Project Showoff

The Fool Arcana

Re: Project Showoff

Post by The Fool Arcana » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Unfortunately no, it would need more coconut for that. :)

I forgot to mention it but don't step on the cake. The game can't take the fact that you stepped on such a marvelous cake and begins to lag (from 120 fps to 13fps). It's probably the small objects on the top that do this.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:15 pm

I have created a map that I call "hex_01", because it's my first map using the hex models made by Aubrey and I didn't feel like coming up with a cool name :P . This platforming level should be easy enough for anyone to finish. It has instructions for every obstacle, so it's much like a tutorial level where you'll learn about the basic obstacles that might show up in eventual future hex maps.
Instructions
Instructions
Outside view
Outside view
An obstacle
An obstacle
It should only take a few minutes to get through, even if you haven't played OG before. So please try it out and let me know what you think!

Code: Select all

To install:
Unzip the Data folder into your Overgrowth directory, merging the contents of it with your current Data folder. No files should be replaced.

To play:
Start the game and in the "load custom level" box, type "hex_01.xml" without the quotation marks. Make sure you remember the .xml at the end.

I suggest you calculate lighting before playing for the best experience, to do that go to the Edit tab in the game and press the "calculate shadows" button. When that is done press ctrl + S (cmd + S on Mac) to save the calculated shadows so you won't have to do it again.

You can also calculate ambient occlusion there if you want to, it does make it look at little bit better, but nothing huge, and it takes a bit longer than calculating the shadows, so it might not be worth it for some people. Remember to save the map with ctrl + S (cmd + S on Mac) after doing this so you won't have to do it again.
Download:
hex_01.zip
Level zip
(130.1 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
Enjoy

The Fool Arcana

Post by The Fool Arcana » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:34 pm

It was a nice simple map, and the prize is great. I might want to wall my maze later and make a platforming map next. I made the maze too big, and I can't wall it without either having undetailed walls or lag from the abundance of blocks. I would probably need about 200-300 blocks to wall the maze normally, lowering the fps from 110 to an unplayable level.

For reference I run hex_01 at 120 fps on average.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks Arcana!

You could use a model that has a detail texture so the texture doesn't stretch when you upsize it, but instead just tiles.

The Fool Arcana

Post by The Fool Arcana » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but which square shaped objects have detailed textures? I am currently using standard crete blocks. You can see that it is stretched, but it still has a detail texture file. If this is cleared up I may just be able to post the map, have no lag, and still have it look alright. :D

I still will have a bit of delay on posting the map from swapping the models to homework and papers I have a fair amount of things to do. I'll post it eventually though.

Markuss

Post by Markuss » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Blue Shards:

http://www.markstockton.com/forum/BlueShards.zip

Instuctions: merge with your data folder, no files should be overwritten.
level name: "BlueShards.xml"

(takes a long time to load, 3-4 mins)
Last edited by Markuss on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:16 pm

That's amazing markuss =) very original!

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Markuss wrote:Blue Shards:

omg that is so cool. badazz skybox! downloading right now

Disco Science

Post by Disco Science » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Really beautiful work, and good use of the new hexagonal column. I especially liked how the lightmapping on the "sprouting" clusters resembled subsurface scattering from some angles. :)

The Fool Arcana

Post by The Fool Arcana » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:42 pm

Now this is beautiful. If a level were chosen to show off of what landscaping should be in level design this would be the the one. Keep up the good work.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Markuss wrote:Blue Shards:

This should be in the game

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:15 pm

anybody know how I can change the skybox? I would like to see how the Blue Shards skybox looks on my new map

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:35 pm

Alpharius wrote:anybody know how I can change the skybox? I would like to see how the Blue Shards skybox looks on my new map
You can change it in the xml file, just open up the blueshards level, and find the sky section, then copy and paste that into your level's file. You will also need to change to the night shader (according to Marcuss) but I don't know how to do that...

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:25 pm

ariehl wrote:
Alpharius wrote:anybody know how I can change the skybox? I would like to see how the Blue Shards skybox looks on my new map
You can change it in the xml file, just open up the blueshards level, and find the sky section, then copy and paste that into your level's file. You will also need to change to the night shader (according to Marcuss) but I don't know how to do that...
did that. plus, i was originally working on the painted desert(night) map, so the shader is already on night. when i load the map i get a series of error messages, it switches to "defalt textures' and the whole sky is blank, which i dont understand because i've already moved all of the Marcuss files to the proper overgrowth files. But the Blue shards map works just fine, so i'm kinda lost.

The Fool Arcana

Post by The Fool Arcana » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm not really all that good when it comes to programming, but I think you just need to copy and paste his sky DomeTexture line into the xml of a new map. Here is his Sky box text (as far as I can tell):

<Sky>
<DomeTexture>Data/Custom/Markuss/BlueShards/Sky.tga</DomeTexture>
<SunAngularRad>0.164759</SunAngularRad>
<SunColorAngle>313.404</SunColorAngle>
<RayToSun r0="-0.084527" r1="0.491242" r2="0.866912" />
<ExtraAO>1</ExtraAO>
</Sky>

The spacing isn't actually shown but the first indented line (DomeTexture) should be what you are after. Just be sure that the 3 Sky.tga files are still there. I haven't tested it, but I hope that works.