Weapon Sounds from Kitchen Utensils for Overgrowth

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Viking Zippy
Wooter

Weapon Sounds from Kitchen Utensils for Overgrowth

Post by Viking Zippy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Oldschool member here! Some of you that go back a year or more probably remember me, and I've been out of the loop for some time now. I do read the blog posts when it comes in via email, and Overgrowth's looking sweet and the boards look active as well! Way go to guys :)

A while back (a year ago to the day, actually!), I talked to Jeff about sounds for Overgrowth and offered to record some kitchen utensils that sound surprisingly weapon-like.

After recording them, I'd planned on properly naming and sorting all 212 of them, but life got busy and it never got done, but since sounds are starting to be put into Overgrowth, I've decided to upload them anyway, even with almost all of them essentially nameless, the extra silence at the beginning and end, and a background buzzing that I never got around to removing with Audacity. Hopefully more active members here can make some sense of them, since I'm really busy these days and can't make much time for videogames anymore.

Being kitchen utensils, many of them probably won't work well as actual weapon sounds, but there are also a number of thump sounds in there, and hopefully some can actually be put into the final Overgrowth :)

I'm glad to see that Wolfire's doing well and the alphas are looking great — keep up the good work! 8)

Download for Weapon Sounds from Kitchen Utensils for Overgrowth.

Untadaike

Re: Weapon Sounds from Kitchen Utensils for Overgrowth

Post by Untadaike » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Oh, I'll do it!!! (over-enthusiastic grinning complete with raised hand and wagging tail) Just one thing: how do you remove background noise with Audacity? I'm currently trying to learn the tricks but I can't seem to find out how to do that. Any tips?

Edit: Never mind, I think I found it. Noise removal?

Vrav

Post by Vrav » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:24 pm

Untadaike wrote:Oh, I'll do it!!! (over-enthusiastic grinning complete with raised hand and wagging tail) Just one thing: how do you remove background noise with Audacity? I'm currently trying to learn the tricks but I can't seem to find out how to do that. Any tips?

Edit: Never mind, I think I found it. Noise removal?
What you have to do is select the area with the noise, say a few seconds where there's just static only, and do Noise Removal > Generate Noise Profile... then when you do regular noise removal, it'll know what sort of noise to look for.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Woo, looks as though they might get some use! Thanks Untadaike 8)
Vrav wrote:What you have to do is select the area with the noise, say a few seconds where there's just static only, and do Noise Removal > Generate Noise Profile... then when you do regular noise removal, it'll know what sort of noise to look for.
Yep, that sounds like the technique I was going to use, thanks Vrav :)