Need help making first level

Divadrr

Need help making first level

Post by Divadrr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Hello,

I would like to make a level and would appreciate some basic help with starting the process. I'm using a Mac.

1. How do I save a level? It seems that there is no "save as" only a "save level" button. Where is it being saved? Also, when I try to load a saved level on the main menu an error pops up.

2. What should I keep in mind when making a level to prevent it from not working?

3. How do I upload my level?

Macrauchenia

Re: Need help making first level

Post by Macrauchenia » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 am

1. Hitting the "Save level" button will save whatever level you are working on. So if you're working on one of the default maps and hit save, whatever changes you made will show up next time you load it. It's advisable to find what map you want to work with, then make a copy of it and rename it to what you want.

2. Not all people have every object/character, so it's best to use the objects that are avaliable in the O2 tab. Or if you are using custom objects, package them in a .zip file with your level.

3. There is an "Upload attachment" tab when you make a new post. As long as the file is under 2mb you're good. If it's over 2mb, you can go to http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/ and upload it there.

Hope that helps, looking forward to your level(s)!

Divadrr

Post by Divadrr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks Macrauchenia for the quick replay. I found some other helpful posts on the forums that explain everything. I just had to look for it, sorry. However, the .xml files are not showing up in the levels folder. I have a Mac, so maybe it's not allowing me to view the text files for some reason. I found everything under application support, but all the folders seem to be empty. Can you help?

Edit: I found out how to locate the files.

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Divadrr wrote:Thanks Macrauchenia for the quick replay. I found some other helpful posts on the forums that explain everything. I just had to look for it, sorry. However, the .xml files are not showing up in the levels folder. I have a Mac, so maybe it's not allowing me to view the text files for some reason. I found everything under application support, but all the folders seem to be empty. Can you help?

Edit: I found out how to locate the files.
I have a Mac too, to find the levels folder u r looking for you right click the og app and go show content or if you have the sum launcher then go links data folder and it will be there

Divadrr

Post by Divadrr » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi, I finished my first level, but now that it's all done the frame rate is down to 8 fps. This started happening when I added NPC's and display text. When I upload the level will people have the low fps or is that just on my end? Is there a way to fix this before I upload? I would appreciate any help, thank you.

It would be great if someone could play test my level before I submit it. Anyone interested?

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:38 am

NPCs are a main source for decreased frame rates. This is not a bug but simply a sign that your system has problems handling the many tasks an AI in Overgrowth throws at it. People with more powerful systems might not have this problem.
For me the frame rate starts to drop if there are roughly four NPCs close by.