Trying my hand at modelling and failing

giuls

Trying my hand at modelling and failing

Post by giuls » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:12 am

Long story short, I'm trying create some custom modells for overgrowth, but I seem to make some, probably pretty basic, mistakes, as the finished model is missing various faces and the texture isn't displayed correctly. I just followed the step by step guide on the wiki: I created the model and UVlayout, edited the texture so it fits and set up the folder and xml file. I'm new to modelling so I'm pretty clueless what might be the problem with the models. I hope someone is kind enough to help me out here and thanks in advance to everyone
Attachments
I tried modelling a triubne, but it's missing various faces, the collision is also off for those parts
I tried modelling a triubne, but it's missing various faces, the collision is also off for those parts
this is supposed to be a vase, but it's also missing various faces
this is supposed to be a vase, but it's also missing various faces

giuls

Re: Trying my hand at modelling and failing

Post by giuls » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Alright after some more trail and error it seems that triangulating the models fixed the disappearing faces, so good to know that. This leaves me only with the texture becoming distorted or just very dark. I understood that transparancy makes object less shiny, is there anything else I have to keep in mind in regards to texture? I never get anything close to the actual texture, just extremly pixalated and distorted texture that lack color

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Re: Trying my hand at modelling and failing

Post by halzoid » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:58 pm

You're correct about the triangulated meshes and using the alpha for the reflectiveness of the material, but the main problem with the texture looks like you haven't set up UV maps for the meshes, there will be quite a lot of videos online about it