[Character] The "Bear Clan" character returns!

Andrige

Re: [Character] The "Bear Clan" character returns!

Post by Andrige » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 pm

I could easily just polish the character as he was now with proper weighting and even starting on custom animations, but since the ears are folding over themselves like wet rags, head sunken into the body, constantly leaning slightly forward, it would be a baaaaad decision to make. Also, the rabbit animations hardly does the character justice, he looks like a stiff twig. :|

Pickypurpoison

Post by Pickypurpoison » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Take your time, make him a good one!:)

LORD DANNY NL

Post by LORD DANNY NL » Thu May 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Andrige wrote:I could easily just polish the character as he was now with proper weighting and even starting on custom animations, but since the ears are folding over themselves like wet rags, head sunken into the body, constantly leaning slightly forward, it would be a baaaaad decision to make. Also, the rabbit animations hardly does the character justice, he looks like a stiff twig. :|
How is it going now? I'm really really looking forward for this (:

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri May 03, 2013 7:32 am

LORD DANNY NL wrote:
Andrige wrote:I could easily just polish the character as he was now with proper weighting and even starting on custom animations, but since the ears are folding over themselves like wet rags, head sunken into the body, constantly leaning slightly forward, it would be a baaaaad decision to make. Also, the rabbit animations hardly does the character justice, he looks like a stiff twig. :|
How is it going now? I'm really really looking forward for this (:
Don't think he is working on it anymore, but he did release the model and stuff if anyone else wanted to work on him some.

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Fri May 03, 2013 7:44 am

Yes, that's unfortunately the case.

It's been too tricky to figure out and I have more obligations and projects that take higher priority that I can make actual progress on. Once I get spare time in the sense I feel like I can do whatever I want with it, I'll pick this up again.

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Sat May 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Hey, Andrige. I love the idea of a bear character. Do you mind if I make a video showcasing what you've made so far?

- I will of course give you credit

droog

Post by droog » Sun May 05, 2013 4:52 am

Hopefully the Character will be finished anytime. Sooo amazing.. :shock:
Really fantastic concept art as well.

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Sun May 05, 2013 5:38 am

iDubbbz wrote:Hey, Andrige. I love the idea of a bear character. Do you mind if I make a video showcasing what you've made so far?

- I will of course give you credit
Sure! But please say it does not look as intended at this point. Rushed skinweighting will make it look thin, skeleton not configured properly will cause the ears to fold in over themselves and so on... :|

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri May 10, 2013 10:48 am

So I'm thinking I might put this character into the Community Content Browser, but I wanted to check with you first, since it's not "finished". I saw some of the videos, and it looks like it's close, and at least playable, but I understand it's not what you had in mind.

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Fri May 10, 2013 4:16 pm

That's cool, but it's really not presentable enough for me to agree on right now. The current skinweighting makes it look too unfinished and anorexic. I'll see if I can get some time over to do at the very least a decent looking skinweight, and I'll contact you then.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri May 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Andrige wrote:That's cool, but it's really not presentable enough for me to agree on right now. The current skinweighting makes it look too unfinished and anorexic. I'll see if I can get some time over to do at the very least a decent looking skinweight, and I'll contact you then.
That's why I was checking. I'll hold off until you are ready. :)

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Fri May 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks for doing that check Anton, appreciate it.

And as always, if someone feels like they're Blender gurus/gods that thinks they can take on anything... there's a challenge right here... :wink:

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:19 pm

So, for those who don't follow Wolfire's twitter, I saw that David was working on adding in joint scaling into the engine. So I asked him if that would help me and my model.

Long story short, David graciously took it on himself to make a good rig for me! I didn't ask, so you can imagine my surprise! So except a few issues with IK-location (which I had to edit in the aschar.as-file) and re-learning Blender all over, I'm steaming ahead on making new animations and some much needed polish to the diffuse texture (especially with the tinting which apparently is working now).

So the character is definitely - after a VERY long time - going to look and move as I have always intended. David even posted comparison images of the current races, and then for comparison did one with the bear.

I'll keep you posted!
New running animation in action!
New running animation in action!
P.S. And if you want to stay posted on my pet-project Mystling (which I have sunk so many hours on coding the prototype), I urge you to maybe take a look at the Facebook page or maybe skip right ahead to the development journal. :)

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:29 pm

Yeah! That was very nice of David to do, very happy for you. :D

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:27 am

Whoa, thanks for mentioning the Wolfire twitter. There's lots and lots of stuff happening in there.