Unofficial Overgrowth a114, weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Unofficial Overgrowth a114, weekly build

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:49 am

The unofficial, Overgrowth a114 leaked build is here!

(watch in hd)

Changelog:
- Layered animation with bone weighting
- Ragdoll animation integrated with normal animation
- Script control of ragdoll strength
- Script control of animation layers
- Script access to torso orientation
- Active falling script with flailing and protection
- Painful death script with ragdoll writhing
- New Overgrowth icon
- Objects can specify if they spawn in the ground or on the ground

A "leaked build" is when John and I grab the latest SVN build and package it up for you guys. It has a ton of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David and Aubrey but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly!

*NEW* If you find any bugs, please email a full description along with your system specs to [email protected]. We are testing out a new bug system.

*NOTE* Please remember that these are unofficial alphas and they do not represent a finished product. They are not even polished builds, just straight up raw development dumps not intended for public consumption.

To download the alpha, use one of these links (please use the mirrors!)

Win (exe): slow original fast EU mirror 1 *new* fast US mirror 1 BitTorrent - please seed
MD5 = f11fc5111b1f2d11d17286e85d50beec

Mac: slow original fast EU mirror 1 *new* fast US mirror 1 BitTorrent - please seed
MD5 = f286e47cefc24c360fbad7b70ded194c

Please use the speedy mirrors, they are all graciously provided by Mow of FoCo Gaming and should provide much faster download speeds. They will also save us a lot of money. :D

Just want the changes from the last alpha to a114? http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/diffs/a114-1.zip

Subscribe to the dev blog!

Note! No Linux support at the moment -- we are waiting on Awesomium for these. AJS says that Linux support is on the horizon, but we cannot make any concrete estimates for it. In the meantime, we are working with the creator of Berkelium to switch to that, which has a Linux build, so we will no longer be dependent on Awesomium.

elfprince13

Re: Unofficial Overgrowth a114, weekly build

Post by elfprince13 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:50 am

Silly jeff, kept me up all night waiting to see the awesomeness!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:57 am

BitTorrent should come tomorrow.

By the way, the auto-updater seems to work on my Mac... going to post some instructions tomorrow, and I will try to get it working on Windows too.

diered97

Post by diered97 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:03 am

When are you guys gonna create blood for overgrowth im really curious lol

Vox

Post by Vox » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:25 am

when there are wounds, cuts and broken bones, the pain animation will look much better, however it might be best for there to be a probability of instant KO from a head injury.

Talking more about the pain system, fights tend to get the adrenalin going, and this cancels out most pain, it'll probably only hurt when the person who's hurt realises that a limb is broken, or see's how badly they are bleeding. I realise how hard that is to script, but if you can think of a way then it could add some realism.

The active ragdolls have done well, just as they are they add allot, might be wise to alter the pain animation to have less kicking around, as people in pain normally extend one leg and keep the other up, then grab whichever body part is in pain, while the stomach curls up and extends.

Might be nice now to add a 'hanging' animation, say you roll or trip off a ledge, then grab it at the last moment with one or two hands, your lower body will flail around a bit then swing until you gain balance.

It would be nice to see some sort of falling damage, it's a bit silly how far you can fall at the moment.

Good work!

[EDIT]

diered97 wrote:When are you guys gonna create blood for overgrowth im really curious lol
Technically they have added the blood particle effects and shaders already, but development is one stage at a time, as they are at the moment they can work on anything they want, since there is allot left to do.

Toby

Post by Toby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:28 am

Yes! He did what I was hoping for. Now the fighting is so immensely cool. Can't wait to try it!
Also, how do I make myself a wolf?

thelight

Post by thelight » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:36 am

The US mirror for PC appears to be busted.

Vox

Post by Vox » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:37 am

Toby wrote:Yes! He did what I was hoping for. Now the fighting is so immensely cool. Can't wait to try it!
key's 1 through 5 to change character.
It might be worth having a sticky topic for FAQ, I know there is already an FAQ but it seems allot of people need to know the controls.

Toby

Re:

Post by Toby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:58 am

Vox wrote:
Toby wrote:Yes! He did what I was hoping for. Now the fighting is so immensely cool. Can't wait to try it!
key's 1 through 5 to change character.
It might be worth having a sticky topic for FAQ, I know there is already an FAQ but it seems allot of people need to know the controls.
Agreed and I can't seem to make the pain system work for when you fight. I can only trigger it by holding down the N key.

Azminday

Post by Azminday » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:13 am

thelight wrote:The US mirror for PC appears to be busted.
Same hear, i have had problems with the 'Fast US mirror' before.

thelight

Post by thelight » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 am

After playing around a bit here are some things I'd like to present:

Collision for some models is a bit off. The wolf model especially.
1: Image 2: Image 3: Image
4: Image 5: Image 6: Image
7: Image

1. During falling, wolf model's knee goes a bit into its face
2. Rabbit models seem to be well done, except non-default models have foot collision issues
3. Wolf during bow procedure. Bow slices through head and foot collision issues for this model too.
4. Another shot of bow procedure.
5. Wolf model roll, model goes through terrain.
6. During active fall, wolf arms go through head and are generally misplaced relative to rabbits
7. Another shot of active fall oddity

Then there's these weird things that happened:
1: Image 2: Image 3: Image

1. Setting the game into slow motion and then dropping the wolf model makes it spazz.
2. Another shot of spazzing once menu closed.
*** problem fixes itself once put back into normal-speed mode or close to ground while in slow-mode.
3. If one presses 'N' while moving, this happens.
*** Fixed by remaining stationary and pressing the same key again.

Novado

Post by Novado » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 am

I like 'active ragdolls' animation. I am curious how the editor of the animation will change because of that feature, or it will not?
I do not really know if it was there before, but I lose my FPS when
bots dies. For example, when 6 bots start to fight each other I had about 30 fps, and when all of them dead I have only 7.
Sorry for my english. Good at translate, bad at everything else.

Warrow

Post by Warrow » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:17 am

As with the previous Alpha... I'm unable to attack. I don't know what the issue is but I can do everything but attack and set Guards into hostile mode. I've re-installed multiple times and I haven't edited any options other then resolution. I'd really like a solution or tips on how to fix this issue, thanks.

P.S Active Ragdolls are sweet. :P

Warrow

Post by Warrow » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:25 am

Warrow wrote:As with the previous Alpha... I'm unable to attack. I don't know what the issue is but I can do everything but attack and set Guards into hostile mode. I've re-installed multiple times and I haven't edited any options other then resolution. I'd really like a solution or tips on how to fix this issue, thanks.

P.S Active Ragdolls are sweet. :P
I seem to have fixed it... I changed my model, then changed it back to turner.

thelight

Post by thelight » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:40 am

Novado wrote:I like 'active ragdolls' animation. I am curious how the editor of the animation will change because of that feature, or it will not?
I do not really know if it was there before, but I lose my FPS when
bots dies. For example, when 6 bots start to fight each other I had about 30 fps, and when all of them dead I have only 7.
Sorry for my english. Good at translate, bad at everything else.
Yeah, I'm also experiencing FPS dips when spawning multiple enemies