Throwing

Advance123

Throwing

Post by Advance123 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:02 pm

Hello, I'd like to make a suggestion for a mod that allows greater throwing capabilities in Overgrowth.
While most weapons are very accurate when you throw them, some such as the spear and the two-handed sword aren't, as well as a lot of custom weapons.

The idea I've been thinking about is that you hold down the throw button at any point, with a weapon in your hand, Turner would pull back his arm with the weapon and extend his other arm to point, then the camera would appear close to Turner's shoulder. Perhaps a reticule could appear on the screen and you could move Turner's POV by moving the mouse, and walk about with the normal controls. When you let go of the throw button, Turner would throw the weapon wherever the reticule is. It would work similar to how the boomerang works in Zelda games.Image

I would love to see someone make a mod of this, if it is possible. I have little knowledge with modding so I neither know how to do it or how easy it would be to do it. I think this would be a good mechanic for the final game, for example, there could be some ropes you need to cut to let down a bridge or hit a lever through a window to open a door.

Thanks for reading, I'd like to know what you think :)

mikey661

Re: Throwing

Post by mikey661 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:19 am

It could work, but with enemies moving around so fast in the game it could be very hard to aim. Plus the game already has automatic aiming which is very precise, the only problem is what you said, the spears and 2 handed swords dont throw very well, it will probably be fixed in an alpha or two.

That being said, this idea could work in slow-motion!

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 am

I started reading, scrolled down a little bit, saw Legend of Zelda and was like "NOPE".

Overgrowth just isn't Overgrowth if you start incorporating on-screen UI like icons, power bars, reticles etc...

Find a way to do this without ANY additional screen overlay and I would be interested.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:08 am

A reticule can work. Mount & Blade's aiming icon is much less conspicuous, for example.

Advance123

Post by Advance123 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:34 am

Perhaps if it goes first person the Turner's outstretched arm could become the reticule.

Noz

Post by Noz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:22 pm

Endoperez wrote:A reticule can work. Mount & Blade's aiming icon is much less conspicuous, for example.
But a tiny bit of HUD UI is a big leap from none at all. Personally, I prefer no UI. It's one of the reasons I loved Mirror's Edge so much.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:17 am

I appreciate that, but can you have manual aiming without aiding help?

How would you tell the player the exact place he is aiming at without showing the exact place he is aiming at? If that can't be done, a reticule is necessary for manual aiming.

There are ways to automate aiming so that the player doesn't need to know the exact place, but for manual aiming (that's what was suggested in this tread), from anywhere except close distance, head position or any other indicator based on the pose won't be enough.

If you have nothing in the screen and character's position isn't enough, what's left?

Manipulating the screen itself (everything is aimed to the camera's center) is one option, and that kind of stuff did happen in the 90s' FPS games, I think, but then debs started added reticules and other aiming helpers. I haven't played those kinds of games myself, so if anyone has experience from those, it would be appreciated. I think that reticule should be at least a toggleable option, in that case, since learning to aim without any visual help will be very annoying, and throwing accurately in hectic fights will be difficult even with it.

Another option would be to show some reaction in the target - a white glow, a red dot, the targeted enemy character acting more alert (6th sense "is someone wathching me" stuff), something like that. Most of these are just a different reticule.

bennyp

Post by bennyp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:54 pm

everything about this idea is awesome except the HUD UI. it would wreck the look of the game. people can aim with the centre of the screen and Turner's arm. Great idea.