How did you find out about Overgrowth?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Xorath

Re: How did you find about Overgrowth?

Post by Xorath » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 pm

I heard about Overgrowth through a friend. So, word of mouth.

Now, this was recently, so the game is looking slightly more polished than it has in previous versions, so that played a large role in placing my pre-order. That played a small role, but what I want to point out and commend you guys on are things that every game developer should do.

-Attention to Detail: This team, David in particular, is very picky, and pays attention to every detail. The physics are incredible, I can tell how hard you guys are trying from week to week. The ragdoll physics are among the best I've seen, and are hilarious to watch (as they should be). One of the things that really stands out in my mind is on the tundra level, you put in sound effects for the ice crackling as it heats up in the sun. Have you ever seen another game with that much attention paid to the small things?

-Community Involvement: I can post on these forums and, after pre-ordering, give feedback on the changes you guys are making. There's no mainstream game developer that does this, so to me, this is a unique experience. I absolutely LOVE that the Wolfire team is paying attention to their growing fan base and supporters, and letting us have input before the game even makes Beta. This is one of the main reasons I'm supporting the team.

-Encouragement to Pre-Order: Come on, we get to toy around with the alpha... we get access to modding/editing tools, a secret board, and even a nifty little board tag under our names. For $30, there's never been a better deal on a computer game that looks like it's going to be this good. I'd have paid more.

-Game Content: I played the first game. I had a hard time believing it was made in... what, the 90's? It had a lot of untapped potential, and a sequel is the right way to go with this. Not only that, but it was the style of the game that got my attention. Anthropomorphic characters are just cool. Add to that Parkour (which I actually practice, so it's nice to see someone trying to get it right), excellent, over the top fighting, and every bell and whistle that you guys have in there right now, and you've got a game that I absolutely MUST have. At the moment, there isn't a single thing I don't like about the direction this game is going.

Slightly

Post by Slightly » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Caught some of the Dev vids While watching some E3 clips on Gametrailers.com. After that I got hooked on looking at the concept art time-lapses and open sourcy structure.

Also truly I can say that the last thing the world needs is another space marines who's the world last and only hope bla bla bla... So I'm glad to see another interesting IP with a fresh aesthetic.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Slightly wrote:Also truly I can say that the last thing the world needs is another space marines who's the world last and only hope bla bla bla...
Shhh! The "Space Harines" bit is supposed to be a secret! :lol:

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Slightly wrote:Also truly I can say that the last thing the world needs is another space marines who's the world last and only hope bla bla bla...
Shhh! The "Space Harines" bit is supposed to be a secret! :lol:
This makes me remember the "Hare: ODST" level from tannims challenge map pack.

Slaktings

Post by Slaktings » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:20 pm

There was a nice little thread up on /v/ a couple of hours ago bout Overgrowth. So I youtubed it, and well... Here i am 8)

princecinnamonboots

Post by princecinnamonboots » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:29 pm

I've been reading ur blog for a while, and when u announced overgrowth i began saving up $ for it. (...I saved up for 2 years...)

skaaq

Post by skaaq » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:26 am

Watch random youtube video (like a year ago) till I see a man with a pink beard...

shadowspot

Post by shadowspot » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:08 am

I ended up watching the yogscast trailers and i saw the Overgrowth art assets trailer and just that made me want to get the game.

Sythess

Post by Sythess » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:14 am

Was watching some E3 coverage on Game Trailers.com and they had the alpha 133 vid. Watched it, and was completely stunned. Went onto your Youtube channel watched the alpha videos multiple times. Pre ordered and have been loving the alpha ever since.

Abbehemoth

Post by Abbehemoth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:11 am

I was watching TBs WTF is Trine and from there stumbled onto the HUmble Bundle offer and somehow got here.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:23 am

Found out about Wolfire through the Humble Indie Bundle

Then I found out about Overgrowth on their website and promptly bought it

AuxPriest

Post by AuxPriest » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:54 am

/v/ because they keep viraling this game because it looks amazing. Post every new alpha video when it's released. After watching so many, I got so excited I HAD to preorder.

Cimetière

Post by Cimetière » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:53 pm

I dwell /v/ and usually most of the things over there are either Viral and Buyer's remorse threads OR in some rare cases people make threads about good existing or upcoming games to discuss. In this case Anon told me about Overgrowth.

What made me interested in actually using some of my RARE money to pre-order (I'm unemployed, working here and there to cover bills, etc.) is the fact that you show A LOT of dedication in your project AND that you actually are in touch with the community (unlike most of the bigger guys out there who seem to be having a diarrhea of redundant clones), getting their ideas and making them possible will ultimately make the game better than it could have been.

Good luck.

Mobon1

Post by Mobon1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Saw it on Facepunch I believe at first a month or so ago. I was impressed with all the attention to detail like the other poster said, and gradually as I saw more and more updates I decided I needed this game.

StompJunkman

Post by StompJunkman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Preorder videos on gametrailer's made me very interested in it. I just got it and am now setting it up. Seems to run really smooth so far on my Win7 x64 i5-750, GTX470-equipped computer.