Last's Blood Mod / no death mod

EmoArcanineVII

Re: Last's Blood Mod / no death mod

Post by EmoArcanineVII » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:31 pm

are you ever gonna update to 209? i really want to fly with tengu sense he cant jump for shit.

RedSweaterToast

Post by RedSweaterToast » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:04 am

EmoArcanineVII wrote:are you ever gonna update to 209? i really want to fly with tengu sense he cant jump for shit.
The user responsible for the mod package has been inactive since 2013.
Also does anyone know what language this was scripted in?

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:15 am

RedSweaterToast wrote:
EmoArcanineVII wrote:are you ever gonna update to 209? i really want to fly with tengu sense he cant jump for shit.
Angelscript

RedSweaterToast

Post by RedSweaterToast » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:09 am

rodeje25 wrote:
RedSweaterToast wrote:
Angelscript
Did they really have to write it in such a hard-to-learn language.
Seriously props to whoever knows how to understand the Angelscript website.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:16 am

RedSweaterToast wrote:
It doesn't look that hard if you look at the code. Oh and since apparantly it supports their superior tech it's a good choice to use it.

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:13 pm

rodeje25 wrote:
RedSweaterToast wrote:
It doesn't look that hard if you look at the code. Oh and since apparantly it supports their superior tech it's a good choice to use it.
its not as simple as it looks, gets annoying when people that seem to have never coded before bash those that try to learn.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:57 am

samjb1992 wrote:its not as simple as it looks, gets annoying when people that seem to have never coded before bash those that try to learn.
I don't think anyone you quoted tried bashing anyone. One says they think it looks really hard and the other answers that they think it doesn't look hard if you look at actual code. Just opinions.

RedSweaterToast

Post by RedSweaterToast » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:07 am

Silverfish wrote:
samjb1992 wrote:its not as simple as it looks, gets annoying when people that seem to have never coded before bash those that try to learn.
I don't think anyone you quoted tried bashing anyone. One says they think it looks really hard and the other answers that they think it doesn't look hard if you look at actual code. Just opinions.
Coding is one thing I've never been able to wrap my head around, and anything that I have learned goes in one ear and out the other, I suppose to someone who might have practiced in coding even of other languages, they can grasp new ones a little easier.

Also does anyone know what the outdated files are in the mod? I can try comparing them to updated files in base Overgrowth (Or has that been tried already?).

Also after doing a little research, I found that Amnesia was coded in Angelscript, perhaps a few tutorials on coding custom stories could help with learning it?

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:32 am

RedSweaterToast wrote:Also does anyone know what the outdated files are in the mod? I can try comparing them to updated files in base Overgrowth (Or has that been tried already?).
If you download the mod you can see all the script files that have been changed, there are a few. I would suggest using some automated diff functionality in a program to see the difference between the files since they can be quite big. Notepad++ has a plugin for this purpose called "compare" or something like that.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:18 am

Silverfish wrote:
RedSweaterToast wrote:Also does anyone know what the outdated files are in the mod? I can try comparing them to updated files in base Overgrowth (Or has that been tried already?).
If you download the mod you can see all the script files that have been changed, there are a few. I would suggest using some automated diff functionality in a program to see the difference between the files since they can be quite big. Notepad++ has a plugin for this purpose called "compare" or something like that.
i did that and it broke the enemy AI

RedSweaterToast

Post by RedSweaterToast » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:35 am

rodeje25 wrote:
Silverfish wrote:
i did that and it broke the enemy AI
Enemy AI was the main error showing when I first downloaded the mod and tried to run it, are there no ways to fix enemy AI once you update the rest of the script?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:44 pm

The tricky part is deciphering what is different between the files because of updates from this mod, versus what is different because david added new code. You kinda need to check against both the original at the time, and the new vanilla code, and also the new code against this script... I came pretty close once to figuring it out, but I ran into a real issue when I was looking at some of the Ai issues... since I'm not a programmer, I couldn't totally figure it out...

I hope Last is doing alright, I know he said he was going to be busy for a while...

RedSweaterToast

Post by RedSweaterToast » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:34 am

Anton wrote:The tricky part is deciphering what is different between the files because of updates from this mod, versus what is different because david added new code. You kinda need to check against both the original at the time, and the new vanilla code, and also the new code against this script... I came pretty close once to figuring it out, but I ran into a real issue when I was looking at some of the Ai issues... since I'm not a programmer, I couldn't totally figure it out...

I hope Last is doing alright, I know he said he was going to be busy for a while...
Wow, a while was right...
Could you link the AI issues you found? perhaps I could take a crack at it.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:39 am

RedSweaterToast wrote:Wow, a while was right...
Could you link the AI issues you found? perhaps I could take a crack at it.
Unfortunately, I didn't save what I did, because I didn't really trust my results... if I find some time to try it again, I'll send you what I did, but ultimately, it will probably be just as easy for someone who programs to start from where I started, and get better results...

A lot of the code is commented as "flying mod" or similar things in his mod, so some of it is easy to find... just not all of it. And the places that became confusing for me were the ones where the flight mod changed the movement characteristics of the character.

RedSweaterToast

Post by RedSweaterToast » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:53 am

In my two day attempt to actually compare the files, I failed to re-install eclipse because someone thought it would be funny to let people download the C++ version with a handful of corrupted files.
When I downloaded the mod and opened it on a secondary scripting program, my screen froze.
So no luck here.