Overgrowth on Linux status

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Ideka

Re: Overgrowth on Linux status

Post by Ideka » Wed May 09, 2012 3:30 pm

kotakotakota wrote:.... I can't install it!! :(

Arch Linux 64 bit, with Multilib.
Lua version 5.1.5

For those of you who don't want to look at the image, the error message is as follows:
Error: Lua error detected: deps.lua:528: attempt to compare string with nil

and occurred when extracting overgrowth.bin.x86_64

EDIT:
Also, I don't think the problem pertains to my hardware in any way, but I run an i7-860, 4 Gb RAM, and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 260.
Had the same problem. Was able to work around it by doing the following.
First start the installer, and wait for it to extract stuff and all that. When the GUI appears, copy the extracted folder (in my case it was /tmp/selfgz3028323142, the numbers are probably random) to your home directory or somewhere safe. After that close the installer. Open deps.lua in a text editor and make the following change:

Code: Select all

--- ../old/deps.lua	2012-05-09 17:00:22.433537534 -0300
+++ deps.lua	2012-05-09 17:09:02.276870265 -0300
@@ -525,6 +525,10 @@
         for _, l in ipairs(others) do
             local otherver = splitlibversion(l)
             for i, v in ipairs(version) do
+                if v == nil or otherver[i] == nil then
+                    v = ""
+                    otherver[i] = ""
+                end
                 if v < otherver[i] then
                     newer = l
                 elseif v > otherver[i] then
Then open startupinstaller.sh and change this:

--- ../old/startupinstaller.sh	2012-05-09 17:05:03.636870540 -0300
+++ startupinstaller.sh	2012-05-09 17:07:12.293537059 -0300
@@ -86,9 +86,11 @@
     EXTR_FAILED=""
     printf "Uncompressing sub archive"
     if [ $ARCH_TYPE = "gzip" ]; then
-        cat subarch | gzip -cd | (tar xvf - 2>&1 || EXTR_FAILED="1") | progress
+        echo
+        #cat subarch | gzip -cd | (tar xvf - 2>&1 || EXTR_FAILED="1") | progress
     elif [ $ARCH_TYPE = "bzip2" ]; then
-        cat subarch | bzip2 -d | (tar xvf - 2>&1 || EXTR_FAILED="1") | progress
+        echo
+        #cat subarch | bzip2 -d | (tar xvf - 2>&1 || EXTR_FAILED="1") | progress
     else # lzma
         checksys

@@ -121,7 +123,7 @@
             exit 1
         fi

-        $LZMA_DECODE d subarch - 2>/dev/null | (tar xvf - 2>&1 || EXTR_FAILED="1") | progress
+        #$LZMA_DECODE d subarch - 2>/dev/null | (tar xvf - 2>&1 || EXTR_FAILED="1") | progress
     fi

echo
Then run startupinstaller.sh. It should work now.
Keep in mind that this is just a workaround and an ugly hack.

Anyway, I could install game (using the mentioned workaround), but I suffer the same problem as Windlord.
Also this warning keeps appearing in the console:

libpng warning: Application built with libpng-1.2.49 but running with 1.5.9
Could that be important?

Cheers!

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed May 09, 2012 3:45 pm

urkle wrote:
[+] snip
Silverfish wrote:I have these two videos of the bugs that I've encountered.

First is the character LOD bug that has already been discovered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9a83DRtupo
I have a GTX470 graphics card if that's relevant for this bug.
You are far better at fighting than I :-D
Silverfish wrote: And then there's this weird crash that occurs when I load a custom level, the crash affects my web browser as well, which is really weird:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erawuOPcRAw

EDIT:
I'll also add that in Ubuntu (and perhaps other distros) you use alt-clicking to do various window actions, like alt + left click moves a window, alt + right click brings up the window menu, alt + middle click re-sizes windows. So some editor tools are unavailable unless you manually change that behavior in Ubuntu.
The crash is quite odd.. My guess is it's flash :-D. As for the "alt left click" that is a common configuration for nearly every window manager on the planet for linux/unix. I already noted that myself and am thinking of how to solve it. In fullscreen mode it shouldn't be an issue.
I guess that was a joke, but just to be safe, it happens even when flash isn't active. :)

urkle

Post by urkle » Wed May 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Silverfish wrote: I guess that was a joke, but just to be safe, it happens even when flash isn't active. :)
Yeah it was :-D.. My only other guess is it has something to do with the fact that awesomium is being used (which itself has chromium built-in). Which itself makes less sense than flash breaking:)

urkle

Post by urkle » Wed May 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Ideka, Thanks for the installer bug tracking.. I'll pull those changes in and fix things. Another easier workaround to re-running the installer after editing the deps.lua is to simply run the front-end directly via

./bin/linux/x86/libc.so.6/gtk
I'll adjust the dependency handling to pre-include libpng and libjpeg.

I'm working on modifying the installer codebase to not require so much temp space. I'm already in discussions w/ the original developers and have a decisive direction to attach and fix once and for all.

(Yeah I'm reading every post guys. and extracting out todo lists).

OH, I do have a question for you all.. In my original video I posted many of you commented about how badly I played (I've gotten better). And also noted the framerate drop/lag. The lag on my seems seems to ONLY occur when the ragdoll physics kicks in. So could you all test (holding the Z key or the N key) and see how that affects things on your systems?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed May 09, 2012 4:18 pm

urkle wrote: OH, I do have a question for you all.. In my original video I posted many of you commented about how badly I played (I've gotten better). And also noted the framerate drop/lag. The lag on my seems seems to ONLY occur when the ragdoll physics kicks in. So could you all test (holding the Z key or the N key) and see how that affects things on your systems?
While of-course that could be due to a bug with the port, there are well-known issues on windows and mac with the ragdoll physics triggering lag on all but the most powerful machines, so that could just be inherent in the game right now.

