Overgrowth on Linux status

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Midget_Cat

Overgrowth on Linux status

Post by Midget_Cat » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:14 pm

EDIT: The below now is only left for historic purposes, useful only to Linux users that perhaps wish to see how the game has progressed for themselves. There is a Linux version in existence and fiddling with Wine is no longer necessary. Remember to give thanks to all involved in development!

The Linux TEST build of Alpha 179 can be downloaded here: http://www.wolfire.com/spf-download/a17 ... =highwinds Be wary of bugs.

------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to make it easier to find information on running overgrowth on linux. Any information you may have on either running overgrowth smoother or getting around various problems when running Overgrowth on linux (under wine, for now) should probably go here as to be easy to find.

Here are some instructions to get it to launch in the first place:

1. Obviously, you must install wine. You should find it in your package manager, or you can download it from http://www.winehq.org/ .

2. Then, you need the visual C++ 2005 libraries. You can get these through winetricks. To install winetricks, run the following commands in your terminal, without the quotes:
"wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks" to download the script and
"chmod +x winetricks" to make it executable.

3. Then run "sh winetricks" again without the quote. A window should appear. Scroll down until you reach a package called "vcrun2005", tick the box next to it and click "OK".

4. Next, run the Overgrowth alpha .exe . It should then run. In the event that it doesn't let you execute, make it executable with the following, without the quotes: "cd /where/the/file/is" then "chmod +x Name_of_alpha.exe"

5. When installing, it's probably best to let it install to the default directory.

6. Go to your blank C:\ drive. If you are running the gnome desktop, you can find it by clicking Applications -> Wine -> Browse C: drive.

7. Place a blank .txt file in the "Data" directory called "hwreport.txt". The data directory can be found in /Program Files/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data .

8. it should then launch, but it won't be perfect. Any bugs are likely wine bugs so they shouldn't be reported to Wolfire unless you know they happen on windows as well. Enjoy!

If you have trouble with this, please say so. Thank you!

EDIT: There is a GUI launcher for Winetricks now. It should be under "wine" in applications in Ubuntu with gnome 2. It can be installed through synaptic after adding the beta repo, if I can remember correctly.

EDIT: A number of people are reporting success running a129 under wine beta 1.3.19 using the "hwreport.txt" work around. After trying this under Arch 32 bit, I didn't have any luck. I haven't tried since.

EDIT: As most of you will be aware, Linux support is closer to reality than ever, so it may be a worthwhile choice to wait it out. For those of you who want to try with Wine in the mean time, davidc has had success running a133 by placing a blank file named "hwreport.txt" in the Overgrowth/Data directory.

EDIT: The user Windlord has reported success in running alpha 172 under Wine. The empty "hwreport.txt" file was not required, but the vcrun2005 library is still of course required. This was under Wine 1.4 with Kubuntu 11.10 and an ATi graphics card. The user Marcus also reports success using an nVidia graphics card. Development for the native Linux version is still underway.
Last edited by Midget_Cat on Wed May 23, 2012 12:39 am, edited 7 times in total.

Madd the Sane

Re: Overgrowth on linux

Post by Madd the Sane » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:25 am

A native Linux version is planned. Just waiting on Awesomium, if I remember correctly.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:50 am

Madd the Sane wrote:A native Linux version is planned. Just waiting on Awesomium, if I remember correctly.
I had the thought that they were trying to use Berkelium instead of Awesomium, because it's already crossplatform.

Midget_Cat

Post by Midget_Cat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:17 pm

Madd the Sane wrote:A native Linux version is planned. Just waiting on Awesomium, if I remember correctly.
This thread is just to make it easier for those who want this information to find it. Or if anyone with more experience with wine than me has a better method, it would make it easier for that method to get noticed by people who would need it. It would be my hope that once a linux version is released, this could still be a place for people to find solutions to problems they may encounter. It would be a nice change from searching multiple websites for solutions!

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:51 am

I've added a WineHQ entry for Overgrowth alphas:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=11629

Midget_Cat

Post by Midget_Cat » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Marcus wrote:I've added a WineHQ entry for Overgrowth alphas:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=11629
Excellent! That could help a lot until a linux build arrives.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Nice one Midget Cat :) I'll give it a try next alpha, if my connection holds out (okay, so that's a bit of a long-shot)...

Midget_Cat

Post by Midget_Cat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Wilbefast wrote:Nice one Midget Cat :) I'll give it a try next alpha, if my connection holds out (okay, so that's a bit of a long-shot)...
I'm glad this is helping people! Thanks to Jeff for sticking this and making it easier to find. Oh, I just got the wine 1.3.8 beta yesterday and I appear to be getting slightly better frame-rates and don't appear to need the blank "hwreport.txt" file. Just thought it may me noteworthy. I think if I can manage to download these alphas on my horrid connection, you should too. Granted, it's usually an over-night download for me. Hoping to here something on a linux build in the not-too-distant future! :)

Frafra

Post by Frafra » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi,
I've just try Overgowth on Fedora 14 x86 (Wine 1.3.8) and RedHat 6 x64 (Wine 1.2.2), and it didn't work, even if I've applied the winetrick "patch". Please, try to release as soon as possible a Linux version... :|

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:47 pm

Which alpha did you use? 107 worked for me under Wine. 108 hasn't.

Frafra

Post by Frafra » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:13 pm

108 and 109. I'll try 107, thanks ;)

Edit: no, it didn't work :(

Midget_Cat

Post by Midget_Cat » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Frafra wrote:108 and 109. I'll try 107, thanks ;)

Edit: no, it didn't work :(
Have you tried the latest wine beta? It improved performance for me, it may enable you to play the alpha. But remember, it is the wine beta, so it may not be as stable. you can get the source here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wine ... .9.tar.bz2
Or you can find packages for various distributions here: http://www.winehq.org/download
I hope that helps.

Frafra

Post by Frafra » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:21 am

Thanks for your help. Maybe my problem could be that on both computers I've Intel x4500hd gpu.

Midget_Cat

Post by Midget_Cat » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Frafra wrote:Thanks for your help. Maybe my problem could be that on both computers I've Intel x4500hd gpu.
That could be it. From what I've read, it doesn't work on some GPUs. You could keep trying, perhaps fiddling with the config file in the overgrowth "Data" directory may help. Or changing which windows system wine is set to may help. You did download the visual c++ 2005 libraries through winetricks, didn't you?

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:22 am

As for Alpha 108 and 109, I think the Awesomium DLL is causing the Awesomium app to crash.