Running on Mac (possible explanation)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
RealoFoxtrot

Running on Mac (possible explanation)

Post by RealoFoxtrot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:51 am

I read somewhere on the forums that some people were having problems (though i cant remember, if someone knows please link) and i believe i know why.

Mac OS X 10.5 (the version i use) doesn't support games very well. I had read that the guy with problems was using a laptop he had from three years ago (same as this one) which wouldn't work, but on the new one he could.

This is due to the firmware features in Mac OS X 10.6 which allow for better game support

I don't know what this new change, I first found this out when World of Warcraft on Mac didn't do Fancy things cause it said "requires 10.6", but i do know that it appears to be caused by the different software between the two operating systems.

(Please be aware that i am speaking from my own experience. If someone knows more about this, would you please be kind enough to contribute)

Mango

Re: Running on Mac (possible explanation)

Post by Mango » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:02 am

I think apple just updated OpenGL for 10.6, but not 10.5. No doubt to persuade more people to upgrade... I don't think there's a lot you can do to fix this, other than getting Snow Leopard.

RealoFoxtrot

Post by RealoFoxtrot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 am

Yeah, sounds about right.

I'm lucky cause i can use a PC or a 10.6, but just letting other people out there know about this.

jaketa

Post by jaketa » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 am

Hi, I think you are talking about me, as I said I was having problems with my 3 year old Macbook.

But what you are saying is not the case, as I have installed OS X 10.6.6 on both laptops!

RealoFoxtrot

Post by RealoFoxtrot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:45 pm

well, my mac is 3 years old at Easter.

yeah, you posts were what I was talking about though now that I've seen them again it seems different.
Problems I get are with the characters and Rabbot, crashes when it loads either of them

Shepard

Post by Shepard » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:50 pm

I'm getting the same problem

My Mac is 2 years old (I think its the same OS) and my copy keeps shutting down whenever I load up Rabbot :(

Heavy420

Post by Heavy420 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:11 pm

This is because of shaders, older macs can't support the shaders in this game, while newer ones can (I have the very newest model of macbook pro and it doesn't crash.) I used to have a 2 year old macbook, and David gave me some replacement files to make it work, but sadly I don't have them anymore :(

RealoFoxtrot

Post by RealoFoxtrot » Mon May 02, 2011 6:01 pm

sorry for bringing this back up ages after the last post, but would just like to confirm that this is indeed the case.

Upgraded the Laptop that wasn't working, bad-da-bing, working.