[Character] The "Bear Clan" character returns!

iDubbbz

Re: [Character] The "Bear Clan" character returns!

Post by iDubbbz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:40 am

Andrige wrote:
P.S. Did anyone like the body paint? I'm uncertain myself, that's why I removed it.
I like the paint. I just think it needs to look less crisp. When I look at it seems too disjointed to be on the bear. Know what I mean?

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:05 am

Thomason1005 wrote:Id rather go with the body paint, as the eyecolor is only notable in dialogues... Maybe a variation with two fur colors and 2 body paint layers?
I really like three layers for the fur. It's set up as 1.) general body, 2.) belly and muzzle, 3.) dark fur at the end of limbs and along the back. It opens up a lot more potential patterns and it's quite nice to just sit and press through the different combinations.
iDubbbz wrote:
Andrige wrote:
P.S. Did anyone like the body paint? I'm uncertain myself, that's why I removed it.
I like the paint. I just think it needs to look less crisp. When I look at it seems too disjointed to be on the bear. Know what I mean?
Yeah, it is an unfortunate thing about the palette. Every channel is applied with multiply, meaning that it easily goes towards looking black/burnt if two of these palette channels overlap.

I'll see what I can do, there is probably a combination that allows for both three fur channels, eyes and body paint. The only thing then is that the body paint will have to use the same colour as something else, such as the eyes, but that's a small drawback in my opinion.

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:22 pm

New patch!

It has added the scaling functionality to the game, which is awesome. I thought I had to reconstruct the character rig, but apparently that wasn't required. After a short discussion on twitter (I feel so dirty for asking for help so frequently), I was told there's another attribute called 'model_scale' that you can add to the character-file. It will adjust the values on the camera offset so you don't need to rework your rig to fit the camera. Makes sense!

I had to recreate the aschar.as file though, as I simply forgot to back it up. That meant all the colors and IK-fixes had to be remade, which kinda sucked. I'm still trying to sort out the IK-location for the feet, unearthing a few left-over debug-snippets and trying to figure out where the heck I need to adjust things. If there's one pro-tip I have to tell you all when making a new model: use the base skeleton and don't mess up the proportions.

The game is understandably not made to compensate for like 1:4 ratio of legs to body. :|

Anyway, here's a few samples of the scaling in action.
2013-11-28 03_06_59-Overgrowth.png
2013-11-28 03_03_49-Overgrowth.png
2013-11-28 03_05_01-Overgrowth.png
2013-11-28 03_15_00-Overgrowth.png

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Colossal bear O_O

akazi

Post by akazi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Man, now I really want to go home to try all this new awesomeness out.;_; do you think you can edit the OP a little since you're working on the character again?

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:07 pm

akazi wrote:Man, now I really want to go home to try all this new awesomeness out.;_; do you think you can edit the OP a little since you're working on the character again?
I haven't tried out joint scaling yet! That's gonna be interesting!

I should probably do that, yes. I'll edit it within the coming days.

last

Post by last » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Have you noticed how the rabbit and the bear always look at each other, they have perfect head rotation and even eye look

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:18 pm

last wrote:Have you noticed how the rabbit and the bear always look at each other, they have perfect head rotation and even eye look
"I am so going to eat you."
"Come at me."

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:27 pm

It is so awesome to see this guy still alive!!!

I know you are working on custom animations, but I'm wiling to bet the custom attack .xml files will also need to be fine tuned. That's probably my only area of expertise in Overgrowth, so let me know if you want me to help you work out some nice attacks once the time is right!

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Djemps wrote:It is so awesome to see this guy still alive!!!

I know you are working on custom animations, but I'm wiling to bet the custom attack .xml files will also need to be fine tuned. That's probably my only area of expertise in Overgrowth, so let me know if you want me to help you work out some nice attacks once the time is right!
Sure! I'll take you up on that later!

However I still have a heap of troubles regarding IK-displacement however, so I'm not entirely sure I'll actually start making more animations before that's fixed. For example climbing ledges causes the character's arms to spaz out, or grabbing chokehold on an enemy is more or less trying to absorb the victim into your own body, and the character's feet is either hovering above ground or inside of it.

It's complicated. :<

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Andrige wrote:For example climbing ledges causes the character's arms to spaz out, or grabbing chokehold on an enemy is more or less trying to absorb the victim into your own body, and the character's feet is either hovering above ground or inside of it.

Would scaling the bear down to rabbit size (at least for the moment) help with some of these problems? (A rabbit sized bear could easily be painted to look like a badger / wolverine / skunk )

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Djemps wrote:
Andrige wrote:For example climbing ledges causes the character's arms to spaz out, or grabbing chokehold on an enemy is more or less trying to absorb the victim into your own body, and the character's feet is either hovering above ground or inside of it.

Would scaling the bear down to rabbit size (at least for the moment) help with some of these problems? (A rabbit sized bear could easily be painted to look like a badger / wolverine / skunk )
I believe it would. It's just that I think what David did was magic when he fixed the rig in under 10 minutes, something I have spent countless hours on working late into the night. I'm... a bit afraid.

But I have the 'blueprint' for how to align the skeleton from the file he gave me, so it's technically doable.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Andrige wrote:
I believe it would. It's just that I think what David did was magic when he fixed the rig in under 10 minutes, something I have spent countless hours on working late into the night. I'm... a bit afraid.

But I have the 'blueprint' for how to align the skeleton from the file he gave me, so it's technically doable.
Ah. Well it seems you have a good vision of what needs to come together next. Scaling the model back down seems like a 'rabbit trail' at this point. Keep us posted with any new progress, even the smallest bit.

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 am

Djemps wrote:
Andrige wrote:

Ah. Well it seems you have a good vision of what needs to come together next. Scaling the model back down seems like a 'rabbit trail' at this point. Keep us posted with any new progress, even the smallest bit.
Thanks, will do.

456blaa

Post by 456blaa » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:53 am

I have not installed this character but I LOVE it! reasons are that it works for the worlds cannon and the size proportions fit for the world and game. of course the bear is so big the rabbits only go up to the bears gut. the wolfs reach almost its shoulders. If this much time an effort was put into other modded in characters it would be just balz 2 t walz.

I mean no offence to the other modded characters, the bat is amazing, the tengu is cool, the fog looks fine, the fox is what made me want to start adding mods to overgrowth and the many other models being made are all amazing.

I'm just saying this one is amazing to me cause of how much lore thought you put into it along side all the technical stuff needed to make a character.

By no means do I know anything about modding or modeling or programming code etc. I just want to say from my heart, the careful thought and detail you put into this character is amazing and I thank you.