[MAP] Diamask: The Jade Pass

thebillay

[MAP] Diamask: The Jade Pass

Post by thebillay » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Hello everyone, I am finally done with my first map. I actually have planned to make two more maps after this if you guys like it. It is a story/exploration type of game with some combat mixed in too. There are 4 dialogues built into the level. They can be a little wonky at times and make people flail around a bit as they jump around...so just pretend the character's aren't Jar Jar binks :)

You are Jedic. A skilled archeologist in search of a forgotten city of legend known as Diamask. Since Jedic was little, his uncle told him tales of the fantastic city but spoke as if it was real. He even would read to him from an old bound tomb he called the Noctombra Diamask. The tales spoke of an incredible city built in the middle of the desert. With walls that never seemed to age and structures of impossible grandeur, this place was eternal. This was also supposed to be the birthplace and final rest of many lost arts, including magic.

Growing older, Jedic began to see these tales as myth and grew distant from his uncle. Upon his death, Jedic was sent his belonging including the translated Noctombra Diamask, a map and many pages of mad scribbling's. One of which especially caught his eye. In one of his uncles drawings there was a stone crest that Jedic has seen persistently in his dreams. How could this be? He was compelled to find out. Jedic, being an adept outdoorsman and skilled combatant decided one day to try to find this place and set his questions to rest.

I have played through this map pretty extensively and know of a few things I would like to point out bug wise and for immersion:

1. The dialogues are a little jumpy, also if you pause and dialogue script comes up. Make sure to click stop editing before going back in. Can make you jump back to the last dialogue.
2. Stay away from the dead body...I don't know why but it makes the game crash when stepped on.
3. The path ahead can be tricky, keep any eye out. I commonly leave clues.
4. I recommend not pausing and looking at the map before you beat it. Spoilers and can make you jump back to last dialogue!
5. You will never need to scale shear cliff and may remove the immersion if you try.

Anyway I hope you guys like it and all criticism/advice is appreciated!
Attachments
diamask_thejadepass.xml
(665.85 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Last edited by thebillay on Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:30 am, edited 6 times in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: [MAP] Diamask: The Jade Pass

Post by Constance » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Sounds pretty cool!
I'll try and play it when I get the chance to.

thebillay

Post by thebillay » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I look forward to seeing what you guys think...I updated the file because of typos~!

thebillay

Post by thebillay » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:20 pm

The new alpha definitely made a few parts much harder but it is still all possible. It is much harder to control your jumps now and it seems that certain parts require a running start now.

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:26 pm

I find it easier to control your jumps.

thebillay

Post by thebillay » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Ha ha really? Maybe I just got used to the old way. Well in that case, the level should be easier :)

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:10 am

How were you able to add so much dialogue without the level crashing and breaking all of it? I haven't attempted it since a few alphas back, but i couldn't make more than two dialogue sequences without the game suddenly crashing and bugging them. Great job on the level btw :)

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Supreme job.

thebillay

Post by thebillay » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks you guys, i'm glad you like it! I was worried it was too hard to figure out because I tried to make the path forward a bit challenging to figure out. As for the dialogue I had crashing issues when I started but I found that clearing any prior dialogue text before progressing if you ever have to restart the level was a help. Maybe it was just the new alphas that fixed it though :) Thanks for the feed back and criticism is appreciated too. I will be starting soon on part 2 which will be exploring the secrets of the grand city and the motives of the raiders in Diamask.

Space Wolf Hudson

Post by Space Wolf Hudson » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:00 am

I'm looking forward to part 2 :wink:

Btw, why does this map not show up in SUMLauncher? :o

last

Post by last » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:40 am

Space Wolf Hudson wrote:Btw, why does this map not show up in SUMLauncher? :o
That's because currently the only option to get this into SUM is trough Anton who manages SUM launcher server. This is not automated thing yet, so it will take some time.

Space Wolf Hudson

Post by Space Wolf Hudson » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:18 pm

last wrote:That's because currently the only option to get this into SUM is trough Anton who manages SUM launcher server. This is not automated thing yet, so it will take some time.
Ah ok, good to know, thanks.

Surak

Post by Surak » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:15 pm

When I try to load the level I have a green-black skybox. It only happens for this level though, any idea what could cause this? There is no error, the dome skybox exists and it also does not work with other skyboxes.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Madzelis

Post by Madzelis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 am

this was a fun map