Parkour Mod Suggestion

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
GreenFlame

Parkour Mod Suggestion

Post by GreenFlame » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:04 am

I thought that it could be really fun to have a mode, where the player is not to fight, but to make awesome parkour show. Like combat moves are replaced with parkour moves(to make more moves with easier controls), including QTE, right timing, and may be some risk(wall run over spiked pit or cool flips between flying arrows ,etc).
May be have it as just a small(but heavily developed, most possibly by fans) in game addition: a place where you can make parkour to gather 9999 gold for new mega sword, or an unlockable minigame.
May be as a multiplayer mod, where people gain scores for their moves, and may be points from observers =)
Anyway people play Tony Hawk series, would be cool to have real parkour game, Overgrowth's editor and the Phoenix Engine have great power to be unleashed =)

Should be it is too early to start this topic, but may be some animators could be inspired and gathered together to make the fun =)

I know that the thread idea is too simple/obvious and has visited fans' minds but i haven't found such thread(sorry if it exists). I'm not an animator or scripter, but if there is some good interest i(and other fans inspired by real animators'/scripters' work) could join too and this may went into a good mod. So, the game isn't out yet and it could be odd to talk about modding at this phase... but i've already wrote this text =)
Last edited by GreenFlame on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatBug

Re: Parkour Mod Suggestion

Post by TheGreatBug » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:55 am

That would be awesome! I hope they make it!

EDIT: It'd be even cooler if you had to use parkour to escape from armed enemies.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:38 pm

I would so play that. Like doing some crazy twists under (or over) a naginata swing, that was the first thing that came to mind. Maybe people are shooting arrows at you and you must avoid them in the most flashy manner possible, getting points for how close you came to the arrows yet still avoided them.

Then there could be one level where you're in a big ravine and then suddenly a massive avalanche starts, with great boulders tumbling down at you and you need to use all your reflexes to bound over them and dodge them to get to safety..

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:45 am

Untadaike wrote:I would so play that. Like doing some crazy twists under (or over) a naginata swing, that was the first thing that came to mind. Maybe people are shooting arrows at you and you must avoid them in the most flashy manner possible, getting points for how close you came to the arrows yet still avoided them.
The avalanche would be most versatile of these choices, and as long as the Phoenix physics can handle it, probably doable. The two choices here are a bit harder.

The naginata evasion doesn't work as a naginata evasion, because it's combat thing, not parkour thing. A surprise trap wouldn't be parkour either, and a visible "trap" (a blade swinging so you have to time your sprint past it just right) is a common platforming example that doesn't have quite the same oomph as avoiding a swinging weapon.

Avoiding arrows is even trickier, perhaps not to do, but to do so it's fun. Should the player learn the pattern the arrows are fired in? Then it's a pattern game. Can the player hide behind a wall, tree, rock or stump so that all the arrows that would hit him are stopped and all the arrows that miss only miss by little?

I thought parkour mod would go after a feeling like in Mirror's Edge.

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:47 pm

So, i thought arrows would be avoided with QTE, and yeah more parkour core =)

Even if the Phoenix Engine is ready for heavy modding(and i think it already is), should be it is still early to start such thread, many new features will be implemented :roll:
As i understand modding starts when people want to get new experience from a game and at the moment the game is in development, but this is Overgrowth - ultramoddable game and modding might be started on purpose to explore it's giant power(and have fun).
And there goes a question: is it good to make a mod for a game which is in development?
But from other hand we can gather ideas/animations/other material here, and may be really good stuff will be in the final game or/and modding work will have been started by the release=)

So, i feel sorry a bit, may be i shouldn't start this topic, but i did it, inspired by a moment from a video i accidentally found on YouTube, i thought it would be cool, and now understand i hurried too much.
But here is the video, hope you'll understand me(and i hope the moment impressed me will impress you too, but very possible that many people will not find anything good in the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqKMKSPl ... re=related

Is there the moment for you? =)

Radu

Post by Radu » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm

I can imagine the parkour levels already. Who needs Mirror's Edge?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:20 am

Radu wrote:I can imagine the parkour levels already. Who needs Mirror's Edge?
The people who will turn the images into actual levels. It's a kind of magic, really, and just as hard as you'd expect magic to be. If you don't get it just right, the magic just won't be there...

rebel28

Post by rebel28 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:28 am

GreenFlame wrote:cool flips between flying arrows
Flips ain't Parkour

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:00 pm

rebel28 wrote:
Flips ain't Parkour
Good point, but we can just take the basic inspiration of Parkour and make it our own. Whatever would be fun to play, lets put it in! We don't even have to call it Parkour when/if a mod is made.

Zer

Post by Zer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Being able to latch onto a ledge and climb up by pulling yourself up would be a good start to this... Just sayin' :)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:30 am

Zer wrote:Being able to latch onto a ledge and climb up by pulling yourself up would be a good start to this... Just sayin' :)
If the ledge is above the rabbit, you can do that by jumping and pressing right mouse button. It doesn't work for ledges that are too low - if you can easily jump over it you can't grab it.

wolfbrother9393

Post by wolfbrother9393 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:38 am

First mod ever:

Prince of Lugaru: The Robbert Within

It will be epic.

JustPaniic

Post by JustPaniic » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:01 am

rebel28 wrote:
Flips ain't Parkour
It's freerunning :D
So are gainers btwists corks and websters.

Poon-Duuh

Post by Poon-Duuh » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:33 am

Thought you guys might like this, please let me know what ya think im open to all suggestions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqpU-DJEjDg

Edit: also i like how my chest implodes at the end...

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Nice work! That is a very cool level.