How did you find out about Overgrowth?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Heavy420

Re: How did you find about Overgrowth?

Post by Heavy420 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:45 am

I found out about Lugaru from Apple's first attempt at a computer appstore. I downloaded the demo and instantly got hooked. I started looking more into Wolfire, and eventually found your site and found out about overgrowth. I did more research and eventually found your youtube channel, and again, got hooked on overgrowth.

SamW

Post by SamW » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:52 am

I purchased it as a part of the organic indie pack. I was an NS fan, and was somewhat interested in NS2, then this pack came along and I heard about it from the natural selection site. So a visit to your blog and a night browsing through your blog posts and It dawned on me that you guys are awesome. Oh yeah and I'm cheap, but combined with your awesomeness, and basically getting NS2 special edition for free, I was convinced to get the pre-oder bundle.

MeTheFlea

Post by MeTheFlea » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:06 am

I had played Lugaru years ago, and was excited about the idea of Lugaru 2 so I looked it up to find your site which I had kept an eye on occasionally but later forgot about.

Eventually I found development videos of Lugaru 2 (and now Overgrowth) and with Lugaru going on sale in the first Humble Indie Bundle, and the frequency of development videos being posted I couldn't handle it anymore and I managed to get it for my birthday this year :)

AnonySolid

Post by AnonySolid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:58 am

Heard about it on 4chan's video games board, watched a few videos and preordered it. Seems like a pretty good game.

Cadrega

Post by Cadrega » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 am

Well, I found out about Lugaru ages ago. I don't really remember where, but I read about this game somewhere, downloaded the trial version, liked it and bought it.
So I kept following the development of Lugaru 2 first and then Overgrowth. However I pre-ordered only when Alpha 100 came out, what with 100 being a nice round number, and me having being paid a few days prior. :lol:

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 am

I played a demo of lugaru something like 6 years ago on an old macformat cd. 3 years later I thought of it and made a google search, sure enough, I found the game, and later when overgrowth started doing alpha's I decided to preorder it.

Xhale

Post by Xhale » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:33 am

I was surfing on You tube and found the Blood effect and then learned about Lugaru and OG.. As an added bonus i bought HIB2 and got HIB1 as well..

Roujin

Post by Roujin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:50 pm

I first found your blog because of HIB1 (which I bought). I think the blog post that led me here was the one about the HIB and piracy. I then glanced over some other posts in your blog and found them to be very interesting. As I am a computer science student, both the more technical posts and your open development philosophy intrigued me. I regularily read your blog, but did not just preorder yet.
Some time later, some weekly update made me think "okay this looks awesome, I gotta try this myself" and I preordered :lol: I don't know exactly anymore which one, but my register date (end of August '10) should give a good hint at that.

WeaselOfDeath

Post by WeaselOfDeath » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:56 pm

I found out about Overgrowth from a the troll forum of 4chan.

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Silverfish has been going on about the game for as long as i can remember. I guess that voice followed along with me and when i started being interested in how the game was made (scripting/modding capabilities) i decided to pay for it.

Fireproofjeans

Post by Fireproofjeans » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:55 am

My friend, Pixel, told me about it. After about three minutes of watching trailers I bought it.

Hey, last indie game I bought was minecraft, and I haven't put that one down yet!

capn.lee

Post by capn.lee » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:51 am

I was linked to your blog by 2DBoy when you posted your design tour of world of goo, from there I preordered overgrowth to get at the alpha but didn't realise all it had was the meshes :)

EccentricDuck

Post by EccentricDuck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:21 am

After going to PAX and seeing Jeff and John talk about the first Humble Indie Bundle, I looked up Wolfire and checked out some of the posts on the website. I remember really liking the stuff I came across.

I got busy though and it was some time before I came back. I think it was when my friend reminded me of the Humble Indie Bundle 2 that I came back and checked out more articles, found the videos, and saw Overgrowth. I was absolutely amazed at how beautiful the game looks, and I came to be incredibly interested in potentially modding the game. I followed the next few videos religiously, then decided to buy the game (yesterday).

Now I just want to figure out how to properly load scripts and play around with a few ideas I've got floating around in my head. I love all the procedural (yet still stylized/real-seeming) content.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 am

EccentricDuck wrote:Now I just want to figure out how to properly load scripts and play around with a few ideas I've got floating around in my head.
If you want to change how the characters act, that's pretty simple. Basic particle actions are also possible. Items are pretty hard to affect as of yet, but the objects you can pick up (=weapons) can be affected. You can't affect the pos or rot of a given object yet (since there's no way to know which object should be affected or name or tag objects, AFAIK), so some surpisingly simple stuff is still out of the modders' reach.

Ninja Dodo

Post by Ninja Dodo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:13 am

I was vaguely aware of Lugaru, but your open development on Overgrowth is what really caught my eye. Been following the alpha videos and blog posts for a while now. It's great to watch a game come together like this and I'm impressed with the care and attention to detail going into it.

I wanted to support the project and figured now was as a good a time to pre-order as any.