[Character] The "Bear Clan" character returns!

BotheredMe

Re: [Character] The "Bear Clan" character returns!

Post by BotheredMe » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 pm

elfprince13 wrote:You should have your bear make a video endorsing Overgrowth. Something about the "bear" necessities if gaming. ;)
*Gets in a fight with four wolves, kills them all*
I BEAR-LY got away with that...

bennyp

Post by bennyp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Garsh! This is awesome! I can't wait to see it animated and in game. I can just see turner trying to leg cannon this bad boy and bouncing right off of his forehead ;)
Or a spear getting stuck in his belly, and him just getting pissed and charging at you ;)

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm thinking that with the recent retargeting david did on the wolf rig, I may have another go at rigging this and getting it in game. If we can replace the wolf model with the bear model and have it use the wolf animations in game we'll be halfway there. I may do some tests over the next month or so.

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:I'm thinking that with the recent retargeting david did on the wolf rig, I may have another go at rigging this and getting it in game. If we can replace the wolf model with the bear model and have it use the wolf animations in game we'll be halfway there. I may do some tests over the next month or so.
That's great. :) I'm on Steam as always if you want my help with anything!

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 am

Black_Stormy wrote: ... replace the wolf model with the bear model and have it use the wolf animations in game ...

But seriously, if you get the Bear rigged as a Wolf, consider using my 'Wild' move-set for his attack animations.

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:34 am

That's some very neat animations! I don't know how to implement stuff like that (yet) but I'd be happy to try once (and if) Black_Stormy can get it working. And judging by your other Youtube videos, I'd say you probably know more than us at animations and fighting. Would it be okay if I asked you for help later on perhaps?

Also... man now I got a bit pumped on getting this guy in-game. Shame I got so much stuff to pull through before that though. :(
I recently graduated from my university so I need to apply for a job, before I overstay my welcome at my parent's place.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 am

Andrige wrote:That's some very neat animations! I don't know how to implement stuff like that (yet) but I'd be happy to try once (and if) Black_Stormy can get it working. And judging by your other Youtube videos, I'd say you probably know more than us at animations and fighting. Would it be okay if I asked you for help later on perhaps?
Thanks for the kind words. None of those attacks are 'new' animations. I just fooled around with existing animations and pushed the limit of what they were capable of doing by tweaking the attack .xml files.

I remember Anton and Silverfish saying that nobody else has really been exploring the realm of custom attacks, so maybe I am charting new territory to some degree. I would be honored to get involved with perfecting the Bear's persona by finding the appropriate animations and attacks for him. Send me a PM when it is time to talk about such things. (Hopefully soon!)

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Djemps wrote:
Andrige wrote:That's some very neat animations! I don't know how to implement stuff like that (yet) but I'd be happy to try once (and if) Black_Stormy can get it working. And judging by your other Youtube videos, I'd say you probably know more than us at animations and fighting. Would it be okay if I asked you for help later on perhaps?
Thanks for the kind words. None of those attacks are 'new' animations. I just fooled around with existing animations and pushed the limit of what they were capable of doing by tweaking the attack .xml files.

I remember Anton and Silverfish saying that nobody else has really been exploring the realm of custom attacks, so maybe I am charting new territory to some degree. I would be honored to get involved with perfecting the Bear's persona by finding the appropriate animations and attacks for him. Send me a PM when it is time to talk about such things. (Hopefully soon!)
That would be great. :)
I'll be doing the animations when we know the rig is functional, and I could use good references or knowledge to make them feel right, so if you've got tips once we're there then I'll definitively need them! I don't want to half-ass it either, since I kind of enjoy making animations, and I can imagine that it would be kind of fun to animate such a heavy character with some awesome melee attacks.

But yes, I totally think you should explore custom attacks. Since it's a proper fighting game, I imagine that different fightingstyles will be way, waaaaay cooler than graphic mods. For example, you can beat the game with different fighting styles and therefore having to play differently each time, or having to examine the enemies you encounter to find out what their fighting style is. That is some serious amount of extra content to play with!

sebbowitch

Post by sebbowitch » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:05 pm

add this now

bennyp

Post by bennyp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 am

doooo itttt!! :D :D

pure_krogan89

Post by pure_krogan89 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:22 pm

you stopped posting on this 2 years ago. have you given up?

Edit: dont acknowledge this post i saw the date joined not time posted

NoSkillz

Post by NoSkillz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am

Djemps wrote: I just fooled around with existing animations and pushed the limit of what they were capable of doing by tweaking the attack .xml files.
Those custom animations look really great. I'm interested in working with these myself. Could you, perhaps, give us some pointers on which factors to look at while we attempt to make new movements?

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:55 am

hey Andrige, can you teach me how to make a texture format in overgrowth, im thinking of making female characters and an old man and or woman, all i need to learn is how to make the textures for overgrowth

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 pm

vallejo18 wrote:hey Andrige, can you teach me how to make a texture format in overgrowth, im thinking of making female characters and an old man and or woman, all i need to learn is how to make the textures for overgrowth
Well, maybe you're speaking about the normal map here, yes?
I have this post in another thread which may help you.

The image shows how the object-space normal map should look like while viewing the colour channels in Photoshop. And overlayed is the blue interface which shows you the proper settings you should use when baking the normal map from the high and low-poly models to the finished normal map texture.

You can save out the textures as .tga-files as well, Overgrowth will compile them to proper .dds-files when you run the game.

I hope that this is what you're asking for, as I won't help you with the modelling and/or programs you need to know to be able to create the model in the first place. That's a bit too much to explain for anyone, really.

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:42 am

I've managed to adapt the skeleton so it works on the bear's mesh now, and it looks quite decent in Blender from what I can tell. It's not perfect and joints are messing up in certain animations, but the good thing is that it's quite consistent with the same animation errors that the wolf has.

However, I've been experimenting for an entire night and today as well, trying to look into the Oni-mod which actually works and see how he'd done it.

From what I can gather after deleting the content which Overgrowth dumps into your 'My Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth' and recreating it again is that it's only the rig that is to blame for it not actually working. It spits out the .obj and .tga files with no effort and its consistent in size to what the Oni-mod gets out (the cached obj-files are slightly bigger than the original .obj).

So, here are the problems I'm facing:
1.) The Phoenix-Bone exporter in Blender v.2.5.5 is not working correctly
2.) The Phoenix-Bone exporter works, but I am selecting or doing something wrong during the export process
3.) The Wolf rig cannot work with the bear model for some reason
4.) I've incorrectly bound the model to the rig and erroneous skinweight is causing it to fail

Here's what I've got:
1.) Apparently the v.2.5.5 exporter should work, since the Oni mod works
2.) I have tried selecting only the DEF-skeleton (deformer skeleton) and the whole skeleton, but it still produces a .phxbn that is equal to the wolf-rig (which is logical, it's the same thing only moved around a bit) and should in theory be correct
3 & 4.) There's no way to tell why the bear model isn't working

I really, really would like to have a better read at WHY it throws out an error. Is there some way to get developer-mode like console that spews out a bit more information?
There's too many factors otherwise to be bothered to spend more effort on making it work...