Mob pathfinding on a custom map.

Horridius

Mob pathfinding on a custom map.

Post by Horridius » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:40 pm

I would like to make my own custom maps but I can't seem to find how you set up paths for mobs you place. I can manage to place those squares with blue structures in it but I don't know how to connect it to the npc's. Can anyone help me?

Korban3

Re: Mob pathfinding on a custom map.

Post by Korban3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Pathfinding is done in OG using navmeshes. The node paths are for patrol.
I haven't done it yet, but there is a "Generate Nav Mesh" button somewhere in editor. Can someone more knowledgeable elaborate?

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Yes those "node paths" is what I mean. I've seen on other customs map that people have been able to make preset paths with them like you find in some default maps.

last

Post by last » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:42 pm

I think you want to know how to connect those blue sphere with mobs so that they can patrol?

Weird i didn't find enything in wiki about it but...

After you have made a mob and atleast 1 of those blue things, select that mob (2x left mouse button click on it) and hold alt and now select that blue thing (2x left mouse button click on it) that should draw a line betwene your mob and that blue thing.

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Finally :D thanks everyone (and especially last), now I can make my own levels.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Just for technical sake, the little "nodes" are called "waypoints", and that might make it easier to find information about them (I know I mentioned them in a different thread recently...).

Also, even though it is no longer in the game, the method of connecting waypoints is the same method that connecting bones was when the animation tool was working... but the important thing to note about that is, if you hold Shift-alt with a waypoint selected, you will notice the two little circles separate, and you can use that to disconnect a waypoint (or character).

The question with navmeshes is an important one. They will help your characters avoid and navigate around objects, and stop them from running off the side of objects. They are not essential, but they help the behavior of NPCs. Just a warning, even on my pretty powerful computer, they can take a long time to create, upwards of 10 minutes or more, so if the game seems unresponsive during that time, that is why.

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:12 pm

ariehl wrote:Just for technical sake, the little "nodes" are called "waypoints", and that might make it easier to find information about them (I know I mentioned them in a different thread recently...).
Yes that was why I failed to find the information on my own, I didn't knew how to describe them.

And thanks for telling me what the nav meshes are for, always wondered what that did. Now I'll be able to make decent maps.