Ancurio

Post by Ancurio » Wed May 09, 2012 4:28 pm

urkle wrote: OH, I do have a question for you all.. In my original video I posted many of you commented about how badly I played (I've gotten better). And also noted the framerate drop/lag. The lag on my seems seems to ONLY occur when the ragdoll physics kicks in. So could you all test (holding the Z key or the N key) and see how that affects things on your systems?
Yep, fps drop from about 24 to like 8

urkle

Post by urkle » Wed May 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Windlord wrote:
Windlord wrote:I get error dialogues such as:

Error(s) in Data/GLSL/secondterrain.frag
0:35(55): error: Arrays cannot be out or inout parameters in GLSL 1.10

Error(s) linking Data/GLSL/secondterrain.vert and Data/GLSL/secondterrain.frag
error: linking with uncompiled shader
and so on... and after clicking on 'Ok' for a while, I'm loaded into this:
urkle, is this issue due to strict checking in Gallium3D?
Should I be enquiring upstream?
Check the GLSL and see if I has a

#version 120
at the beginning, if not add it and see if it fixes the issue..

urkle

Post by urkle » Wed May 09, 2012 4:31 pm

WOOHOO. crazy activity in the thread now. We may have gotten to the point where we need to start actually new threads :)

I wish the forum software had tags for threads. It'd make it easier for me to just monitor threads tagged with Linux :D

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Could do a [linux] at the start of all linux-specific threads names. :)

kotakotakota

Post by kotakotakota » Wed May 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Ok, so everything installed with Ideka's patch. A couple interesting things: The framerate drops to an unplayable degree at the Desert Outpost. I also have the strange mesh stretching bug. When I return to the main menu from the level editor, the floating editing toolbar remains on screen. I tried hitting 'n' as you (urkle) mentioned, and the lag became very severe. It seems your theory of ragdolls is consistent, at least for my setup.

My hardware consists of an i7-860, 4 Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX 260 and is all on an Arch Linux 64 system.
urkle wrote:I wish the forum software had tags for threads. It'd make it easier for me to just monitor threads tagged with Linux :D
Perhaps subforums for the three platforms?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed May 09, 2012 5:04 pm

kotakotakota wrote:When I return to the main menu from the level editor, the floating editing toolbar remains on screen.
This happens on the Mac version as well, so definitely not specific to the Linux version.
kotakotakota wrote:
urkle wrote:I wish the forum software had tags for threads. It'd make it easier for me to just monitor threads tagged with Linux :D
Perhaps subforums for the three platforms?
I'm personally against too many sub-forums as it is... I think sub-forums by platform would be divisive, especially since most of the time the game does not have OS specific idiosyncrasies...

xolotl

Post by xolotl » Wed May 09, 2012 6:30 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the Linux build - I'm thrilled to be able to actually try some of this stuff now. Installer worked fine on my system and the game seems mostly functional (though I too have experienced the known graphical glitch thing, and occasional FPS drops when going into ragdoll, etc). Fedora 15 x86_64, nVidia GTS 250 (binary drivers), Core2 Duo 3GHz. Thanks again! Looking forward to future builds.

Windlord

Post by Windlord » Wed May 09, 2012 10:22 pm

urkle wrote:Check the GLSL and see if I has a

#version 120
at the beginning, if not add it and see if it fixes the issue..
On adding the string using

for f in *.vert *.frag; do; if [ -f $f ]; then echo "#version 120\n\n$(cat $f)" > $f; fi; done
and loading Red Shards I get the error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::wave::preprocess_exception'
  what():  boost::wave::preprocess_exception
Aborted (core dumped)
I also tried walking through the errors and editing the files one by one. The loading proceeds until dirtpuff.frag where it crashes with #version 120\n.

(Though I suspect it's on your TODO list,) I also report an inability to use ALT-TAB or similar in game mode.

Edit: Applying edited files in attached archive and passing the dirtpuff.frag errors with Ok lets one load into Red Shards.

Edit2: Latest 'fix' is working for Painted Desert, Eroded Plateau, Dead Volcano, Red Desert, Patchy Highlands (with Anton's fix), Desert Outpost, Abandoned Grove, Forgotten Plains.

Edit3: Loading Impressive Mountains works but editing splat.frag causes crashing, preventing weapons combat.
Attachments
GLSLversion120_fix.tar.gz
(6.4 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Kame

Post by Kame » Thu May 10, 2012 12:50 am

Firstly: Thank you. Amazing.

Secondly: I lag on rag doll depending on the map, red shards seems to rag doll fine but painted desert does lag, but then I believe I lagged on every map when hitting z in the wine version, so it's an improvement!

Thirdly: I got a segfault! I don't REMEMBER it from my time using the wine version but I may just not have noticed it: Simply jump into the air, ragdoll out with z, and then hit shift. Segfault.

capstone

Post by capstone » Thu May 10, 2012 5:58 am

I finally got VSync to apply by using nvidia-settings to apply vsync to the entire card (regardless of the setting in the config.txt). This had no effect on the smoothness of drawing and large dips of framerate were noticed game-wide.
  • - desert outpost
    - grass beach
    - forest hills
    - patchy highlands
the first two exhibited full frames in editor mode.

- eric.