Contributions to the official release and modding community

wertandrew

Contributions to the official release and modding community

Post by wertandrew » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi,
I am new to this community and I want to contribute but I lack the skills :(
So, I though that I can share these 2 music syntheses I made , so I can be helpful too! I give you full rights to use it btw.

Also, since there is not similar section in the forum (from what I searched so far), anyone who is willing to contribute as well for helping the developpers can post his/her work here!

I hope you like it. Peace

EDIT:

I added "modding community" to ensure I cover as much as I can with this post.

I am also adding the .ogg files which replaces the in game music. To install put the .ogg file in /Overgrowth/Data/Music

Special thanks to CryptoSeven and the rest of the community for helping me with this.

EDIT 2:
I am also adding a replacement for the game's sad-mood music, again free to use by anyone.

EDIT 3:
Added another track replacing the "happy" music of game. Feel free to try :)
Attachments
OVERGROWTH_AMBIENT4.ogg
put this file in .../Overgrowth/Data/Music . Replaces the happy-mood music.
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
lugaru2_ambience1.ogg
put this file in .../Overgrowth/Data/Music . Replaces the sad-mood music.
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
OVERGROWTH_COMBAT5_demo.ogg
put this file in .../Overgrowth/Data/Music . Replaces the combat music.
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
Last edited by wertandrew on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

BotheredMe

Re: Contributions to the official release

Post by BotheredMe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 pm

I like it. I've been meaning to create some ambient and dynamic music to implement into OG, I just can't get audacity to record my guitar w/USB. You sparked my interest, might have to work on fixing that this weekend.

And welcome.

wertandrew

Post by wertandrew » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Hope you get your recording sorted out :)

CryptoSeven

Post by CryptoSeven » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Sounds good.

I think Overgrowth uses .ogg format for music. If you want to try it in game look in directory ../Data/Music. Edit file path in musictest.xml accordingly. Even easier - backup old sound file and replace with new sound file.

wertandrew

Post by wertandrew » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Wow thanks! I will have to make another version though because this has a gap in the middle but thanks for the tip. I will post it here later so anyone can use it as well. Is it possible to have more than one at the same time so that the game chooses randomly the music when battle occurs?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:44 pm

You shouldn't be aiming to to professional stuff. For various legal and moral reasons, accepting free help from people who are paying you is rarely done.

Are you alright with modders using this music? There are already several modders out there, and the number of mods and maps is just going to keep growing.

wertandrew

Post by wertandrew » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:01 pm

You are right on saying that, but this is different from me purchasing the Alpha, a different matter. It is up to the developper's choice to do anything he likes with it (including to reject the work of course), more like receiving aid. I do not aim to deviate or distrort the project in any case and I do not mind if the developper will give credit or not because I made this track for fun and open to everyone. Same to all the modders out there, this music is free and can be used anywhere with no credit whatsoever, although they should wait a little bit because I am testing the full-scale track now (I am going to upload in a while).. :D

Hg341

Post by Hg341 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:13 pm

in level.as

Code: Select all

void UpdateMusic() {
    int player_id = GetPlayerCharacterID();
    if(player_id != -1 && ReadCharacter(player_id).GetIntVar("knocked_out") != _awake){
        PlaySong("sad");
        return;
    }
    int threats_remaining = ThreatsRemaining();
    if(threats_remaining == 0){
        PlaySong("ambient-happy");
        return;
    }
    if(player_id != -1 && ReadCharacter(player_id).QueryIntFunction("int CombatSong()") == 1){
        PlaySong("combat");
        return;
    }
    PlaySong("ambient-tense");
}

wertandrew

Post by wertandrew » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks for showing the location. So the code tells the game which music to play but how can the game choose from two different combat tracks for example randomly so it doesn't play the same all the time?
Btw I made and tested the new music track. It loops correctly and plays when it should. To install put the attached file ( make a backup first) into Overgrowth/Data/Music.

Enjoy! :)
Attachments
OVERGROWTH_COMBAT5_demo.ogg
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 29 times

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Contributions to the official release and modding commun

Post by Constance » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:23 pm

This is something I wanted a long time ago; To have multiple tracks of music. We have to do this.

Hg341

Post by Hg341 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 am

haven't tested it but this should work
int threats_remaining = ThreatsRemaining();
if(threats_remaining == 0){
int x = rand()%2;
if(x<=1){PlaySong("ambient-happy");}
if(x==2){PlaySong("combat");}
return;
}

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:10 am

Currently the music is hard coded (unless things have changed) so there is no way to pull from a pool of resources (although, there are other sound effects that use pools, so it shouldn't be "too" hard to make happen). When I released a music mod for Overgrowth, I provided multiple .xml files that you could drop in, so it would play which ever "set" of music you wanted. - This method also means that you don't have to replace the music, but can leave it named whatever you like (and you don't have to replace the original audio tracks, just the .xml file that references them.)

Your tracks have a nice feel to them though. If you are looking for any critiques, I think there is some eq changes you could make, especially on the "sad" music to make that flute part come through better. The pads are very full, and kinda dominate that whole sonic spectrum.

wertandrew

Post by wertandrew » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:55 am

Yes you are right the flute is not heard so clearly. Thank you for this feedback. So how can I do what you said with the .xml files?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:56 pm

wertandrew wrote:Yes you are right the flute is not heard so clearly. Thank you for this feedback. So how can I do what you said with the .xml files?
I would suggest you download my music mod that I linked in the previous post, as it might help you understand what to do. But basically you need to find the xml file that tells the game what to play. It should be the file Data/Music/musictest.xml

when you open that file, you can just change the song list by editing the song path. For example in my mod, I change:

<combat path="Data/Music/OVERGROWTH_COMBAT5_demo.ogg"/>

into:

<combat path="Data/Custom/Anton/Music/RD_Combat.ogg"/>
This will playback my song "RD_Combat.ogg" which is located at Data/Custom/Anton/Music/

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 pm

But what if you use a third-party program to swap up the .xml's songs each time you launch up Overgrowth?