Suggestion: Dodging

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
TheGreatBug

Suggestion: Dodging

Post by TheGreatBug » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:57 pm

I think it'd be nice if Overgrowth had a dodging system. They could be launched by Back+Attack, like Lugaru. Dodges could be context-sensitive, meaning they'd configure to the attack being launched by the enemy, but require perfect timing. Something similar to the animated reaction to the front kick where he falls back and touches the ground would be great for a spin-kick dodge, for example.

Nekros22

Re: Suggestion: Dodging

Post by Nekros22 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Interesting idea, but it seems overly complex. The reversal system in Lugaru was good because a.) if you were attacked, you could inflict damage and b.) if you were yourself reversed you could negate damage.

From what I've seen in the Alpha, you're going to be flying around like Jet Li in a bad kung-fu movie anyway. On top of that, the new jump kick will make pursuing enemies think twice.

I will concede, however, that having a "dodge fight" like they do in the Matrix would be pretty sweet.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:13 am

Nekros22 wrote:From what I've seen in the Alpha, you're going to be flying around like Jet Li in a bad kung-fu movie anyway. On top of that, the new jump kick will make pursuing enemies think twice.
Things haven't been set in stone yet. Things could change quite a lot...

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Nekros22 wrote:From what I've seen in the Alpha, you're going to be flying around like Jet Li in a bad kung-fu movie anyway. On top of that, the new jump kick will make pursuing enemies think twice.
Things haven't been set in stone yet. Things could change quite a lot...
I wasn't saying Overgrowth was going to be like a bad kung fu movie, Endo. I LIKE BAD KUNG FU MOVIES.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Nekros22 wrote:I wasn't saying Overgrowth was going to be like a bad kung fu movie, Endo. I LIKE BAD KUNG FU MOVIES.
I meant that the jump kick might be changed if it makes pursuing the player too risky, and the ragdoll flying might be changed if it makes the player lose too much control, or gives too much advantage to the first one to score a real hit in a fight. I LIKE BAD KUNG FU MOVIES TOO.

sriven

Post by sriven » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:13 pm

Why would you do that when you can just roll backwards?

brigadesoft

Post by brigadesoft » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:51 am

Nekros22 wrote:Interesting idea, but it seems overly complex. The reversal system in Lugaru was good because a.) if you were attacked, you could inflict damage and b.) if you were yourself reversed you could negate damage.

From what I've seen in the Alpha, you're going to be flying around like Jet Li in a bad kung-fu movie anyway. On top of that, the new jump kick will make pursuing enemies think twice.

I will concede, however, that having a "dodge fight" like they do in the Matrix would be pretty sweet.

His idea isn't overly complex... it was the dodging system in Lugaru. He wasn't even talking about reversals.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:33 am

It was not really a system, more like that one backstep thing. I liked it though, I don't care if they implement it in OG, as long as it doesn't effect the other mechanics.

Theryan

Post by Theryan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Dodging would be a great addition to Overgrowth. Wolfire have added the ability to block why not dodge. Dodging would be great to mix with blocking and mainly adding the matrix dodge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggFKLxAQBbc) would be great and very fun to do. This should be added to the game for realism and fun, mainly fun.

Sparrow15

Post by Sparrow15 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:24 pm

I would have agreed with you a week ago, but watching the fighting videos, rolling has become a lot more important than it was in Lugaru. A roll lets you recover from almost anything that would otherwise lay you flat, and you can roll backwards out of combat fairly easily. I might even say I prefer the roll to the back handspring, but then again, sometimes I mess up and start trying to crouch walk away from my enemies.

greader

Post by greader » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:32 pm

sriven wrote:Why would you do that when you can just roll backwards?
When I rolled away from more than one enemy in Lugaru, they tended to kick me in the spine... I would roll away from a punch and get killed by a kick. Dodging would be a great idea. If used in combination with the passive block and reversal, you could become UNSTOPABBLE! All would fall beneath the mighty DODGE HACK! Plus, I could side-step something like a leg cannon and laugh hysterically as they fall off a cliff. LOL! :lol:

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:56 pm

I posted a TLDR post a while back about the dangers of mapping an attack and a defensive move to the same button. I would heartily recommend moving away from this element of Lugaru's system.