Project Showoff

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: Project Showoff

Post by Anton » Tue May 10, 2011 2:27 pm

mycathasrabies wrote: I would honestly love doing this but currently the game just doesn't run well with lots of objects, most levels I load I have to delete EVERYTHING in just to be playable(10-30fps)...

Although with the recent update I want to make a parkour level, with a hidden sword you can find, and then at the end you fight tons of wolves(pretty much impossible unless you find the sword).

Good idea? Bad idea?

Also the editor is really lacking in objects so all my levels look the same unless I copy n paste objects that were already in the level...which leads me to this question...why do levels have objects in them that you can't even spawn? If I wanted to make a map like red shards I literally have to copy n paste things because I can't spawn any of those items.
You can click on the little folder from the object spawner to load in other objects. By default it will be in the objects folder, and then you can navigate to the appropriate objects you want to load.

last

Post by last » Tue May 10, 2011 5:00 pm

So i made new blood mod for this weeks alfa. it uses my own particle xml files so that cutting throat particles don't change.
In hand to hand combat blood should only occur when you get a critical hit.
Sword now has blood particle which will make splatters to the ground.
(Ok my mod is'nt that bloody jet)
(Ok my mod is'nt that bloody jet)
Blood mod a130.rar
(42.11 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

mycathasrabies

Post by mycathasrabies » Tue May 10, 2011 9:48 pm

ariehl wrote:
mycathasrabies wrote: I would honestly love doing this but currently the game just doesn't run well with lots of objects, most levels I load I have to delete EVERYTHING in just to be playable(10-30fps)...

Although with the recent update I want to make a parkour level, with a hidden sword you can find, and then at the end you fight tons of wolves(pretty much impossible unless you find the sword).

Good idea? Bad idea?

Also the editor is really lacking in objects so all my levels look the same unless I copy n paste objects that were already in the level...which leads me to this question...why do levels have objects in them that you can't even spawn? If I wanted to make a map like red shards I literally have to copy n paste things because I can't spawn any of those items.
You can click on the little folder from the object spawner to load in other objects. By default it will be in the objects folder, and then you can navigate to the appropriate objects you want to load.

oooh thanks :D

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Wed May 11, 2011 2:48 pm

ariehl wrote:

Good idea? Bad idea?

This is true, though I wish the devs would add in all the objects they've used for their levels. Many of the objects used in the Eroded Plateau level are not in the object loader, and tediously searching through the sea of folders is impractical. And I know there's a way to add in the objects yourself, but it seems as though the devs could add them in very quickly, seeing as they already likely know where everything is.

Pete Hawk

Post by Pete Hawk » Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm

last wrote:To Pete Hawk
So what else should be difference between your map and OG original map? U mentioned the shadows allready. Did u add objects or enemies also?
Ye I added quite a bit of stuff. Here's a video of what its like a few weeks back.

Its just when I moved the 16_red_desert.xml out of Project60 and into Levels, it only seemed to to have the shadows saved. Everything else was back to it original map.
I've been thinking. Would it be possible to group everything, save it as an object then past it into a new map in the Levels?

Pete Hawk

Post by Pete Hawk » Wed May 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Rovert wrote: This is true, though I wish the devs would add in all the objects they've used for their levels. Many of the objects used in the Eroded Plateau level are not in the object loader, and tediously searching through the sea of folders is impractical. And I know there's a way to add in the objects yourself, but it seems as though the devs could add them in very quickly, seeing as they already likely know where everything is.
Yep, I agree. Would be nice to have all objects in the object folder and even sort them: Surfaces, Weapons, Items, Foliage, etc.

Saedz

Post by Saedz » Thu May 12, 2011 5:26 pm

small level for the first timers. i will make it bigger someday.

last

Post by last » Fri May 13, 2011 4:38 am

i am makeing my 2. mod to OG. its half done and i wanted to show off some progress of mine.
my mod have few bugs like when i kill enemy the enemy himself don't let go of the weapon so i made special key fot that. also enemy must run ower weapon to grab it and they dont know how to search weapons (dont know how to make path finding for it now). also if to enemyes are to close to eachother and atleast one of them has weapon the one without weapon will get also that same weapon. so they share that same weapon. but afte all that its almost playable.
made video also

also including my half done mod files. just press y to get weapon out of the enemys hands
weapons mod (half done).rar
(22.75 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Saedz

Post by Saedz » Fri May 13, 2011 10:30 am

had to recreate the whole level because of one saving bug and now it's fully done.
have fun.

