Overgrowth on Linux status

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Johannes

Re: Overgrowth on linux

Post by Johannes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:50 am

tannim wrote:yes, white elephant. I fail to see how that is relevant at this time. I merely gave an option to play it while waiting for the linux port.
Nah I get it, and would tend to agree. As the definition states:

Code: Select all

A white elephant is an idiom for a valuable but burdensome possession of which its owner cannot dispose and whose cost (particularly cost of upkeep) is out of proportion to its usefulness or worth
In short, installing a developer build, while free may, for the average user, be more trouble than it's worth, since it will be buggy, as well as not yours forever, so once the time is up you'll have to put in more work or money to keep your computer fully operational (wooh that was a lot of commas, ah well it's 4 am, don't care =D ). I won't go into it much more than that but the same term came to my mind as well.

tannim

Post by tannim » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:56 am

This will be my last reply on it, but I installed it and it was no trouble at all, other than the new start menu, which sucks ;P If the guy uses linux, he's already a glutton for punishment in system upkeep, at least, that's my experience with linux on my laptop.

Frafra

Post by Frafra » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:44 am

Thank you, but as information technology engineering student I have free legal Windows dvds. The fact is that I strongly prefer Linux, and I use it, as my only operating system, since 2004.

Alastore Frost

Post by Alastore Frost » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:07 am

Frafra wrote:Thank you, but as information technology engineering student I have free legal Windows dvds. The fact is that I strongly prefer Linux, and I use it, as my only operating system, since 2004.
Let me hug you. Systems administrator, work both with windows and linux, prefer second since 2006.

And ty urkle for at least some info. It really helps.

urkle

Post by urkle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:57 am

Alastore Frost wrote:
Frafra wrote:Thank you, but as information technology engineering student I have free legal Windows dvds. The fact is that I strongly prefer Linux, and I use it, as my only operating system, since 2004.
Let me hug you. Systems administrator, work both with windows and linux, prefer second since 2006.
NOOBs :-D I've been using linux since 1997. Yes it took me about a year to "migrate" from windows 3.11 to linux, but never looked back :). And if you don't like the "constant upgrades", use CentOS, longer release cycles and a less bumpy ride.. Although you don't get all the "new stuff" as quickly. (Personally I use Fedora for my desktop and CentOS/RHEL for my servers, and I have a Mac pro as well.)

kotakotakota

Post by kotakotakota » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:45 pm

urkle wrote:
Alastore Frost wrote:
NOOBs :-D I've been using linux since 1997. Yes it took me about a year to "migrate" from windows 3.11 to linux, but never looked back :). And if you don't like the "constant upgrades", use CentOS, longer release cycles and a less bumpy ride.. Although you don't get all the "new stuff" as quickly. (Personally I use Fedora for my desktop and CentOS/RHEL for my servers, and I have a Mac pro as well.)
Ah, a well seasoned veteran! It's good to know that we're in good hands (although we already knew that since you're a legend). I'm still a novice to the Linux scene compared to you it seems: good old 2005 was the year I switched.

urkle

Post by urkle » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:22 pm

kotakotakota wrote: Ah, a well seasoned veteran! It's good to know that we're in good hands (although we already knew that since you're a legend). I'm still a novice to the Linux scene compared to you it seems: good old 2005 was the year I switched.
I'm a legend?? Wow! When did that happen?

Windlord

Post by Windlord » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:12 am

Booted to Windows and tried OG for the first time!
Though my hardware isn't too comfortable with the game,
and levels are rather small I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Now that I'm back on Linux though (I lasted 6 hours),
I keep on getting the urge to reboot for more OG!

Help me stay on the light side, Legend Rudd! :P

SmashOgre

Post by SmashOgre » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 am

urkle wrote:I'm a legend?? Wow! When did that happen?
When you started work on bringing us Overgrowth. :wink:
Windlord wrote:Now that I'm back on Linux though (I lasted 6 hours),
I keep on getting the urge to reboot for more OG!

Help me stay on the light side, Legend Rudd! :P
This to me is like asking us to remind you not to punch yourself in the crotch. Just don't do it. :? You ought to just know better, but if you don't, then feel free to pound away if you want to.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:46 am

If the software I need worked on Linux, I'd totally use only Linux. The things that force me to use Windows are things like Skyrim, Overgrowth, Natural Selection 2 and XSplit.

Recently Gimp on Linux acted like it saved my work several times while apparently not actually saving it for several hours... Am still angry. That has caused me to use Gimp in Windows as well lately.

kotakotakota

Post by kotakotakota » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Silverfish wrote:If the software I need worked on Linux, I'd totally use only Linux. The things that force me to use Windows are things like Skyrim, Overgrowth, Natural Selection 2 and XSplit.

Recently Gimp on Linux acted like it saved my work several times while apparently not actually saving it for several hours... Am still angry. That has caused me to use Gimp in Windows as well lately.
For me, it's only school that forces me to use Windows every once in a while. Some of the classes require certain pieces of software that only work under Windows or else work significantly better under Windows.

Edward, if you could port Solidworks over to Linux, we would all love you forever.... :P (not that we don't already)

Alastore Frost

Post by Alastore Frost » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:14 am

kotakotakota wrote: Edward, if you could port Solidworks over to Linux, we would all love you forever.... :P (not that we don't already)
I think that's the thing you should demand of SW devs. If you paid for it ofc =)

kotakotakota

Post by kotakotakota » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Alastore Frost wrote:
kotakotakota wrote: Edward, if you could port Solidworks over to Linux, we would all love you forever.... :P (not that we don't already)
I think that's the thing you should demand of SW devs. If you paid for it ofc =)
They tend to be very much against Linux it seems... I've already tried a couple of times to no avail. Perhaps I should start a petition. Even just at my school, I'm sure I can get a fair number of people to "sign" (that is, request digitally).

urkle

Post by urkle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 pm

kotakotakota wrote:
Alastore Frost wrote:
They tend to be very much against Linux it seems... I've already tried a couple of times to no avail. Perhaps I should start a petition. Even just at my school, I'm sure I can get a fair number of people to "sign" (that is, request digitally).
Eh. just get a copy of Maya :-D that'll work on linux:-D

kotakotakota

Post by kotakotakota » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:10 pm

urkle wrote:
kotakotakota wrote:
Alastore Frost wrote:
Eh. just get a copy of Maya :-D that'll work on linux:-D
Maya is not for CAD, it's for 3DCG. Besides, I use Blender for that :P