one has a bunch of colours on it. I would suggest making your letters on the texture with all the colours, and with bright blending properties.
Also, I suggest that you create the object and textures as new ones, or else every object will have what's written on them.
If you have any other questions, be sure to let me know.
Attachments
This is the image for the same object, but i believe this is for it's reflections. I wrote the words on this texture because they wouldn't appear very well on the other one.
This is the image for the same object, but i believe this is for it's reflections. I wrote the words on this texture because they wouldn't appear very well on the other one.
The normal Blocky Stone texture. Notice how there aren't any letters written on it.
The normal Blocky Stone texture. Notice how there aren't any letters written on it.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Ohh, that's really clever. Thanks.

We'll be learning quite a bunch about texturing and stuff in the course we're taking right now, but if there's something I'm wondering about, then sure, I'll let you know. Image

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:26 am

The epitaph is slightly too grandiose for my tastes, especially with such an overused name. To be honest, I think it'd work better without the big "Omega's Valley" title; just the story carved into a stone, and the sword and the skull next to it. But that's just my opinion, feel free to ignore it.

key2van

Post by key2van » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:39 am

I was thinking of changing it to Shepherd's Valley, but then again I might just keep it.

key2van

Post by key2van » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:14 am

Freshbite wrote:Ohh, that's really clever. Thanks.

We'll be learning quite a bunch about texturing and stuff in the course we're taking right now, but if there's something I'm wondering about, then sure, I'll let you know. Image
I'm guessing that you're taking Video Game Design?

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Well, actually it is a program involving several courses.
The program is called "Computer Game Development: Programming" and the course that I was talking about is roughly translated to Computer Graphics.

key2van

Post by key2van » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:50 pm

I've always thought about going into video game developing, but then I realized that I sucked at programming lol...
I think I'm going to stick to making levels and stuff for Overgrowth 8)

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Well, the Computer Game Development alignment is split between 4 choises.

Design
Graphics/Sound, Graphics
Graphics/Sound, Sound
Programmering

Perhaps the Design or the Graphics/Sound, Graphics program would be of higher interest.

key2van

Post by key2van » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 am

I think it's too late for me to go into Video Game Design or Development, I'm aleady taking Kineseology next year :D