FIX: i edited the map a little so you can't cheat in few parts, also a hidden weapon is added
Attachments
sedrush.xml
(141.19 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Last edited by Saedz on Sat May 14, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Fri May 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Alright! It's time for my Map-Of-The-Week!
(Download at bottom of post)
Balance
Super sexy banner GO!
Super sexy banner GO!
Balance is my attempt to make a new kind of visual style in OG. It's two main colors are (obviously) a contrasting black and white. My original idea was to make a map that was sort of Portal-esque in design and nature, though after I discovered the amazing color picker and it's OverBrigthness slider, well, the perfect white setting was born. I made all the wall and ceiling blocks the same shade of white/black to give the player a sort of "infinite" feeling as they look around. Rooms are outlined with black/white lines to designate what the room limits are, however, because otherwise, it'd be a bit difficult to find your way around. I even had to go so far as to make a custom object just for the map. The crete blocks weren't plain enough, so i had to create a new .obj file, texture it, and remove its shadows to keep it a perfect, bright white. The majority of the map is made up of that one block.

FEATURES
-Contrasting black & white color scheme
-Multiple rooms
-Plenty of platforming, and a maze and puzzle room to boot
-This map was made to be relatively difficult. The reason I made all the platforms the same color was so they would blend together and make it difficult to differentiate between them.

PICTARZ!
OvergrowthScreenshot00003.jpg
OvergrowthScreenshot00002.jpg
OvergrowthScreenshot00001.jpg
(Sorry, the zip file was only JUST too big so I had to upload through an outside site)

http://antonriehl.com/overgrowth/public/Balance.zip Updated Balance files! Thanks ariehl!

PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH INSTALLING AND/OR GETTING THE MAP TO WORK!
Last edited by Rovert on Sat May 14, 2011 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri May 13, 2011 8:53 pm

I haven't had a chance yet to check out your level Rovert, and I'll update this post when I do... but I wanted you to have a better download link than the one you have right now... so you can now grab your level here. http://antonriehl.com/overgrowth/public/Balance.zip

The level won't load for me :( It keeps crashing the game while loading in Groups... Unfortunately, I can't immediately tell what is causing the crash.

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Fri May 13, 2011 9:35 pm

ariehl wrote:I haven't had a chance yet to check out your level Rovert, and I'll update this post when I do... but I wanted you to have a better download link than the one you have right now... so you can now grab your level here. http://antonriehl.com/overgrowth/public/Balance.zip

The level won't load for me :( It keeps crashing the game while loading in Groups... Unfortunately, I can't immediately tell what is causing the crash.
Argh D: I know I included the extra block and required details. I haven't had a crash at groups, before...

Maybe you could take a look at the files I packed. Maybe I'm missing something or have a wrong name somewhere... Though that shouldn't be seeing as the blocks and decals work fine on my end.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat May 14, 2011 1:39 am

Rovert wrote:
ariehl wrote:I haven't had a chance yet to check out your level Rovert, and I'll update this post when I do... but I wanted you to have a better download link than the one you have right now... so you can now grab your level here. http://antonriehl.com/overgrowth/public/Balance.zip

Argh D: I know I included the extra block and required details. I haven't had a crash at groups, before...

Maybe you could take a look at the files I packed. Maybe I'm missing something or have a wrong name somewhere... Though that shouldn't be seeing as the blocks and decals work fine on my end.

Ok, I figured out how to make it work on my computer. When I copied cubemapnoshadow.frag and cubemapnoshadow.vert into the folder Data/GLSL it worked just fine. It seems like this would be a lot better, of course, if you could only use the custom folder...

And now I have to nurse a the headache that was caused from playing your possibly too awesome for me level.

Actually, I really enjoyed the challenges themselves... some of the platforming would be difficult enough for me without the stark, hard to determine edges. The concept of the whole level is very cool, but something about running around in the white levels made me feel very claustrophobic...

Nice job though! It felt very well designed, and has a very unique feel to it.

last

Post by last » Sat May 14, 2011 2:04 am

please ariehl make changes to that zip file to so that if someone downloads this map it will work without that cubemap problem.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat May 14, 2011 2:17 am

last wrote:please ariehl make changes to that zip file to so that if someone downloads this map it will work without that cubemap problem.
Done... but it only works with the .zip from my website. If you don't have a GLSL folder when you download the .zip file, you will need to move those files manually.